Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ptsb & National Irish former buildings

Options
  • 12-03-2013 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

So, anyone got any bright ideas as to what could/should go into these buildings? They're probably 2 of the most prominent buildings in town. I think the former ptsb building has potential for a food business but it looks massive for someone to take the entire premises.

Not sure about the national Irish building, could do with brightening up a bit IMO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

So, anyone got any bright ideas as to what could/should go into these buildings? They're probably 2 of the most prominent buildings in town. I think the former ptsb building has potential for a food business but it looks massive for someone to take the entire premises.

Not sure about the national Irish building, could do with brightening up a bit IMO

Not another clothes shop anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

One of those cheap ink places like Cartridge Green would do well in town considering the high prices charged for ink elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

McLoughlin wrote: »
    One of those cheap ink places like Cartridge Green would do well in town considering the high prices charged for ink elsewhere.

I agree but I'd say you could probably fit that into one corner of the ground floor of those buildings. Would live to see something really big going in. I agree about the clothes shop, unless it was something like next maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I'd say a Mickey D's in the old PTSB building would make a fortune. Ideal location

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Jengagirl

oldyouth wrote: »
    I'd say a Mickey D's in the old PTSB building would make a fortune. Ideal location

I think we've enough fast food outlets somehow.

• Advertisement

A town centre gymnasium maybe?

Jengagirl wrote: »
    I think we've enough fast food outlets somehow.

The town doesn't get the shops it wants, it gets the shops that some business is prepared to put money in to get a return. A Mickey D's or Burger King would see off the independent fast food outlets. I'm only talking about this being a good location for it, rather that the aesthetics of the area

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Burger king & McDonald's were the only thing I could really come up with that could fill buildings that size and make money. Although I'm sure there'd be serious objections! Gym is a pretty good idea too

Record store would fill the building god knows wexford and the south east needs one but with the rents/rates issue its doubtful any business will go into those places

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Record store would fill the building god knows wexford and the south east needs one but with the rents/rates issue its doubtful any business will go into those places

You would be better off throwing your savings in to the Slaney, as open a record store. Although it would be a nice place for people to go and browse, nobody buys records these days

• Advertisement

A Vincent De Paul, Ofxam, Barnados type shop (albeit it mostly clothes they sell) might do really well in one of these if they got the building on a cheap lease.

Hugh demand for second hand in recessionary times and they sell seriously good stuff

"No body buys records"

Well considering the Irish music scene you have more bands and artists than ever before releasing more music on CD, Vinyl and even cassettes and there all selling extremely well I would disagree with that comment sure it sells online but people have a interest in buying it over the counter. The problem with Wexford was high rents & rates mixed with bad business management that previous music store closed up shop.

If it was possible I would love to see Trax on the main street of Wexford.

If HMV couldn't sell enough records on the busiest streets in Ireland, then I don't think the a shop in Wexford would survive. The people with the most interest in music (under 30's) download it for free rather than buy it.

The likes of Trax is totally different and could be a great success.

oldyouth wrote: »
    If HMV couldn't sell enough records on the busiest streets in Ireland, then I don't think the a shop in Wexford would survive. The people with the most interest in music (under 30's) download it for free rather than buy it.

The likes of Trax is totally different and could be a great success.

HMV didn't stock Independant music though there was a great story last year or so were a top rated album in Hot Press by an Irish band wasn't stocked by HMV. HMV made it hard for Independant acts to get into the store which makes no sense from a business standpoint . HMV moved more into games, DVD box sets and CDs for casual music fans and surely if a place like Whites can exist then there is room for a store that caters for the genuine music fan.

Go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

I very much doubt anything of interest will go in there. Another pound shop more than likely.

Zhane wrote: »
    I very much doubt anything of interest will go in there. Another pound shop more than likely.

Speaking of which - how about a Dealz ??

You never know, we might all need one of these once the property tax kicks our ass :mad: -

http://www.dealz.ie/product-range/a-z/outdoor-solutions-emergency-shelter/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

vicwatson wrote: »
    Speaking of which - how about a Dealz ??

You never know, we might all need one of these once the property tax kicks our ass :mad: -

http://www.dealz.ie/product-range/a-z/outdoor-solutions-emergency-shelter/

Dealz is going into town somewhere, not sure where yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

you need to get a river island, H&M, New Yorker, champion sports, footlocker or the ilk into one of those big buildings... only thing that will work, draw people and sell reasonable quality, trendy, current gear for average-middle prices.

Music shop is a pipedream unless a multi millionaire with a real passion for underground, independant, rare and cutting edge music decides to open, knowing its going to be a loss making exercise and is funding it as his play thing.

A music shop like that would be under serious pressure in dublin, nevermind surviving in a town full of farmin folk who think ritchie kavanagh is a lyrical genius. Heart ruling the head there im afraid but I would love to see one myself.

Advertisement