Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swapping and Cloning Hard Drives

Options
  • 12-03-2013 6:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

ok i hope this doesnt get too confusing!!! i wanna upgrade my PCs current 120GB sata ii SSD to a larger sata iii SSD, my motherboard supports it and i overlooked it while putting my system together last year. so thats my first question. how can i copy my OS and programs from one SSD to the other??? maybe its just my laziness but i really dnt wanna have to re-install everything!!! haha

second question. i then wanna then reuse the sata ii SSD in an old laptop. can i just plug it in and will the OS boot and all the programs run??? if not is there a way to do it or will i have to format and re-install everything???

hope that all makes sense!!! any help will be greatly appreciated, oh and any software that might be needed would preferably be free or very inexpensive!!! haha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

For drive-to-drive clone, you can use Runtime's Shadow Copy which is free.

http://www.runtime.org/shadow-copy.htm

For the original hard drive to boot up the old laptop, the OS, laptop make (and possibly the model or series type) will need to be the same as the donor laptop. The activation key of the software may or will need to be changed to that printed on the windows sticker of the receiving machine.
    Use jellybean key finder to check and change the key.

http://download.cnet.com/Magical-Jelly-Bean-Keyfinder/3000-18487_4-10079600.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

As mentioned, clone the old SSD to the new SSD and you'll be set with the current computer. Moving the old drive into a different computer while still being able to boot into the OS is a little bit trickier, essentially you need to sysprep the OS with the generalize command. That should allow you to boot though possibly might require further tinkering.

Advertisement