Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rickshaws to be banned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

The proposal to ban the rickshaws was brought forward by Michael Crowe. That is all i need to know to know they are being banned for reasons other than what the official line is. Probably being banned because they don't directly benefit him or someone who knows him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

McTigs wrote: »
    The proposal to ban the rickshaws was brought forward by Michael Crowe. That is all i need to know to know they are being banned for reasons other than what the official line is. Probably being banned because they don't directly benefit him or someone who knows him.

I wonder if that's the case for all of them, including those who supported it when introduced? I'm only asking because it was a unanimous vote.
    Cllr Niall McNelis said that he had initially been in favour of the introduction of rickshaws, but that operators with licenses are being damaged by those who do not.

Does the fact that Crowe is the chair of the transport committee have nothing to do with it either?

The biggest problem seems to be that they aren't following the byelaws and the fact that they are using the pedestrianised streets in the center of town.
    Director of Services Ciaran Hayes said that rickshaw operators had failed to demonstrate they can operate within the terms of the byelaws under which they were licensed, and also acknowledged that the existing byelaws permitting their use on pedestrianised streets is in conflict with the general prohibition of cyclists on the streets.

There's also a bit missing from the online version of the Senitinel article, referring to the ricks mounting footpaths and forcing pedestrians out of their way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Obligatory reference required
    108197pre_8fb06161ab4d773.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Director of Services Ciaran Hayes said that rickshaw operators had failed to demonstrate they can operate within the terms of the byelaws under which they were licensed, and also acknowledged that the existing byelaws permitting their use on pedestrianised streets is in conflict with the general prohibition of cyclists on the streets.

antoobrien wrote: »
    ricks mounting footpaths and forcing pedestrians out of their way.

Funnily enough, one of the most common causes of pedestrians being forced out of the way is the obstruction of footpaths by motor vehicles.

Funnier enough, the same City Council routinely ignores such violation of bye-laws, and even portrays it as "common sense" when they feel the need.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Funnily enough, one of the most common causes of pedestrians being forced out of the way is the obstruction of footpaths by motor vehicles.

Funnier enough, the same City Council routinely ignores such violation of bye-laws, and even portrays it as "common sense" when they feel the need.

On shop St?

• Advertisement

Pedestrians are pedestrians, and bye-laws are bye-laws, everywhere.

Pedestrians are pedestrians, and bye-laws are bye-laws, everywhere.

The only motor vehicles on Shop St since pedestrianisation in (I think) 1999, delivery vehicles excepted - have been garda & council vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

This was just on the radio now. It seems a bit crazy, tbh. Just going to force people out of jobs...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Shop St isn't that narrow. If you have trouble avoiding a large rickshaw then maybe going outside without a carer and a helmet isn't for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Shop St isn't that narrow. If you have trouble avoiding a large rickshaw then maybe going outside without a carer and a helmet isn't for you.

I think the issue for those against is that you shouldn't *have* to jump quickly out of the way of something on a pedestrian street! Most of the rickshaw drivers are ok but there are some for whom 'near misses' are part if the 'experience' and know they might get a bigger tip for a 'thrilling' journey.
    They are in control of the bikes a lot but when they are hurtling toward you it's difficult for older or non-Galway people to*trust* the fact they'll go around you.

Pity they're being banned, but it's probably because of those who are a nuisance.

• Advertisement

I'm extremely indifferent on the subject of rickshaws, but I find it difficult to see consistency in the enforcement of laws relating to the protection of pedestrians and general order on the streets.

The Council (and AGS) seem very quick to enforce some laws but not others.

Take the comments attributed to Cllr Padraig Conneely, who is not someone I would normally be in agreement with:
    Cllr Padraig Conneely said the problems with the rickshaws are not all the fault of the drivers and that such vehicles work well in other cities but that the behaviour and attitudes of customers in Galway who are “out of their minds with alcohol” means that they cannot work here.
    Compare that with what Cllr Billy Cameron is reported to have said:
    The introduction of rickshaws to Galway City’s medieval streets has proven to be a “failed experiment” that is detracting rather than adding to Galway’s reputation as a “party city”.

That’s according to Cllr Billy Cameron, who made the comment at Monday’s council meeting, when councillors unanimously voted to amend existing byelaws and ban the pedal-powered vehicles from the city centre.
    Rickshaws might work well in a city where traffic law and public order are highly valued, and where the streets are not filled with drunks on a regular basis. Of course clamping down on the booze culture, including illegal drinking in public, would be unpopular as well as possibly damaging to the "party city" sales pitch, and might lead to law enforcers having to work a little harder.

I have found the Council and AGS remarkably slow to protect vulnerable road users on other streets, including mediaeval ones. For example, what has happened with that supposed "zero tolerance" parking enforcement policy approved by the Councillors back in January?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I could see an argument for banning them on shop street during the day when the street is packed with people aimlessly walking around without any awareness of what's going on around them.

At night I don't really see too much of a problem, most of the crowd has gone making it easier to go up and down the street.

Don't see the point in banning them on public roads within the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm extremely indifferent on the subject of rickshaws
    This thread is about the rickshaws and the ban on them _only_, let's focus on that topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

ScumLord wrote: »

At night the biggest problem I've seen with them on public roads in a lack of lighting, especially in places like Wolfe Tone Bridge, O'Briens Bridge, Spanish Arcade, Ravens Terrace, Market Street, Middle Street and Flood Street; basically the city centre. They are all dark areas where these things can't be seen.

However, the same goes for a large number of cyclists around the city who have no regard for their own safety, including one of our city councillors (who has had this pointed out to her after she ran a red light at the fire station and nearly got squashed like a bug). With the rickshaws it isn't just their own safety but the safety of their passengers, too.

Unfortunately neither the council or the Gardai will do anything about enforcement for either group.

The councillor in question had it suggested to her that she might use her position to start a "Cycle Safely" campaign during the dark winter months seeing as she likes to be seen as green and on her bike but refused to do so, and still carries on with the same level of ignorance toward other road users.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I could see an argument for banning them on shop street during the day when the street is packed with people aimlessly walking around without any awareness of what's going on around them.

At night I don't really see too much of a problem, most of the crowd has gone making it easier to go up and down the street.

I think you'll find the aimless wandering is at night, whereas during the day it's more relaxed strolling, window shopping, chatting, soaking up the ambience etc. :)

Are there rickshaws about during the day? I can't recall having seen them often, and I'm almost never around the city centre at night.

I think you'll find the aimless wandering is at night, whereas during the day it's more relaxed strolling, window shopping, chatting, soaking up the ambience etc. :)
    That is aimless wandering. Certainly a lot more aimless than walking to a club/pub or walking home/taxi rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't know, I've found that relaxed people walking down shop street have no awareness of what's going on around them. Many could be tourists marvelling at our medieval streets. At night the rickshaws have more space to avoid pedestrians.
    Are there rickshaws about during the day? I can't recall having seen them often, and I'm almost never around the city centre at night.
    I'm not to sure about the day time but I've definitely seen them at night. I assumed that's when they do most of their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Aimless wandering by day, and drunk stumbling by night so? ;)
    Either way its only going to get more packed as the summer goes on. I'm amazed there haven't been multiple faces with wheel marks already!
    Agree they'd be grand on roads once well lit though.

What is the bleedin point of them if they have to stick to roads? I would wager their most popular fare is down Shop St. Who is going to get them if they have to go via the docks and then drop you down by the Sparch or vice versa?

Seriously when did everyone become such a simpering herd of whingebags? It's embarrassing. I'm surprised nobody has gone for the "but what about all of Galway's wheelchair users who might not be able to get out the way!!!!" card yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Some of the used to be around in the daytime too. I think that disappeared when the licensing regieme was introduced (even though they'e not all licensed) - couldn't be 100% sure 'cos I'm not around the city-centre so much during the day any more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I believe the rickshaw owners have formed an organisation and are vowing to continue in their trade, honouring their loyal customers.

They're never going to give it up, never going to let you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Robbo wrote: »
    They're never going to give it up, never going to let you down.

They're never going to run around and hurt you. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

I don't see what peoples problem is with them and I don't think they should be banned, I have used them on occasion and they add to the buzz of the night. Sometimes I think people complain because they have nothing better to do. If there was proof that they were a danger then fair enough but claims of "Near Misses" are pointless.

Fair play to the lads who do it, it can't be an easy job - unsocialable hours, not knowing how much you are going to make, you would need to be fairly fit as its quite physical and having to deal with drunkards. I know I wouldn't fancy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Let's get this straight...

The Council forced the rickshaw operators to get licenses. So the 'legit' ones paid the Council for them, 100 euros per year.
    Then the unlicensed ones continued to operate but the Wardens did nothing about the 'illegals' cos, God forbid, they might have to go and work at 2 or 3am even once in a year.
    They did nothing even when the legit guys complained that guys without licences were still working in town.
    The Guards said it was a matter for the Council's Wardens, who happened to be at home in bed.
    Then the 15 councillors sit down on a Monday night and ban them, putting the 20 'legit' guys out of business.

Once again, Galway City Council is living in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,464 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Unfortunately the wardens can't work on flexi-time. They are given a shift to work. If they went out at 3 or 4 in the morning they would probably have to do some sort of 'citizens arrest' or turn themselves into vigilantes.
    That reminds me, time to watch Taxi Driver again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

don't feed the gondolas :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

It seems like a bunch of begrudging old people making the rules. Is there any legitimate reason for this banning? I personally don't like them. I can't stand drunken yobs screaming at you as they weave past you, but there isn't reason enough to put a blanket ban on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If we elect "begrudging old people" as city councillors, then that is what we will get.

If you don't like the current councillors, feel free to start a campaign to get better ones elected next time.

But when you're thinking about rules for stuff lick rickshaws, remember to consider the perspectives of the older people who live in the inner city, as well as the fit students who could leap out of the way if necessary.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I wonder how many reported rickshaw related injuries have occurred during their short time in business :rolleyes: I bet it's as high as delivery van related injuries on shop street during the early hours of each day, or the street's equally as dangerous human sign posts :pac:

I may have no love for the rickshaws, but I do hate arbitrary lawmaking and I for one will be emailing/writing said councillors just to let them know where I stand.

• Advertisement

Unsurprisingly, not one single person who I discussed this with over the past week has thought it was anything but ridiculous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement