Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3-4-5 year crop rotation

• 12-03-2013 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi all

i have just built a new polytunnel and looking at crop rotation. It has two long side beds and a medium center bed. My options for the beds are
    3 bed= 2 long beds and a center bed
    5 bed= 2 long beds split into two and a center bed
    4 bed= 2 long beds split into two and a center bed used for annuals and herbs

any advice on how to use the space to its best and what suggested rotations

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

organic growing suggest 4 year rotations, which is what I use (outside). More is better if you can manage it like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I can offer a few tips on crop rotation.

Legumes [peas and beans] can fix nitrogen from the air into the soil so it would be a good move to grow a nitrogen hungry crop the year after your peas and beans. So maybe brassicas [cabbages/broccoli/brussels sprouts] after your peas and beans.

Root crops like carrots will thrive better if the soil is not heavily manured [it can stunt their growth and cause more foliage than root] so don't plant these in enriched soil. They might do well grown the year after the brassicas.

Look into companion planting too. Apparently planting carrots and onions together can prevent carrot fly and onion fly attacks. I've read that growing basil with tomatoes can improve the taste of the tomatoes. Makes sense. I'm going to try that this year.

I use Joy Larkcom's book Grow Your Own Vegetables alot. Its packed with practical info and is well regarded. She suggests this three year cycle for the main crops:

Plot 1
    Year 1 - Legumes
    Year 2 - Brassicas
    Year 3 - Potatoes

Plot 2
    Year 1 - Brassicas
    Year 2 - Potatoes
    Year 3 - Legumes

Plot 3
    Year 1 - Potatoes
    Year 2 - Legumes
    Year 3 - Brassicas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭Macy0161

tippgod wrote: »
    Hi all

i have just built a new polytunnel and looking at crop rotation. It has two long side beds and a medium center bed. My options for the beds are
    3 bed= 2 long beds and a center bed
    5 bed= 2 long beds split into two and a center bed
    4 bed= 2 long beds split into two and a center bed used for annuals and herbs

any advice on how to use the space to its best and what suggested rotations

thanks
    I'd really go with whatever fits with what you want to grow really, and maximise the space. You can dig out/ replace the soil after three years if you don't feel you are getting the rotation. I have 4 equal beds (and rotate Toms, Peppers, Legumes, Brassica), but I'm in a harsh enough location, so I try to grow a bit more ordinarily hardy crops undercover than I would if I was somewhere less exposed.

Advertisement