Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas - Where to Stay

Options
  • 12-03-2013 3:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of going to Las Vegas in Sep/Oct of this year.

Can anyone tell me what hotels are worth staying or what hotels to avoid?

I would prefer to have some more money in my pocket but I would be willing to pay a bit more to stay some where in a good location.

Also any tips from previous visits to Las Vegas would be useful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gambithh

was there in september,a wonderful place.
    stayed in the Excalibur its ok,but the luxor next door (the pyramid!) is amazing and pretty cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Only went to Excalibur for a visit, got pissed in Dicks bar where they make the funniest hats and then stumbled down to the Jousting downstairs to see Ireland get pummelled by Germany.
    Had good fun there but I think it's at the very end of the strip. The Luxor is even further up you really wouldn't want to be staying any further up the strip if your not a fan of walking.

Vegas is split in 2, Downtown (old Vegas) and the Strip.

Personally I prefer downtown it's a lot more like the Vegas you expect but it is small just the one street that doesn't really come alive until the sun goes down. The Golden Nugget is one of the nicest hotels we Visited its got a vintage slot area so you can spent quarters in a bucket if you like, there's sharks swimming through the hotel and its home to the best restraunt in Vegas Vic & Anthony's.

It's a good walk between the strip and downtown, worth doing once to just see all the wedding chapels and visit some pawn stores if your a fan of discovery channel but its worth getting the bus once you've done the walk once.

If I was staying again I'd probably opt for the golden nugget but if you want somewhere on the strip any of the big names wouldn't be bad if you can get them cheap, Bilagio, Cesars Palace or New York, New York with its Irish bar and roller coaster running through the hotel.

If your not a gambling nut I'd do vegas for 3/4 days as part of a larger holiday to the carribean or somewhere else in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Only went to Excalibur for a visit, got pissed in Dicks bar where they make the funniest hats and then stumbled down to the Jousting downstairs to see Ireland get pummelled by Germany.
    Had good fun there but I think it's at the very end of the strip. The Luxor is even further up you really wouldn't want to be staying any further up the strip if your not a fan of walking.

Vegas is split in 2, Downtown (old Vegas) and the Strip.

Personally I prefer downtown it's a lot more like the Vegas you expect but it is small just the one street that doesn't really come alive until the sun goes down. The Golden Nugget is one of the nicest hotels we Visited its got a vintage slot area so you can spent quarters in a bucket if you like, there's sharks swimming through the hotel and its home to the best restraunt in Vegas Vic & Anthony's.

It's a good walk between the strip and downtown, worth doing once to just see all the wedding chapels and visit some pawn stores if your a fan of discovery channel but its worth getting the bus once you've done the walk once.

If I was staying again I'd probably opt for the golden nugget but if you want somewhere on the strip any of the big names wouldn't be bad if you can get them cheap, Bilagio, Cesars Palace or New York, New York with its Irish bar and roller coaster running through the hotel.

If your not a gambling nut I'd do vegas for 3/4 days as part of a larger holiday to the carribean or somewhere else in the states.

I agree, 3-4 days is ample time to set aside for Vegas. We had a suite in the Venetian, great location as in the thick of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

My favourite - having stayed at Mirage, Luxor and Paris, is Paris. $20 trick works a charm, easy upgrades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

On my way now staying at both Excalibur and New York New York.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Cosmopolitan is the only place to stay if you are young and want to party.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Hazys wrote: »
    Cosmopolitan is the only place to stay if you are young and want to party.

Why? You're not limited to partying in the resort that you're staying in. Cosmo is an amazing property but it's crazily expensive. Personally i'd rather sleep somewhere else and have the extra cash in my pocket.

I'm off to Vegas again in six weeks time. Staying at Harrahs, Luxor (comped) and THEhotel at Mandalay Bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Why? You're not limited to partying in the resort that you're staying in. Cosmo is an amazing property but it's crazily expensive. Personally i'd rather sleep somewhere else and have the extra cash in my pocket.

I'm off to Vegas again in six weeks time. Staying at Harrahs, Luxor (comped) and THEhotel at Mandalay Bay.

Since hotels are so cheap in Vegas I don't mind splurging on the better hotels, any other city 3* is more than enough.

To me, the Cosmo is on another level. The energy and vibe in the place is incredible, you can go mad there all the time. We went there for 5 nights last year and we only left the hotel 3 times lol and it was a fantastic time...so good were going back there for Memorial Day weekend...can't wait 10 week countdown.

Vegas is a laugh regardless of where you stay.

Beefy, can i ask why you are staying in multiple hotels?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Cosmo is great and I can't wait to hit the Chandelier Bar for some video poker and chocolate martinis! For me though I like to be constantly on the move in Vegas from one hotel to another.

As for why I'm staying in three hotel.... it has just worked out that way. I got a flight+hotel deal for THEhotel but I'm consious that it is at one end of the strip. Some of my friends on this trip are staying at Wynn and others are staying right at the other end of the Strip at Luxor and Mandalay Bay. As I said, I'd rather have the extra cash in my pocket that spend big on a room so when I decided to spend a couple of days as close to Wynn as I could get at a reasonably price I discounted Wynn/Encore and Venetian/Palazzo, Mirage was next but I've stayed there before so I decided to slum it at Harrahs for $30 a night. Then a month or two ago I got an offer for two nights comped at Luxor. I doubt I'll ever get offered a free room somewhere ever again so I decided to take that and take my Mandalay Bay reservation down to three nights.

It's going to be a lot of mucking around whilst I'm out there but I'm getting a week's accomodation, including three nights in a suite, for about €300 which frees up more cash for all the things that cost cash in Vegas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I stayed in the Planet Hollywood, upgraded to a suite and ended up with a king size fold up bed, only discovered this when i sat at one end and the lady got kicked off the other end....

No desire to stay there again :(

smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mc8755

My vote's for Mirage; I stayed in the Tower Suite in 2010 and it was magnificent. Got comped tickets for the Terry Fator show too, definitely recommend the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

My wife and I go to Vegas every year, fcuking love that place. Its the most fun place I have ever been. We never get bored of it.

We have stayed in the upscale places (Belagio, Venetian, Wynn, Encore) and the less upscale (Hard rock, Luxor, Excalibur, Rio). Have to say while the luxury in the first bunch of hotels was great, you are paying with the lack of craic. Best craic we have had was staying in Harrahs and the Rio. They are where we stay these days, because they are cheaper you can always go for the Suite option.

As for gambling, Freemont street is the place to go, plenty of low table minimums available all over the place. The nicer hotels have pretty saucy minimums at night time, you would not be long getting through the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

all hotels on the strip have resorts fees (these are fees added after the room charge and are per night), caesars group recently bowed to pressure http://www.vegas.com/incl/resortfees.html

if you don't want to be caught by the resort fees the las vegas hotel LVH (formerly the hilton) is just off strip and around same quality as the midrange strip hotels (ti, monte carlo, planet hollywood), golden nugget is same level as well but downtown about 3 miles from the strip

Advertisement