Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rickshaws to be banned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Ah-Heyor-672x480.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

hardCopy wrote: »
    Seems a pretty dumbass move by the council. The rickshaws provide jobs, produce less emissions than a taxi and cost give the council nothing.
    FTFY...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Whilst I dont think that they should ban them, they should get driving lessons for the riders!

Myself and a mate were in one that overturned on friday evening outside the skeffington arms, after it hit one of the retractable bollards at speed, en route to Coyote.

I remember telling the driver that we werent going to make it, but he laughed and said thered been no crashes in 7 years and that we would scrape through, without slowing he powered on towards the bollards, next thing i remember is a bang and then climbing out of the overturned rickshaw.

I suffered a minor head injury and my mate has suffered a serious hand injury. We did nothing about it on friday, we were having beers at a stag, but believe me im thinking that we should have now.

Yeah sure theres been no crashes in 7 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

never too late if you have a serious injury, they are all supposed to have insurance now as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Morpheus wrote: »
    I suffered a minor head injury and my mate has suffered a serious hand injury. We did nothing about it on friday, we were having beers at a stag, but believe me im thinking that we should have now.

Hope you at least saw a doctor about it or there may be little you can do about it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Can you reliably identify the driver of the particular rickshaw you were in? Did you take photos of his face and his license at the scene? Was this injury accident reported to the gardai?

TBH, you're damn lucky if the worse is your mate's hand injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭squonk

Hope you're all going to be OK. I think this is just a textbook case showing that the council (unusually for once) actually seem to have made a right decision by banning these rickshaws.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

squonk wrote: »
    Hope you're all going to be OK. I think this is just a textbook case showing that the council (unusually for once) actually seem to have made a right decision by banning these rickshaws.

Nah, an arbitrary ban is still an arbitrary ban despite one reported incident on boards.ie :pac:

unfortunately all i remember is that we got it from outside the kings head, he's a skinny young bloke with a goatee and dark hair - a student in NUI studying arts and majoring in english.

I was probably more concerned with him than either me or my mate as he was thrown off the bike, strange that may seem but probably due to the nature of some of the work ive done in the past its natural for me to assess peoples injuries first and then worry about suing anyone!!!

He seemed shaken and a bit bashed but okay nonetheless.

we decided we didnt want to do anything other than find the rest of our mates and to get some ice packs.

TBH We were both a bit too worse for wear to be anything other than grateful that we could still walk after the incident. plenty of people outside skeffs saw it and people walking up and down eyre square too. in hindsight, yeah i shouldve taken his companies details in case later on we realised - when sober - how sore we really were. as i sit here now, my scalp still hurts if I frown or raise my eyebrows so im trying to be as emotionless as possible with my face today.

Im waiting to hear about my mates hand from the doctors now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Can you reliably identify the driver of the particular rickshaw you were in? Did you take photos of his face and his license at the scene? Was this injury accident reported to the gardai?

TBH, you're damn lucky if the worse is your mate's hand injury.
    Storm 10 wrote: »
    never too late if you have a serious injury, they are all supposed to have insurance now as far as I know.

I would not assume that he had either. While there are operators that went to the expense of registering themselves and getting insurance etc I understand there are others that didn't.

I asked some Guards about it one night in town and their position was that conformance with city by laws was a matter for the city to enforce.

Anyway long story short, if I have it right, if you are a young fella who feels like trying out rickshaw driving there are people who will just hire one out to you. Its up to the driver then to make his (or her) money back.

However making money it is not the only motivation for rickshaw driving. It is also a good way for young men in their late teens or early twenties to meet young women.

It is probable that the way young men in their late teens or early twenties drive rickshaws would not be much different than how they drive cars. It is also likely that they are much less of a public menace in rickshaws than they are in cars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

all this from some anecdotal evidence from a thread on boards.ie?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭squonk

G Power wrote: »
    all this from some anecdotal evidence from a thread on boards.ie?? :eek:

Well if the poster's friend needs more advanced medical attention (let's hope not), there doesn't seem to be any comeback here for claiming compensation. Galway isn't that big and the streets are small. I've nearly been knocked down myself by these rickshaws.

Maybe you should hold a march about Anecdotal evidence on Boards GPower? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Well if the poster's friend needs more advanced medical attention (let's hope not), there doesn't seem to be any comeback here for claiming compensation. Galway isn't that big and the streets are small. I've nearly been knocked down myself by these rickshaws.

Maybe you should hold a march about Anecdotal evidence on Boards GPower? :)

I saw a car crash once. Let's ban all cars

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Grimebox wrote: »
    I saw a car crash once. Let's ban all cars

Pedestrians & cyclists get knocked down, lets ban them for their own safety.
    Horses and other animals sh*t on the roads, lets ban them.
    Oops nobody can go outside the door because nobody can walk to the buses.:pac:

Update: my mates fine, nothing major done, still its cost his pocket a GP and an Xray.

Personally wont be using the rickshaws again anyway, either in Dublin or Galway.

I remember years ago as a kid though you could hire this mad 4 wheel "bicycle" that a whole family used and could be cycled by everyone. They were hired during the summer for an hour at a time and were mostly used on the promenade up and down by salthill...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

This is such a non issue.

Banning bloody rickshaws? come on. Is that the agenda in Galway City council?

Waste of fúckin time and energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,464 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Was never a fan of the things but had to feel sorry for a lad with a 'cut and shut' jobbie last night. He was just crawling around Quay Street looking for customers when a wheel fell off.
    Could have been much worse a month ago when some of the 'drivers' were racing around with a full load.
    Wonder what's going to happen to the rest of the bikes when they are finally phased out?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

IK09 wrote: »
    This is such a non issue.

Banning bloody rickshaws? come on. Is that the agenda in Galway City council?

Waste of fúckin time and energy.

Perhaps you are right.

But this issue sums up so much of what's wrong with Galway City Council.

They bring in a license system, force operators to pay €100 per year, then don't bother enforcing the system, allow unlicensed guys to keep operating without penalties, and then suddenly bring in a blanket ban two years later because some cranky Fianna Fail councillor and his taxi driving or publican buddies don't like them.

I personally never use them, but feel they are a bit of harmless fun for weekend visitors to the city. Plus, they do actually get drunk people in distress home safely to their hotels and hostels.

celty wrote: »
    Plus, they do actually get drunk people in distress home safely to their hotels and hostels.

:pac:
    My ar$e they get you home safe!!!

Did you read my post at all!?:cool:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84153657&postcount=64

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

I remember years ago as a kid though you could hire this mad 4 wheel "bicycle" that a whole family used and could be cycled by everyone. They were hired during the summer for an hour at a time and were mostly used on the promenade up and down by salthill...

Thanks for the flashback!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I was in Salthill on Monday and spotted something similar to the courtesy buses you get at theme parks - similar to the Leisureland train. Had a 131 D reg and about 4 - 6 carriages. Was wondering if this is something new operating in Salthill or Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

dilallio wrote: »
    I was in Salthill on Monday and spotted something similar to the courtesy buses you get at theme parks - similar to the Leisureland train. Had a 131 D reg and about 4 - 6 carriages. Was wondering if this is something new operating in Salthill or Galway.

It will be starting at the weekend from town to Salthill with less than that amount of carriages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,464 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

It will be starting at the weekend from town to Salthill with less than that amount of carriages.

What's the story with that? Who's running it, what route etc.? Not spotted anything about it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

What's the story with that? Who's running it, what route etc.? Not spotted anything about it elsewhere.

I think the owner(dont know name) was keeping it hush hush to stop competitors doing same. Route is City-Salthill i dont know the exact route though, im sure ye will spot them over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Is this the end of the Galway rickshaw?http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/100713_01.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I remember those things and plaguing the ol lad to rent one.

I think if they were available today I'd prefer them to the car for getting around Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Jeez, all I remember about those things was how out of control they always seemed! Never hired one myself, but I remember them lurching all over Salthill, both on the road and on the path. They'd bring on road rage incidents these days, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Eeden wrote: »
    Jeez, all I remember about those things was how out of control they always seemed! Never hired one myself, but I remember them lurching all over Salthill, both on the road and on the path. They'd bring on road rage incidents these days, no doubt.
    Pedal car technology has come on leaps and bounds since the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

It's seems this is the last weekend in which you can 'legally' use a rickshaw, folks.

The new Council byelaws have effectively banned them, although you have to read well down into the document before being informed that they are banned.

No new licences come into effect from next Monday (July 22).

I've never used one and am not a big fan, but I think it's appalling that the Council brought in a licenscing system, never clamped down on the 'illegals' who never bothered to get licences, and then just decided to put these people out of business.

If anything, they added a little to the 'colour' of a weekend night in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Force them to buy a licence, and then ban them? I'd want a refund there so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement