Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tech support nixer

Options
  • 11-03-2013 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I've bought a few faulty laptops and repaired them and sold them on for a little profit, it's fun and its some cash in my pocket and tonight I thought why not advertise my services, I've been in tech support for nearly 5 years and would be comfortable fixing almost any home related/small business issue.

My idea would be charge 30 euro diag fee, tell the customer what's wrong and how much to fix it, the 30 euro would go towards repair work if they chose to repair it and if not I keep the 30 quid.

I could source parts from retail/eBay initially and add on a small profit margin to make it worth my while.

I'd probably advertise on adverts, gumtree, print up some cards put them in the local tesco/post office.

What do you reckon is it worth my while or bad idea?

My con would kind of be time, I've a baby aged 10 months so I'm free after he goes to bed but then working would suck up time with the wife, so not sure how impressed she would be :p

But with having a baby comes bills so I could do with the extra cash and I have to admit after talking aloud about the idea with my wife I got a little excited about it!

Any one any experience in doing the same?

All advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Firblog

I'd lower the diag fee from €30 to €20, just an easier amt.

Only other advice I'd give is back up the data before doing anything; ESP Photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Just an FYI.

I have noticed a few advertisements around my area with a free diag...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Firblog wrote: »
    I'd lower the diag fee from €30 to €20, just an easier amt.

Only other advice I'd give is back up the data before doing anything; ESP Photos.

Good idea about the price, another idea my friend had would be to pick up the computer from the customers home and then you could charge a little more like 30 or 40!

Backing up the data I would consider a separate service. First question would be "Do you have a valid back up" and as experience will tell me most people will say no. in which case I will inform them about possible data loss and charge them a little extra if they want me to keep their data, although if I cant get it then obviously I wont charge!

T-K-O wrote: »
    Just an FYI.

I have noticed a few advertisements around my area with a free diag...

Its not a bad idea to drum up some business at the start, but I would be worried that people might abuse the service and just get a free diag/second opinion and try and fix it them selves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

in my experience that's exactly what happens. where i worked we didn't charge a diagnosis fee at first until people took advantage of the fact. you end up spending time figuring out what's wrong only for them to walk away and try to repair it themselves.

btw we charged 20 for a diagnosis as already recommended above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Firblog

crazyderk wrote: »
    Backing up the data I would consider a separate service.

I wasn't saying to do it as a service that's included in the diagnostic, just to be safe, if all goes tits up with the PC you at least haven't lost their data.. if you already have it backed up and then they agree to pay for the service well then you're ahead of yourself ;)

I wasn't saying to do it as a service that's included in the diagnostic, just to be safe, if all goes tits up with the PC you at least haven't lost their data.. if you already have it backed up and then they agree to pay for the service well then you're ahead of yourself ;)

Good thinking, great advice! thanks

20 seems to be the number alright!

I suppose I could offer 20 to drop it to me or 30 to pick it up within a certain distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Good idea about the price, another idea my friend had would be to pick up the computer from the customers home and then you could charge a little more like 30 or 40!

Backing up the data I would consider a separate service. First question would be "Do you have a valid back up" and as experience will tell me most people will say no. in which case I will inform them about possible data loss and charge them a little extra if they want me to keep their data, although if I cant get it then obviously I wont charge!

From a economic standpoint, I don't think backing up their data is a good idea. You would in theory have to back up the entire drive, there is no guarantee that they have stored their data in the appropriate locations. Storage cost would be high and you would need some form of redundancy yourself in the form of an array. Then there would be electricity costs involved with that and what would be the appropriate retention rate be? How would you effectively manage that?

I'd offer them a external HD on a markup with clear(idiot) instructions for use. Nothing more.

For data recovery, you could try a no-recover no fee attempt. But be careful of Irish people, far too many of them that simply assume everything should be free and wiggled out of payment.

From a economic standpoint, I don't think backing up their data is a good idea. You would in theory have to back up the entire drive, there is no guarantee that they have stored their data in the appropriate locations. Storage cost would be high and you would need some form of redundancy yourself in the form of an array. Then there would be electricity costs involved with that and what would be the appropriate retention rate be? How would you effectively manage that?

I'd offer them a external HD on a markup with clear(idiot) instructions for use. Nothing more.

For data recovery, you could try a no-recover no fee attempt. But be careful of Irish people, far too many of them that simply assume everything should be free and wiggled out of payment.

The external HD was what I was thinking or say copy their data onto my own external HD reinstall the OS and leave a folder on their desktop saying your old stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

"Your data = your responsibility". Unfortunately, most people do not have a backup, and if they do, it's hardly ever complete or up to date. Reality is, in most cases you'll have to backup and restore (if you ever want to see them again or have them recommend you). You'll also have to retrieve their mails, contacts, account settings including passwords (yes, most of them don't even remember their passwords, "oh, I never have to enter a password, de computer does it automatically"), properly backup and restore smartphone managers, media libraries (the ever so popular iTunes, for example)... a decent system recovery job can be a pain in the behind and don't ever expect to get paid what you think it's worth, because you're always in competition with some clowns who will "install Windows for €20". ;)

Oh, and good luck with your 30 yoyos diag fee... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Its not a bad idea to drum up some business at the start, but I would be worried that people might abuse the service and just get a free diag/second opinion and try and fix it them selves?

I guess that is a risk alright. Like I said just a fyi of what's out there.

Good luck with the business

Torqay wrote: »
    "Your data = your responsibility". Unfortunately, most people do not have a backup, and if they do, it's hardly ever complete or up to date. Reality is, in most cases you'll have to backup and restore (if you ever want to see them again or have them recommend you). You'll also have to retrieve their mails, contacts, account settings including passwords (yes, most of them don't even remember their passwords, "oh, I never have to enter a password, de computer does it automatically"), properly backup and restore smartphone managers, media libraries (the ever so popular iTunes, for example)... a decent system recovery job can be a pain in the behind and don't ever expect to get paid what you think it's worth, because you're always in competition with some clowns who will "install Windows for €20". ;)

Oh, and good luck with your 30 yoyos diag fee... :D

In my previous job I just copied the entire personal profile and then dump that profile on the desktop when I'm done, we were discouraged to get into mail or settings as you would be dealing with them forever after if you did. I would prob take it one step at a time based on this and approach with caution

Can I ask why you think the diag fee is funny? Genuinely interested do you think it's to high? Is there any point in asking for a diag fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭amallon

I've been working as a self employed Tech for the last 4 years up North. I don't see diagnosis and repair as two separate items. A customer rings me up with a problem with the computer, I go collect it, fix the problem and that £40 please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

In my previous job I just copied the entire personal profile and then dump that profile on the desktop when I'm done, we were discouraged to get into mail or settings as you would be dealing with them forever after if you did. I would prob take it one step at a time based on this and approach with caution

Can I ask why you think the diag fee is funny? Genuinely interested do you think it's to high? Is there any point in asking for a diag fee?

Here's the thing, if you tell them, "whatever was on your computer is all in that one folder on your desktop, sort it out yourself", you may not get very far. It certainly is their own fault if they don't have a proper backup but they sure as hell will blame you if it ain't working as it used to be. And a customer who isn't entirely happy is much less inclined to come back or even recommend you.

Your primary objective is getting a foot into the door, drumming up some business. You don't do that by thinking of diagnostic fees or how to save yourself some time. You'll need to do a better job than others (including your previous employer) and you'll have to do it cheaper. Start with "no fix, no fee" (and more often than not, they will pay you for your troubles).

amallon wrote: »
    I've been working as a self employed Tech for the last 4 years up North. I don't see diagnosis and repair as two separate items. A customer rings me up with a problem with the computer, I go collect it, fix the problem and that £40 please.

Do you call them first explaining telling them what the issue is and how much it will be to fix it before proceeding with the work?

If so, what if they said oh no that's too much to fix thanks but no thanks, have you then spent a chunk of your time for nothing?

If not then have you ever fixed something and they say oh that's far to much I'm not paying?

Torqay wrote: »
    Here's the thing, if you tell them, "whatever was on your computer is all in that one folder on your desktop, sort it out yourself", you may not get very far. It certainly is their own fault if they don't have a proper backup but they sure as hell will blame you if it ain't working as it used to be. And a customer who isn't entirely happy is much less inclined to come back or even recommend you.

Your primary objective is getting a foot into the door, drumming up some business. You don't do that by thinking of diagnostic fees or how to save yourself some time. You'll need to do a better job than others (including your previous employer) and you'll have to do it cheaper. Start with "no fix, no fee" (and more often than not, they will pay you for your troubles).

Ok i see where your coming from, invest in customer service now, make a name which is going to cost time/Money but it Would be worth it in the long run.
    That's very good advice, thanks!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

This issue with this business is there are plenty of cowboy "technicians" out there who really do not know what their at. They may also do jobs "cheaper" which is what will attract people. For example, simply removing a virus doesn't just involve running a mbam scan or combofix and then job done. A proper technician will ensure all windows updates have been applied (good ole Vista with the long long SP update process!), plugins have been updated and also use other diagnostic tools (autoruns, otl, etc. to name a few) to observe that the issue has been correctly fixed. A Windows install likewise isn't just simply throw in the CD and away you go. Finding drivers (particularly for laptops) then installing them, additional software I.e PDF Reader, LibreOffice or whatever takes quite a bit of time. Outlook user?.. Then you'll be having fun trying to get the pst files to play nicely :P .
    I have a computer atm I have to fix, that I assume was "serviced" in the past. The main issue that it came in for was not powering on-PSU issue but unbelievably whoever serviced it previously managed to break the plastic clip things on the CPU Heatsink (Intel 775 Skt Stock Cooler) and just left it "stuck on" so it wasn't even cooling the CPU. I wish I was joking, but luckily it was a Celeron DC CPU so probably didn't need too much "cooling" :P

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

R U a Banker?

If you're not, some undesirables (starts with R) may take interest in your ads.

Or so I heard, maybe it's not true...

Do you call them first explaining telling them what the issue is and how much it will be to fix it before proceeding with the work?

If so, what if they said oh no that's too much to fix thanks but no thanks, have you then spent a chunk of your time for nothing?

If not then have you ever fixed something and they say oh that's far to much I'm not paying?

80% of people don't ask me what its going to cost. I've never had anyone complain about my pricing.

If its home computers you are going to be looking at always take them with you and don't fix them at the persons home. If you have them at your place you can do a couple of machines at a time and you're not sitting there bored waiting on a scan to install.

• Advertisement

R U a Banker?

If you're not, some undesirables (starts with R) may take interest in your ads.

Or so I heard, maybe it's not true...

Sorry, not quite sure what you mean by this?

80% of people don't ask me what its going to cost. I've never had anyone complain about my pricing.

Really? I find that quite surprising, if I was asking you to repair my PC the first question would be how much?
    And what if a motherboard needs replacing at a cost of a couple of hundred quid?
    If its home computers you are going to be looking at always take them with you and don't fix them at the persons home. If you have them at your place you can do a couple of machines at a time and you're not sitting there bored waiting on a scan to install.

Oh yes I think that's an obvious one!

Really? I find that quite surprising, if I was asking you to repair my PC the first question would be how much?
    And what if a motherboard needs replacing at a cost of a couple of hundred quid?

Fair point, if there is new hardware involved I will always give a quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I usually tell the person that i will test the system and diagnose it first and then give them an estimate of what it will cost and if they are not happy with that i just tell them to bring it in to pc world or whatever to get fixed and they usually come crying to me again that my price was actually superb as they only realize how expensive it is when brought to a retail repair shop. :)

I never charge for diagnostics, i only charge for the fix & hardware if needed.

I never had a complaint yet and they always come back when they need repair so all good on this side.

I fix computers as a hobbie as i've been doing for years but i take pride in the repair. The repair has to be top-notch or i'm not happy, i take pride in perfection.

One more thing i would advise is in relation to a customers graphics card failure...Be careful of purchasing a second hand card from E-bay or elsewhere as most of those cards have failed and then cooked/baked to work again for a short period of time so be aware. You don't want to be purchasing cards that are dodgy to fix a paying customers computer with. Graphics cards on sale as second hand are notorious that have this issue. Only replace with a new card.

zenno wrote: »
    I usually tell the person that i will test the system and diagnose it first and then give them an estimate of what it will cost and if they are not happy with that i just tell them to bring it in to pc world or whatever to get fixed and they usually come crying to me again that my price was actually superb as they only realize how expensive it is when brought to a retail repair shop. :)

I never charge for diagnostics, i only charge for the fix & hardware if needed.

I never had a complaint yet and they always come back when they need repair so all good on this side.

I fix computers as a hobbie as i've been doing for years but i take pride in the repair. The repair has to be top-notch or i'm not happy, i take pride in perfection.

One more thing i would advise is in relation to a customers graphics card failure...Be careful of purchasing a second hand card from E-bay or elsewhere as most of those cards have failed and then cooked/baked to work again for a short period of time so be aware. You don't want to be purchasing cards that are dodgy to fix a paying customers computer with. Graphics cards on sale as second hand are notorious that have this issue. Only replace with a new card.

Do you often do a diagnostic and then people do not use your service?
    If so could you say how often this happens?

Good advice on the graphics cards, I was actually looking at graphic card issues very recently as a friend of mine has a macbook pro that suffered with the nvidia graphics card issue and the program is now over!

Do you often do a diagnostic and then people do not use your service?
    If so could you say how often this happens?

Good advice on the graphics cards, I was actually looking at graphic card issues very recently as a friend of mine has a macbook pro that suffered with the nvidia graphics card issue and the program is now over!

I always have to do a diagnostic and then i give them a price on how much it will cost, but yes i have had people say to me not to fix it as they don't have the money of which i say no problem. And i also explain to them the cost compared to a pc repair shop and i always encourage them to go and check the cost for repair from these shops just so they know that they are getting a decent deal.

It happens the odd time but if they really want it fixed they will usually pay as i never charge much, well a pc repair shop might charge €120 for a non hardware fix as i only charge 30-40 euro so they know they are getting a good deal and usually let me fix it.

Also in regards to backing up a customers data, you will need to ask them can you back their data up if it is needed in the repair and they should sign a note to say this as it is their private information that is on it. It's always important to tell them when a back-up is needed and for them to ok it with you.

I personally just repair computers now as a hobbie and don't charge friends, well they always buy me a few beers for it anyway but i do charge for others. Strangely enough i have noticed a lot of people say to me...ah sure i'll just buy a new laptop :eek: when their laptop that is broken only has a minor problem, but it happens and i'm in shock.

PS: the macbooks are all super-glued together so it's almost impossible to fix anything in them, even the ram/memory is soldered onto the mobo. I usually steer clear of anything apple. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

zenno wrote: »
    In fairness most video cards don't have the issues, the overheating was mainly the Nvidia 8xxx series, with some of the 7xxx and 9xxx series also effected. Being honest havn't heard about any other problematic cards, of course the danger would be if a person overclocked a video card too much, that could weaken it's lifespan.
    In saying that though I usually only need to replace with a basic GPU for customers, so the cheap 40/50€ ATI/Nvidia cards do the job fine! :)

Nick

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

I charge no diagnostic fees, inform customers of all costs and options before starting to repair and offer a no fix, no fee guarantee. Also collection/delivery within 25km radius. Word of mouth keeps me busy enough!

I agree with the previous poster... always take the kit back to your workshop, never work in a customers house!

Oh... and stay away from printers, never EVER worth the hassle!

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

yoyo wrote: »
    In fairness most video cards don't have the issues, the overheating was mainly the Nvidia 8xxx series, with some of the 7xxx and 9xxx series also effected. Being honest havn't heard about any other problematic cards, of course the danger would be if a person overclocked a video card too much, that could weaken it's lifespan.
    In saying that though I usually only need to replace with a basic GPU for customers, so the cheap 40/50€ ATI/Nvidia cards do the job fine! :)

Nick

Nick

From my experience a lot of laptop GPU's especially, encounter integrated gpu failures over time and also discrete graphics cards within laptops but this is just my experience with this problem, maybe it doesn't happen that often and i'm just unlucky with getting laptops with this issue. With desktops i rarely get one with GPU failures.

• Advertisement

Its great to hear from fellow self employed tech's on this thread. Anyone doing any sort of novel (and free) promotions? I didn't find advertising in the local papers much good, I got a call or two most weeks just about enough to cover the adds. I got loads of calls from people trying to sell more advertising though. I have a business facebook page but its hard to get followers to it so I just use my personal page to advertise offers or services. I rarely do this however and is somewhere I should improve on.

Advertisement