Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Bungalow Attic Conversion in Galway

Options
  • 12-03-2013 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,
    I'm looking for some idea of what it should cost to convert the attic of a 130msq bungalow (I'm not sure of the size of the attic) in Galway. The house was built with the possibility of converting the attic. It already has 3 velux window (we'd probably need 3 more) and I believe some of the groundwork has already been done. We have an architects plan for 2 bedrooms, and an ensuite. Any ideas? On a budget, obviously!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Hi,
    I'm looking for some idea of what it should cost to convert the attic of a 130msq bungalow (I'm not sure of the size of the attic) in Galway. The house was built with the possibility of converting the attic. It already has 3 velux window (we'd probably need 3 more) and I believe some of the groundwork has already been done. We have an architects plan for 2 bedrooms, and an ensuite. Any ideas? On a budget, obviously!
    Thanks.
    Hi nmhmcdonnell
    You could be looking between €5 - €10 k
    Depending on how much work has allready been done and what finishes you want in the ensuite
    Cc

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nmhmcdonnell

Thanks for that. That seems very cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

I would think more like 10k to 12k again depends what needs to be done but that would include steel, stairs, studs, slabing, electrics plastring, painting, maybe some kind of flooring and skirting and lets not forget the bathroom and a cert at the end.

650gs wrote: »
    I would think more like 10k to 12k again depends what needs to be done but that would include steel, stairs, studs, slabing, electrics plastring, painting, maybe some kind of flooring and skirting and lets not forget the bathroom and a cert at the end.

Thats what I thought. I'm getting some quotes for around that at the moment. Thanks.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,647 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thats what I thought. I'm getting some quotes for around that at the moment. Thanks.

this is a 'how long is a piece of string' query in that its vey dependent on what work has already been carried out and what the plans and specifications call for. we dont know what structural work, if any, needs to be done to the roof.

you are doing the correct thing by getting quotes. try to get at least 3 perferrably 4 or 5.
    The more complete the plans and spcifications the closer the quotes should be to each other.
    Ensure that all building regulations, especially FIRE have been designed to their maximum.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    this is a 'how long is a piece of string' query in that its vey dependent on what work has already been carried out and what the plans and specifications call for. we dont know what structural work, if any, needs to be done to the roof.

you are doing the correct thing by getting quotes. try to get at least 3 perferrably 4 or 5.
    The more complete the plans and spcifications the closer the quotes should be to each other.
    Ensure that all building regulations, especially FIRE have been designed to their maximum.

Yes, I know its all very vague. I just wanted some idea. I have a long list of questions prepared. Thanks for the tips. The roof doesn't need any structural work.

Advertisement