Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't resell unopened/unused software as I'm not a recognised reseller?

Options
  • 12-03-2013 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi all,

I bought some music software from a company in Europe before Christmas and haven't used it. This software once used, cannot be used by anyone else again as you have to register it using a USB key which its tied to - so its usually unable to be re-sold.

However, I haven't used it/opened it/registered it and emailed the company and asked if I can just sell it to someone else in its current state. They said as I'm not a recognised reseller, I'm not allowed to do that.

Are they allowed to stop me from selling it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hi all,

I bought some music software from a company in Europe before Christmas and haven't used it. This software once used, cannot be used by anyone else again as you have to register it using a USB key which its tied to - so its usually unable to be re-sold.

However, I haven't used it/opened it/registered it and emailed the company and asked if I can just sell it to someone else in its current state. They said as I'm not a recognised reseller, I'm not allowed to do that.

Are they allowed to stop me from selling it?
    Of course they can stop you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd imagine if they don't allow reselling if you resell it then can simply blacklist the registration so it'll be useless to whoever you sold it to

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

You don't own the software, you merely purchased a license.
    If that license doesn't allow reselling then you can't sell it on.

Quite common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

I know that in microsoft software it says that if you do not agree with the license agreement you can bring the software back for a refund or credit. Maybe check if that is part of the license agreement for the software product you bought. I would imagine the likes of blocking you reselling the product would be part of the license agreement that you may be able to decline thus may be entitled to a refund. It could be the case that you already agreed to the license when you purchased the product if it was displayed or made available to you. I have never tried to bring back software under this though so I don't know how successful you will be but it may be an option.

Very common, especially for music software.

Here's a huge thread on music software retailers with non-transferable licenses:
    http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=91587

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Hard to say if you can or not.

If you are in the USA, you have the right to resell a copy of a copyrighted work that you own. I couldn't see about here.

Realistically, if you were to put it on eBay, how could they stop you selling it? Unless you have signed some sort of agreement with them they can't stop you. If you haven't opened the box, or run the software, there is no way they can argue you have accepted a pop-up license agreement.

However, if they are keeping track of whoever bought it from them, and prevent anyone else using the software, there's not much you can do.

They will only provide support and sell upgrades to the licensee. Upgrades are usually heavily discounted compared to the full RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If you haven't opened it or registered then how would the company know who had bought it were you to sell it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

This might be relevant to the OP?

Advertisement