Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angling Gear in Lidl. Thursday, 14th March.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Slasher wrote: »
    The landing net isnt too bad, not great tho as a heavy fish will break the frame.The star lights are good but the rest is pretty crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Mostly crap tbh....it used to appeal to our foreign friends back in the Celtic tiger....because it w cheap sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

To be fair, it's grand if you're only going fishing once a year and aren't too pushed by crude gear. But, if you are thinking of taking up fishing as a regular hobby, I'd stay away from it, you'd be better off visiting your local tackle shop and buying some good quality second hand gear than this stuff. Plus you can get as much free advice as you can take from your tackle dealer.

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I loled at this
    Floating Trout Bait
    Choose from 4 different styles
    Floating, moldable trout bait with original trout hatchery food, glitter effect and original flavours
    2 year guarantee

Its all rubbish, cheap tools of the trade for poachers who don't mind getting their tackle confiscated instead of a 160 euro fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

I loled at this

Its all rubbish, cheap tools of the trade for poachers who don't mind getting their tackle confiscated instead of a 160 euro fine.

You have a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭con___manx1

the leg waders are okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Allround Predator

I'll be in to get the star lights if they have them otherwise the rest of their stuff is just rubbish!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Had a google at this

Choose from Bait box, Float/bottom set, Predatory fishing bait box or Predatory fish box
    Use to fish for carp, eel and other predatory and nonpredatory fish

Carp
    Top predator in our lakes and rivers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Junk man, pure junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Saw it in Lidl before. Grand for a kid whos going on holiday and needs a cheap setup, that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Had a google at this

Choose from Bait box, Float/bottom set, Predatory fishing bait box or Predatory fish box
    Use to fish for carp, eel and other predatory and nonpredatory fish

Carp
    Top predator in our lakes and rivers :)

perhaps the carp would fall in to the nonpredatory category??

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Mostly crap tbh....it used to appeal to our foreign friends back in the Celtic tiger....because it w cheap sh1te.

did you start out back in the day with a hardy in each hand or like most ppl graduate up to quality????

it is what it is - cheap fishing gear that will get you on the water but won't last a lifetime.....if you stay for the long haul you will invest, if not then no loss,

and don't overestimate the guy behind the counter at the tackle shop - its only when YOU gain knowledge that you realise what he actually knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Got some nice bits and pieces cheap. If it gets people out and fishing, why knock it. Ideal for newbies, guilt-complex tackle tarts and those who cannot help themselves...:)

I used one of their bigger rods got a few years ago to take a couple of good bass in Wexford at night no problem. Some of the funkier lures are LRF gold and I knocked out a few flounder on them.

Used other rods to take some rockin tench and carp in Oatlands fishery too.

Good way to stock up on flights, floats, misc pieces and to fast track yourself into new styles of fishing (coarse?) and if you enjoy it, then upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

uvox wrote: »
    Got some nice bits and pieces cheap. If it gets people out and fishing, why knock it. Ideal for newbies, guilt-complex tackle tarts and those who cannot help themselves...:)

I used one of their bigger rods got a few years ago to take a couple of good bass in Wexford at night no problem. Some of the funkier lures are LRF gold and I knocked out a few flounder on them.

Used other rods to take some rockin tench and carp in Oatlands fishery too.

Good way to stock up on flights, floats, misc pieces and to fast track yourself into new styles of fishing (coarse?) and if you enjoy it, then upgrade.

exactly:) i cant help shopping for fishing gear no matter where it is or how good it is, you'll pick upa a few bits in there that may be of use, i cant rem if it was aldi or lidl but i got a 17ft (carp)rod in there and use for trawling for trout and i have it 6 or 7 yrs, still going strong....coarse stuff is fine too, my son 15yrs old is into it now on the river shannon with a few mates and the floats are fine... i wouldnt trust the hooks or line mind you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

Shakes head at some people on here. I bought a pike rod that folds into itself and have been using it for salmon fishing. Never lost a fish yet and i think its a great wee rod for 15euro and i bet ill catch another few this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

i bought a couple of the boat rigs over the years. Still fine, nice and light, depth inddicators on the multipliers. perfectly good if you only get out on the boat 3-4 times a year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 sharpshooter66

Got about 20 lures in a lidl box set for the price of two in a tackle shop a while ago :D they actually weren't that bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Spr1ngsteen

Please forgive my ignorance, but would someone mind explaining to me why the stuff is junk? I saw a box of hooks there (300 pieces) for a tenner i think.

I'm not saying it's not crap, just wondering. Do cheap hooks bend/break/injure fish or something?

I have bought a new rod and reel from a fishing tackle shop recently, but need to get some tackle. I don't have a lot to spend and i'll only be doing some casual pier fishing. Would this hook set suffice or should i just head back to the fishing tackle shop?

Any advice appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Please forgive my ignorance, but would someone mind explaining to me why the stuff is junk? I saw a box of hooks there (300 pieces) for a tenner i think.

I'm not saying it's not crap, just wondering. Do cheap hooks bend/break/injure fish or something?

I have bought a new rod and reel from a fishing tackle shop recently, but need to get some tackle. I don't have a lot to spend and i'll only be doing some casual pier fishing. Would this hook set suffice or should i just head back to the fishing tackle shop?

Any advice appreciated :)

There are approximately 25 different Hook sizes and Countless different Hook Patterns, size & pattern depend on what type of fishing you are doing and what species you are fishing for, it's a case of horses for courses, there's no point using a size 4/0 zinc hook when you are fishing for Dace as the hook would be a third of the size of the fish, nor would you use a size 24 canal hook fishing from a pier as a jellyfish would straighten it out. So just to be clear it's not a case of "A Hook is a Hook", as it'd be like trying to play Football with a Rugby ball, pointless.

let us know where you are fishing and what for and we'll advise as much as we can

21/25

Advertisement