Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rickshaws to be banned

Options
  • 12-03-2013 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

http://www.galwaynews.ie/30683-rickshaws-be-banned-streets-galway

Granted I've never taken one, and I know they can be a bit annoying, but I think banning them altogether is a bit of a shame. They'll be around for a bit until the existing licences expire in the summer according to the article.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

ya defiantly a shame , I think they are part of the culture of the unique Galway night life at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Casshern88 wrote: »
    ya defiantly a shame , I think they are part of the culture of the unique Galway night life at this stage.

Interesting definition of culture - something around for a short few years.

Nothing unique about having them in Galway either.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

maybe if they took it easy going down shop street rather then going as fast as they can, maybe then there wouldnt be a problem. there not banner for no reason

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've taken them once or twice when drunk but if they were banned I wouldn't particularly miss them either.
    The article doesn't state why they are banning them, only that it was a “failed experiment”.

biko wrote: »
    I've taken them once or twice when drunk but if they were banned I wouldn't particularly miss them either.
    The article doesn't state why they are banning them, only that it was a “failed experiment”.

In fairness the article doesn't have to say why they were banned, certain members of the council have long regarded them as a nuisance and they made their feelings known on the matter loudly and frequently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

"Cllr Billy Cameron, who seconded the motion, said Galway’s medieval streets were too narrow for rickshaws to operate safely."

If that's the case, what about larger -- and faster -- vehicles routinely operating on various mediaeval streets day and night? Said streets also have a default 50 km/h speed limit, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Seems a pretty dumbass move by the council. The rickshaws provide jobs, produce less emissions than a taxi and cost the council nothing.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    If that's the case, what about larger -- and faster -- vehicles routinely operating on various mediaeval streets day and night? Said streets also have a default 50 km/h speed limit, by the way.

There is a general 50km/h limit within the city boundary - the N6 Dual carraigeway up to Mervue being one of the exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

hardCopy wrote: »
    Seems a pretty dumbass move by the council. The rickshaws provide jobs

A bit naive; this is a cash-in-hand job therefore probably contributing nothing to reducing the numbers on live register

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭squonk

They've got them in Dublin, probably Limerick and no doubt elsewhere as well. I never rode in one. Couldn't see the point really. it's not like Shop St. is the Champs Elysee really. You'd be up to the squar from the Arch in a few minutes. Galway is probably a little more unique in that lots of punter congregate along one particular area so it can be busier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

JohnCleary wrote: »
    A bit naive; this is a cash-in-hand job therefore probably contributing nothing to reducing the numbers on live register

They're licensed operators according to the article. Presumably Tax Clearance Certs etc would be required to get a licence. They may even be paying fees to the council for said licences.

antoobrien wrote: »
    There is a general 50km/h limit within the city boundary - the N6 Dual carraigeway up to Mervue being one of the exceptions.

Galway City's "mediaeval streets" -- which are said to be "too narrow" for pedal-powered rickshaws -- have a 50 km/h speed limit and are used night and day by vehicles that are much larger and faster than rickshaws.

I sense a lack of logical consistency in City Hall.

Galway City's "mediaeval streets" -- which are said to be "too narrow" for pedal-powered rickshaws -- have a 50 km/h speed limit and are used night and day by vehicles that are much larger and faster than rickshaws.

Vehicles that have little things like power assisted steering and breaking:rolleyes:

It's not unusual to see the ricks swerving the whole way across shop st., so it is not exactly an invalid argument.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Vehicles that have little things like power assisted steering and breaking:rolleyes:

Vehicles that have big things like engines, and which can reach speeds well in excess of the default 50 km/h speed limit applied to our "mediaeval streets".

If "mediaeval streets" are "too narrow" for rickshaws how can they be wide enough for cars, vans and trucks?

I'm not making a case for rickshaws, by the way. Just wondering how narrow mediaeval streets can be so mysteriously unsuitable for one transport mode but not another, and how they can be deemed appropriate for a speed limit of 50 km/h.

Vehicles that have big things like engines, and which can reach speeds well in excess of the default 50 km/h speed limit applied to our "mediaeval streets".

If "mediaeval streets" are "too narrow" for rickshaws how can they be wide enough for cars, vans and trucks?

I'm not making a case for rickshaws, by the way. Just wondering how narrow mediaeval streets can be so mysteriously unsuitable for one transport mode but not another, and how they can be deemed appropriate for a speed limit of 50 km/h.

The simple fact of the matter is that the ricks are harder for the driver to control than the vast majority of engine powered vehicles - as evidenced by the way they swing all over the place when the drivers are attempting to go up shop st. So they need more room, making the streets too narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

The issue here is not just "medievil streets" but pedestrianised "medievil streets" as some here are conveniently ignoring :rolleyes:

Motorised vehicles don't need to swerve, maneuver quickly and brake suddently up shop street. Those rickshaws can be a menace at times when the street is busy. If they were only used on public roads i would understand an outcry at their banning but the fact that they are used on pedestrian walkways is enough to endanger pedestrians. They may also be licensed, but only the most naive of individuals would really believe that the un receipted cash income from these rickshaws is fully registered with Revenue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Ridiculous to ban them. They're not exactly "taking over", probably because those already there struggle for business as it is. Nobody is forcing you to use them and plenty of people seem to have a bit of a laugh with them.

In all my nights out in Galway I have never seen anyone get hit by them.

More working class people having a living robbed off them by people who are robbing a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

*waits for everyone to argue against the banning even though they never been in one*

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    *waits for everyone to argue against the banning even though they never been in one*
    I can't remember ever being black, does this mean I can't argue for their rights? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

If they banned high-heels instead, there would be no need for Rickshaws. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Are they really a nuisance?

People seem to enjoy using them and I also have never seen or heard of a collision, not that means they don't happen of course. I wonder what the reasoning of the ban here is?

Beats me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've seen, and been in, a number of near misses: the drivers are maniacs with limited visibility at times.

I suspect the council doesn't believe they carry public liability insurance - meaning that people could sue the council if they got hurt by one.

They tried a licensing scheme, but it's extremely difficult to enforce, especially since lots of the drivers don't speak much English.

There are no real jobs being lost here (except perhaps among taxi drivers who get less passengers because of the rickshaws) - it's tips only, unreceipted cash business.

And yes, I've been in one, admitted for a ride that only takes 5 mintues to walk!

I've seen, and been in, a number of near misses: the drivers are maniacs with limited visibility at times.

I suspect the council doesn't believe they carry public liability insurance - meaning that people could sue the council if they got hurt by one.

They tried a licensing scheme, but it's extremely difficult to enforce, especially since lots of the drivers don't speak much English.

There are no real jobs being lost here (except perhaps among taxi drivers who get less passengers because of the rickshaws) - it's tips only, unreceipted cash business.

And yes, I've been in one, admitted for a ride that only takes 5 mintues to walk!
    I doubt anyone on here is surprised to hear you come out with this drivel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

hardCopy wrote: »
    They're licensed operators according to the article. Presumably Tax Clearance Certs etc would be required to get a licence. They may even be paying fees to the council for said licences.

I think only some of them are licenced. They are all supposed to be licenced but I dont think that worked satisfactorially. The operators that paid for licences might be entitled to feel hard done by.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fixer Upper

I've never used one either but I can see why people would on a night out. Drunkenness, high heels, torrential rain, cold weather and stylish rather than warm clothes can all play a part.....

I think the arguments about medieval streets and other traffic are irrelevant as the main route they use is Shop street which is both wide enough and pedestrianised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

So a few harmless rickshaws that cost sod all are being banned because 14 councillors decided they were a "failed experiment".

Speaking of "failed experiments", can we have our old Eyre Square back please councillors?

You know, the one you spent millions of our money on by ripping up the park and destroying it with Chinese granite furnishings that continues to cost a fortune to clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

5 of us piled into one outside the kings head one rainy night after a few scoops, the poor sod cycled us all the way back as far as UCHG when we said we better get off before he has a heart attack :D we all gave him a heafty tip and he was delighted. I dont see the problem with them. limit them from certain streets if need be but god knows Galway needs more transport options not less. Any chance those councillers would do something usefull for a change like push for a night link bus service? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,464 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Wouldn't mind them if they were made use the roads like other vehicular traffic. Some of them drive like maniacs through the 'pedestrianised' areas at night and a lot of them don't have lights or display the licence, both of which were required as part of the 'experiment'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,464 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

It's going to be discussed on Radio 1 Morning Ireland shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The operators that paid for licences might be entitled to feel hard done by.

They are allowed to continue until (I presume annual) license expires - don't see how they'd have the right to feel 'hard done by'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement