Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a room, no contract / agreement - Am I entitled to my deposit?

Options
  • 12-03-2013 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

I've been renting a room in an apartment for 6 months. I'm changing jobs so want to move out the end of April, giving about 6 weeks notice

I never signed any rent agreement, but paid my deposit and have paid my rent each month on time

Am I right in believing that since I signed no agreement, once I give at least 30 days notice I can move out at any time, and I am entitled to my deposit back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Hi there. Normally with rent a room scheme, the notice period should reflect the way in which you pay. i.e. if you pay weekly, then a weeks notice; If you pay monthly, then a months notice.

You should be entitled to your deposit back less your share of any outstanding bills and cost of repair/replacement for anything that is your responsibility beyond normal wear and tear.

EDIT - I was working on the basis that this was a 'rent a room' scheme scenario. If that's not the case, what djimi said below.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Do you live with your landlord?

Either way you are entitled to your deposit back. If you live with your landlord then you are a licensee and as such there are no real formal rules as to how much notice you must give, but I would imagine most would expect 28 days.

If you do not live with your landlord then you must give 28 days notice for up to 6 months, and 35 days notice for 6-12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Not living with the landlord

One leaseholder who sublets the other 2 rooms

Thanks for the feedback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

unreggd wrote: »
    Not living with the landlord

One leaseholder who sublets the other 2 rooms

Thanks for the feedback
    Do you mean by that, that the "leaseholder" is renting the apartment from the owner/landlord and that you in turn are renting a room from him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

odds_on wrote: »
    Do you mean by that, that the "leaseholder" is renting the apartment from the owner/landlord and that you in turn are renting a room from him?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

unreggd wrote: »
    Yes.

In that case you are a licensee/lodger of the "leaseholder" (he is actually a tenant of the landlord/owner) who has exclusive use of the property. He has given you permission (or a license to live there also).

Usually, under most lease agreements, written permission from the landlord is required for tenants to let out rooms in the property that they are renting. You have very few rights and cannot make a claim with the PRTB as licensees do not have a tenancy agreement.

However, in renting a room as a licensee/lodger, the usual notice period is the same as the rent period: you pay weekly, one week's notice; you pay monthly, one month's notice required; that is, unless any other arrangement has been agreed to.

And, yes, you are entitled to your deposit back excepting any damage in excess of normal wear and tear.

Advertisement