Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Selection

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

nesf wrote: »
    If you have a specific complaint bring it to the relevant CMods (in private) by PM. If they are unsuitable or in your opinion not in a place to be neutral, talk to an Admin about it. Again any discussion would be private and not shared with the mod(s) in question.
    Is there any way, other than being in the inner circle or having remarkable powers of observation, of knowing which admin(s) deal with a particular forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Admins do not take care of particular forums - they administer the site as a whole.

However, what I think you are asking about is generally the role of the CMods of each category. These are clearly shown on the first page of each forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Admins do not take care of particular forums - they administer the site as a whole.
    Admins seem to have particular responsibilities. Look at the profile of any admin, and you see a listing of the things they are supposedly appointed to administer. I do recognise that their authority is more general, but it seems obvious to me that if a person is an admin for "xxx" it is probably more useful to contact that admin in relation to a concern about "xxx" than it is to contact a randonly-chosen admin.
    However, what I think you are asking about is generally the role of the CMods of each category. These are clearly shown on the first page of each forum.
    I have been here long enough to know the difference.

When I am not happy with the performance of a cmod (and believe it or not, such a thing is possible) it would be helpful to me to know the best line to follow in the hierarchical structure - to contact an admin who deals with that area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Admins don't officially deal with individual forums or categories. Many admins still remain active in forums they modded previously, and these forums may remain in their profile. And some have Sys forums opposite them too. I'm fresh from being a CMod of the Soc category, so would be familiar with a lot of the Soc forums.

However, the preferred method of escalation is via the CMods. If you don't trust one of them, there's normally more than one. And if you don't trust any of them, PM the first Admin you see. Ideally one that you might have seen in that forum, but again, it doesn't really matter.

Lastly, regarding rogue moderators, Admins can and do remove people from moderator duty when it is felt they're not for the job (whether they're part of a clique or not). It's just not announced site-wide when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

K-9 wrote: »
    I accept all that.

A good poster leaving is always a worry. Personally I'd prefer posters talk things out, rather than leave, or close accounts.

There is, but maybe it should be more transparent. It's a tough one, a higher standard is expected of mods, but I'm a huge believer in privacy myself, and I don't think mods are an exception to my beliefs on that.

Completely accepted, it is better to keep things general.

Hey K9 sorry for the late reply. I'm trying to sort this out now before closing the account. I personally think mod selection should be more transparent because some of the reasons some are picked are bewildering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

nesf wrote: »
    If you have a specific complaint bring it to the relevant CMods (in private) by PM. If they are unsuitable or in your opinion not in a place to be neutral, talk to an Admin about it. Again any discussion would be private and not shared with the mod(s) in question.

Thanks Nesf I'm trying that at the moment. The privacy issue is especially reassuring.

Advertisement