Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby rice... How much?

Options
  • 12-03-2013 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a very quick question for you mums and dads out there. We have started our little one (4 months old) on baby rice last week. He's about 18 lbs. I have only been giving him about a teaspoon nice a day. He loves it and wants more. However, I am unsure about how much I should be giving at this stage. He seems to be digesting it fine.

How much solids did you start your LOs on? Do you think it would be ok to give maybe 2 teaspoons of the rice at this stage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just a very quick question for you mums and dads out there. We have started our little one (4 months old) on baby rice last week. He's about 18 lbs. I have only been giving him about a teaspoon nice a day. He loves it and wants more. However, I am unsure about how much I should be giving at this stage. He seems to be digesting it fine.

How much solids did you start your LOs on? Do you think it would be ok to give maybe 2 teaspoons of the rice at this stage?

If he's been having it for a week and having no problems you can start increasing it. My little man started on a few teaspoons and progressed from there. He won't eat more than he wants anyway :) he will let you know when he has enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Gee_G wrote: »
    If he's been having it for a week and having no problems you can start increasing it. My little man started on a few teaspoons and progressed from there. He won't eat more than he wants anyway :) he will let you know when he has enough :)

Great! Thanks so much. I was worried if I gave him more he might get sick. But he get so excited when he knows he's getting it and quite distressed after we take the pot away after only one teaspoon. He'll be happy tonight now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I didn't stick with just baby rice for more than a day of 2, I mixed in some puréed carrot and gave that for couple days, then tried puréed steamed pear, then mixed them together and then tried something new every couple days without the baby rice. I think it's a nice way of telling their ready for solids but prob can do without it after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Great! Thanks so much. I was worried if I gave him more he might get sick. But he get so excited when he knows he's getting it and quite distressed after we take the pot away after only one teaspoon. He'll be happy tonight now :-)
    No, you will know yourself if he has enough. My little man used to be in an awful state, we used to have to give him his dodey in between mouthfuls because he'd Be roaring looking for more :)

dublinlady wrote: »
    I didn't stick with just baby rice for more than a day of 2, I mixed in some puréed carrot and gave that for couple days, then tried puréed steamed pear, then mixed them together and then tried something new every couple days without the baby rice. I think it's a nice way of telling their ready for solids but prob can do without it after that?

Yea going to start him on some purée veg and fruit in the next few days. I hear that way they don't become fussy eaters. I was just unsure of the amounts I should be giving him. He's quite a big baby and I feel a teaspoon isn't really enough for him even if he is only 16 weeks. He's nearly 8 kg!

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We didn't give ours any baby rice. I tried a bit myself and thought it was like wallpaper paste! Couldn't get my head around giving her something I wouldn't eat myself. So we started with pears and apples. Then potato. When we started proteins we went with fish first, easier to digest. She's two now, not a fussy eater at the moment, but I'm sure that phase will come eventually. There is a big weaning thread here, loads of ideas in that.

pwurple wrote: »
    We didn't give ours any baby rice. I tried a bit myself and thought it was like wallpaper paste! Couldn't get my head around giving her something I wouldn't eat myself. So we started with pears and apples. Then potato. When we started proteins we went with fish first, easier to digest. She's two now, not a fussy eater at the moment, but I'm sure that phase will come eventually. There is a big weaning thread here, loads of ideas in that.

Thanks purple. Tried purée veg last night. He couldn't get enough of it. Will have a look at the weaning thread. Can I ask how many teaspoons of the vege did you start your little one on? Gave ours about 3 teaspoons last night.... He wouldve taken a lot more of I'd let him! I'm worried it may give him a tummy ache or windy pain if I give him too much veg too soon?

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

All their appetites are different, so it's how long is a piece of string! When she was on a growth spurt, she would take 6, 7 teaspoons at a time, or more. When not, 1 spoon or sometimes none at all. I would just keep giving her more until she stopped eating it. At the very start though it was 2-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

OK..this is prob a really dumb question, but when you say 2-3 teaspoons, do you mean you are putting the spoon in babies mouth 3 times or that you measured out 3 regular size tea spoons of the food and feed him that then with his own little spoon?

OK..this is prob a really dumb question, but when you say 2-3 teaspoons, do you mean you are putting the spoon in babies mouth 3 times or that you measured out 3 regular size tea spoons of the food and feed him that then with his own little spoon?

Hi there, I'd measure 3 regular teaspoons into his bowel/container. And then feed him a little bit at a time with his little plastic spoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

Hi there, I'd measure 3 regular teaspoons into his bowel/container. And then feed him a little bit at a time with his little plastic spoon.
    thanks a mill!

Advertisement