Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter & Graffiti around Ongar area

Options
  • 11-03-2013 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Anyone noticed its becoming more and more of a toilet? we need to have more respect for our area. That walk way between ongar and the schools is hideous, Lot of beer cans, takeaways, snacks, bottles, IRA graffiti and those stupid god damn faces on every wall!!

A lot of it is kids, but there's also nappies and allsorts, these walk ways and green fields should make it really nice area but the people let it down, how can we improve the situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

There are no services or amenities up there, they put 10,000 house units in the size of a whole new town and never worked on the social aspect needed. There's no community spirit and with out that people don't care as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

First up best dressed Johno, a movement starts with one man.

Community clean ups are run successfully in estates near Ongar, everything you need can be found here http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Environment/LitterControl/CommunityClean-Ups/

Your local Councillors might be interested in meeting you to improve local awareness and participation, just the sort of Community spirit you are seeking. They can be contacted here http://www.fingalcoco.ie/YourLocalCouncil/LocalDemocracy/Councillors/Mulhuddart/

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Tidy Towns and residents' associations are the way to go.

These guys do training for both: www.graffitiwipeout.net. Their products are used by councils and Tidy Towns groups. It's safe to use and effective. I've cleaned areas up around my area on my own with it.

Have you any pics of that graffiti?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

zoobizoo wrote: »

Ugg - Those stupid faces and those eye graffiti- they are spreading down from Ongar as far as Clonsilla now.

245721.jpg

There are two big ones near Ongar here...

Link
    (sorry no photo - only location link)

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Whole bunch of mathematical equations (mathematical validity unchecked) have appeared in Lohunda Park the last few days. Really annoying to look at.

ozmo wrote: »
    Ugg - Those stupid faces and those eye graffiti- they are spreading down from Ongar as far as Clonsilla now.

There are two big ones near Ongar here...

Link
    (sorry no photo - only location link)

If I caught one of those knob jockeys, Id do something the mods wouldnt appreciate a description of.

Those would be easy enough to remove within a couple to a few minutes with graffiti remover.

You could do it yourself. I clean graffiti off walls in my area rather than waiting on the council to do it as they take ages to get it removed. Spray it on, leave to soak in and then scrub with a hard brush. Nothing to it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭johnolocher

Those would be easy enough to remove within a couple to a few minutes with graffiti remover.

You could do it yourself. I clean graffiti off walls in my area rather than waiting on the council to do it as they take ages to get it removed. Spray it on, leave to soak in and then scrub with a hard brush. Nothing to it really.

There is tonnes of it, it's not one wall it's all over. No one man could do it. And besides I have seen the council spraying off some last week. It reappeared within 2 days. The root cause needs to be dealt with, ie the scumbags with no respect for the area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

Larbre34 wrote: »
    If I caught one of those knob jockeys, Id do something the mods wouldnt appreciate a description of.

I am sure gay blokes love your description of them LOL how do you know it only the gays doing the graffiti? ?

• Advertisement

I hear ya.

Is there a Tidy Towns committee around there?

The key is to keep on top of it for a couple of weeks and they eventually go elsewhere. As soon as a piece goes up, get it down.

It's an expensive hobby as the cans cost a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

Paint over it.

sure they have the advantage that they can always just do it again, but like someone said spraypaint costs, slop some cheap neutral colour over it.
    ruining their masterpiece might feel good though.

Paint over it.

most of the walls are of natural stone (flint chippings on white cement) - or red brick.
    Cannot just paint over.

“Roll it back”

Another one 'appeared' last weekend...

249206.jpg

One of the residents told me the following

"Two teenagers were at the site the eye was removed, one was rubbing his finger over where the graffiti was.
    Says he got a good description - I wont post it publicly - but prob ok so say they were around 15 years of age."

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭johnolocher

Another one 'appeared' last weekend...

249206.jpg

One of the residents told me the following

"Two teenagers were at the site the eye was removed, one was rubbing his finger over where the graffiti was.
    Says he got a good description - I wont post it publicly - but prob ok so say they were around 15 years of age."

Hopefully they will get to he bottom of it then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I was away for a few days and came back last night to find a flyer for an Ongar clean up last Saturday. Does anyone know how it went? I haven't been around the neighbourhood to properly inspect. The weather would have been great for it on the day! Well done to those behind this initiative. This is what I call community spirit! I'll definitely participate in any future clean ups if I'm around.

Sadly, on a slightly negative note, on returning yesterday evening, I saw bottles and cans dumped on the green area outside my street. Some people have no shame:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bestrunner

Your right those 'faces' and tags so crap! Surely when there is supposed to be cameras everywhere, they must have picked up who was doing it. Re clean up, Aldi are doing those litterpickers for a few quid, if you done 20mins once a week near your home, you would be surprised how clean you can keep it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Was in Ongar this morning, was their a carnival there last night? Filth and dirt everywhere, Crows eating bits of food, jesus that place is looking more and more like a ghetto each day:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

ronan45 wrote: »
    Was in Ongar this morning, was their a carnival there last night? Filth and dirt everywhere, Crows eating bits of food, jesus that place is looking more and more like a ghetto each day:eek:

That's because it is one..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

ronan45 wrote: »
    The bins in the main st haven't been emptied in a few days now and are all overflowing with rubbish.
    Not too sure who is meant to look after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

The wife came home and said that the place is in bits over there,she said its an absolute disgrace...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I noticed it too at the weekend. The main street is a disgrace - has Fingal Co Co taken ownership of the main street or is it a mgt company? Who normally cleans this area as they need to get their act together fast! I'd be ashamed to bring friends/relatives to my home via that route in it's current state!

Havent heard good things about the management company, major shortfall in fee revenues and ineffective at tackling damage and litter in the public areas, its the unfortunate situation thats beginning to reach a tipping point in many such developments. I would encourage owners to get together now and involve your local Councillors as it will only get worse, which in turn will drive out the commercial tenants and youll be into a vicious circle. The place does look dreadful at the moment

Our residents Association is considering buying a SandBlaster - to remove some Graffiti and keep on hand in case it comes back.

Would anyone be familiar with similar and know what Wattage and Size of Air tank we should be looking at?

we've already tried grafitti removers and normal power washers.

ta.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Our residents Association is considering buying a SandBlaster - to remove some Graffiti and keep on hand in case it comes back.
    FCC is just painting over the graffiti that appears on the pedestrian tunnel/bridge over the M50 at the N3 (between 12th Lock and Castleknock Tennis Club).

So, paint might be a cheaper option, if appropriate for the walls in question (i.e. you can't paint on exposed bricks).

daymobrew wrote: »
    FCC is just painting over the graffiti that appears on the pedestrian tunnel/bridge over the M50 at the N3 (between 12th Lock and Castleknock Tennis Club).

So, paint might be a cheaper option, if appropriate for the walls in question (i.e. you can't paint on exposed bricks).

Ta - but its coloured stone/flint dashing and bricks- cannot be painted over
    See post dated 13/4/2013 above for sample photo.

Again - tried all sorts chemicals and it very though to get it faded but never goes away fully.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Ta - but its coloured stone/flint dashing and bricks- cannot be painted over
    See post dated 13/4/2013 above for sample photo.
    The dashing looks like it can be painted over - I saw two guys paint a long bit of dashed wall in Carpenterstown. It was time consuming (and required a lot of paint) but there hasn't been any graffiti on it since then. IIRC One of the guys owns the adjacent Luttrel House Creche.

So, while it is coloured stone/flint dashing, maybe the graffiti is a good motivation to paint it white.

daymobrew wrote: »
    while it is coloured stone/flint dashing, maybe the graffiti is a good motivation to paint it white.

Thanks - but its the whole estate not just a wall - and only about 10 panels need cleaning right now - it would look awful painting only the affected ones a different colour.

We had a small few sandblasted before by a company - and it worked brilliantly - but it was very expensive to have it done - you pay per meter square - we need something ongoing to keep it under control.

Ive sourced a sandblaster for 350 euros - but im unsure if its powerful enough (2.5HP 50lt air tank) - if anyone knows someone that has used one Id be grateful to get some advice from them before we buy it...

“Roll it back”

• Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭J.P.M

not yet wrote: »
    That's because it is one..

This is the problem.It is people, unfortunately it is people like you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement