Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nike Sport Watch GPS v Garmin Forerunner 10

Options
  • 12-03-2013 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

Hi

Looking to get a cheap gps watch I have a voucher for €150 that can be used in a sport shop called The Edge-sports in Cork (link below). Basically I don't mind spending a little more than the €150 and that is why I have picked the Nike watch.
    Out of the two the Nike display seems to be bigger which might make it easier to read when running and also seems slimmer plus I have a pair of Nike runners which can take the foot pod.
    Anyone have opinions on the watches listed.
    Other options welcome if people feel these two are not that good.

http://www.theedge-sports.com/store/department/112/WATCHES/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I haven't used either, but the Forerunner 10 gets very positive reviews, based on its budget price-point. Speaking of which, have you checked out any reviews?
    Here's some from DC Rainmaker:
    Nike Sport Watch
    Forerunner 10

I find if you take a look at Amazon reviews, you can get an idea of returns and breakages (but take reviews with a pinch of salt, as they tend towards the ill-informed).

By the way, those special offers are not that special! They sell the Forerunner 410 for €255, which you can usually pick up (with heart rate monitor strap) from Amazon.co.uk for around €150. So if you have the opportunity, you may be better off spending that voucher on running gear, and buying the watch seperately, base don what best fits your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Hi

Looking to get a cheap gps watch I have a voucher for €150 that can be used in a sport shop called The Edge-sports in Cork (link below). Basically I don't mind spending a little more than the €150 and that is why I have picked the Nike watch.
    Out of the two the Nike display seems to be bigger which might make it easier to read when running and also seems slimmer plus I have a pair of Nike runners which can take the foot pod.
    Anyone have opinions on the watches listed.
    Other options welcome if people feel these two are not that good.

http://www.theedge-sports.com/store/department/112/WATCHES/

If you are on the edge loyalty program (don't know if it covers watches, bet it doesn't) but a further 10% off would bring it similar to amazon prices.

There is no benefit to buying a watch in a sports shop. Ok there are shops like AK that will replace things but somewhere like the edge won't. It will be sent back to England to be fixed or replaced. To do this yourself it cost about 4 euro registered post but in the case of expensive watches much can be saved. For example I got a garmin 610 from amazon.com for 300 euro. 450+ in the edge. Something was wrong with it so I had to get it repaired/replaced. I had to post it back to garmin. I got it back the following week. For me personally it's better to post something off, have the tracking info rather than getting the shop to do the same. You would also have to call back to the shop to get it so thats a pain.

Also when you post it off yourself you can be put it in the post that day. You don't know if the shop just posts stuff once every week or two to save money on postage which will add to the delay on getting it back.

Portable consumer electronics generally have a worldwide warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

I have the Nike one. Pretty happy with it. Nike replaced the original one after 7 months as it starting going from almost fully charged to empty in a matter of minutes. Nice display and it's a handy size, I wear it all day on my running days. When I run with people using Garmins though, the Nike always underestimates the distance a bit compared to them. The Nike site is a matter of taste, I hate it and end up exporting all my data to Endomondo. 6/10 kind of watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Thanks. It didn't dawn on me to check the prices on Amazon :o.
    The forerunner 410 is a good price at €160 incl delivery. The review by DC Rainmaker made a comment about the touch bezel and it been temperamental. Anyone who owns one do they have any issues??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Hi,

I have a Garmin 410 and while the touch bezel did take a bit of getting used to, it's grand now that I know it's quirks. Other than getting used to the bezel, not one single problem since the day I bought it.

I love the watch and use it every day for both running and cycling. It's great to be able to send complex interval sessions to it and use them for workouts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement