Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

choices plus short vs long

Options
  • 11-03-2013 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

so i have narrowed it down to three pistols:o

the hammerli xesse
    978147884da2e326dacd0c09c7d2a9dc.jpg

the browning buckmark urx contour
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxQjR2r44GbNGQupIArjqdNZyn_ehPHVsU8cPRf1wTfYTN5ltH

the s&w 22a

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8wO8jFMNFlYvvVHmeeS0cPRDgT4_AI9XKxcDqRlt7yFZrMPVJiQ

From what i read all are very well made and very accurate. i have gone throught two pistols already and i want my next one to be my last. i will be using it for gallery style shooting. im looking for peoples opinions on the above pistols??

Also on a side note all three are avilable in two barrel lenghts

Hammerli in a 5" and a 6"
    buckmark in a 5.5" and a 7.25":eek:
    S&w 22a in a 5" and a 7"

So my question is this does size really matter?:p:p
    i know most shooters will probably never out shoot the shorter barrel of any of the three above pistols. so is there any point in getting a longer barrel?
    will it give me an advantage??

all above can have a sight mounted as all have intergrated rails.

Im mainly looking for pros and cons of all pistols. as stated above this will be my last pistol purchase so im looking for somethin that will last a few years and will be very accurate.

As always all feed back and info will be well appreciated:D:D:D:D

TB26

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I've a 22a with a 7 inch barrel and they are a pretty accurate pistol for the money.

The 7 inch barrel makes it easier to aim more accurately. The extra few inches between the rear sight and the fore sight make it more forgiving when you are aiming. It gives a longer sight radius. Also, when it comes to pistols, the longer the barrel, generally the more accurate it is. The longer barrel stabilises the bullet a little bit more than the short barrel.

The 22a is cheaply made though. The material in the gun is soft. But if you mind it, then I see no reason why it wouldn't last you for years. The grip is a bit small though, so I added wooden grips to the grip and that makes it easier for me to hold. The rail on the 22a makes it very easy to put a red dot sight on too. The gun can be a bit front heavy too, but practice will get you used to dealing with that. Spare parts for it are cheap enough and easily available. And it's the easiest gun in the world to take the barrel out of and clean. Push one button and it's apart.

I don't know too much about the Hammerli other than that I've shot them a few times. Lighter than the 22a, better built and just as accurate.

Never shot a Buckmark so that's all I have to contribute.

Here's a question though on the Buckmark contour. What happens if the finger grooves on the grip don't match your fingers? What if your hands were too big or too small? Would it make it more difficult to hold or would it make fcukall difference? Maybe it's a dumb question, but would it make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I've a 22a with a 7 inch barrel and they are a pretty accurate pistol for the money.

The 7 inch barrel makes it easier to aim more accurately. The extra few inches between the rear sight and the fore sight make it more forgiving when you are aiming. It gives a longer sight radius. Also, when it comes to pistols, the longer the barrel, generally the more accurate it is. The longer barrel stabilises the bullet a little bit more than the short barrel.

The 22a is cheaply made though. The material in the gun is soft. But if you mind it, then I see no reason why it wouldn't last you for years. The grip is a bit small though, so I added wooden grips to the grip and that makes it easier for me to hold. The rail on the 22a makes it very easy to put a red dot sight on too. The gun can be a bit front heavy too, but practice will get you used to dealing with that. Spare parts for it are cheap enough and easily available. And it's the easiest gun in the world to take the barrel out of and clean. Push one button and it's apart.

I don't know too much about the Hammerli other than that I've shot them a few times. Lighter than the 22a, better built and just as accurate.

Never shot a Buckmark so that's all I have to contribute.

Exactly the feed back i was looking for:)
    the biggest problem with the 22a is availability as its from america:(
    Here's a question though on the Buckmark contour. What happens if the finger grooves on the grip don't match your fingers? What if your hands were too big or too small? Would it make it more difficult to hold or would it make fcukall difference? Maybe it's a dumb question, but would it make a difference?

that is something i hadnt even thought of:eek: it probably make a big difference but im sure there would be an aftermarket grip available somewhere. I recently shot a 22a with a 7" barrel fantastic gun but grip to small so if a i got a 22a an aftermarket grip would be a must.

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    Exactly the feed back i was looking for:)
    the biggest problem with the 22a is availability as its from america:(

that is something i hadnt even thought of:eek: it probably make a big difference but im sure there would be an aftermarket grip available somewhere. I recently shot a 22a with a 7" barrel fantastic gun but grip to small so if a i got a 22a an aftermarket grip would be a must.

When you are in HH next, look for somebody with wooden grips on their 22a and try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

When you are in HH next, look for somebody with wooden grips on their 22a and try it out.

are they not good?

• Advertisement

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    are they not good?

Yep, wooden grips improve it a fair bit. Well worth the investment.

Advertisement