Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F.C. Barcelona vs A.C. Milan CL last 16 2nd leg Match Thread

• 12-03-2013 11:22am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

225px-FCB.svg.png

Vs

654-6.jpg

Tonight Max Allegri's young A.C. Milan team try to do what seemed impossible only a few months ago and defeat Barcelona to reach the last 8 of the 2012-2013 Champions League.

A.C. Milan fans had a horrible summer and an even worse autumn after the departure of over half of last seasons first team squad between a mixture of retirements and transfers. Losing two of the best players in the world in the form of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Thiago Silva, and four of the clubs most iconic players of the Ancelotti era in Alesandro Nesta, Clarence Seeford, Rino Gattuso and Pippo Inzaghi along with a host of others.

As sad as the departures of club legends and world class talents was the start of the season was even worse. By the end of November it looked like Allegri was doomed for the sack and Milan were destined for Mid table obscurity this season as their young squad struggled for form and fitness and without the goals of Stephan El Shaarawy in the first half of the season all might already have been lost for il Diavolo.

All that changed come the turn of the year. Milan found form. Helped by the emergence of some of the most exciting young players in Europe, Mattia De Sciglio, Stephen El Shaarawy and M'Baye Niang, the signing of Mario Balotelli and players like Montolivo, Flamini, Mexes, Constant and Pazzini finally clicking and finding form Allegri's side have gone from looking like Serie A no hopers to an outside bet for giving Juventus a run for their money in the title race and convincingly beating Barcelona 2-0 at home in the first leg of this tie and having the chance to progress at the expense of the club everyone considered the overwhelming favourites for not just this fixture but the entire competition. If Allegri and his band of youngsters can continue their recent form and pass Barcelona, it will the best night for Milan in Europe since beating Liverpool in 2007 and proof that Allegri has what it takes to be manager of one of the most successful clubs in world football.

On the other hand Barcelona started the season in flying form and tore away from the pack in La Liga and by November were already out of touch for the chasing pack. New manager Tito Vilanova had Barcelona playing some of their best football in years and the disappointment of losing the League to Real Madrid was being overwritten with absolute dominance of their league and european opposition in their typical tiki-taca fashion of 75%+ possesion and free flowing passing. Then disaster struck, Vilanova was diagnosed with Cancer and had to step aside for treatment and allow Jordi Roura to take the reigns until he recovers. Sine then their form has dipped and they look like a shadow of the team they were earlier in the season. Although they are still waltzing to the La Liga title this season, they have recently dropped points and looked like mere mortals and unless they can rediscover their best form they could easily be looking at an earlier than expected exit from European competition this season. If the Barcelona everyone knows can show up tonight does show up and Xavi, Messi, Iniesta and co can produce the football they are without doubt capable of, they always have a chance of turning over Milan and making an example of them and proving their continued run as the dominant European super power but if they carry on their recent form, it will be a big ask.

Tonight at 19.45 Allegri's youngsters try to prove they have come of age while Barcelona will be hoping to prove they are still the Champions League's top dogs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I reckon Barcelona will 3-1 on the night and go out on away goals.

Should be a cracking game regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Seaneh wrote: »
    they have recently dropped points and looked like mere mortals

For this sentence, and every other like it that shall be uttered by d*ckhead pundits around the world - I really hope AC Milan hold on and knock Barca out.

Really looking forward to the game, Barca need the goals and interesting to see if AC can keep them out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Losing two of the best players in the world in the form of Zlatan Ibrahimovic
    I know Ibra's good, but I don't think I've ever heard him be lauded as two of the best players in the world

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

28064212 wrote: »
    I know Ibra's good, but I don't think I've ever heard him be lauded as two of the best players in the world

It should have been followed by "and Thiago Silva" :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Milan will hold on to scrape through.

For anyone who can't get near a tv, 2fm will have the game live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If Barca do not score in the opening 20 minutes Milan will definitely go through.

If Barca do score in the opening 20, they have every chance.

Barca need to score at least 4 tonight though, as they will almost certainly concede. I would not put it past them, but they are bang out of form lately. Xavi coming back is a massive boon.

In truth I think it will be 2-1 Barca tonight with Milan taking the lead on 35 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I'd wonder if AC Milan even have it in their minds to try and get a goal. I think it will be defend defend defend for their lives.

They showed signs they had cracked the Barca code last time around, but Barca have shown how easily they can get the ball in the net and it will only take a slight blip from AC to allow it.

Normally not a Barca fan in any capacity, but I hope they make this very interesting.

I'm predicting extra time.

I'd wonder if AC Milan even have it in their minds to try and get a goal. I think it will be defend defend defend for their lives.

They would be daft if they didn't try and nick at least one. The Barca defense has been porous this season and is wide open to exploitation. 1 goal for Milan and its tie over IMO.

The way I see it is this, Milan have to score.
    If Milan score then Barcelona have to score 4 goals to go through.

If Milan can score in the first half and keep Barcelona out until half time then they have a great chance.

If Barca score early then Milan will have a hard time keeping in themselves in the tie unless they can score an equaliser.

I think Allegri will use the same tactic as the last match, allow them possession but use Milan's width and pace on the break.

I think De Sciglio and Abate will start at full back to offer natural width and pace for counter attacks and I hope Niang and SES start with Pazzo up top because their pace will scare the bejaysus out of Pique and Puyol and Pazzo will put his usual shift of making a pain in the arse of himself for the two centrebacks and use his strength and aerial ability to hold the ball up when needed.

In midfield I think it will be Ambrosini, Montolivo and Flamini with Mexes and Zapata at centre back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I think De Sciglio and Abate will start at full back to offer natural width and pace for counter attacks and I hope Niang and SES start with Pazzo up top.

Pazzini is out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Really looking forward to this. Was so impressed with Milan's shape in the first leg. Not once were they pulled out of position by Barca and they attacked with venom. Come on Milan....dare I say it....0-2 Milan at the Camp Nou tonight! Go on the Rossoneri!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

gimmick wrote: »
    If Barca do not score in the opening 20 minutes Milan will definitely go through.

If Barca do score in the opening 20, they have every chance.

Barca need to score at least 4 tonight though, as they will almost certainly concede. I would not put it past them, but they are bang out of form lately. Xavi coming back is a massive boon.

In truth I think it will be 2-1 Barca tonight with Milan taking the lead on 35 minutes.

I agree that scoring early is vital. I wouldn't rule them out completely if they don't, and I wouldn't say they are definitely through if they do, but it is key.

If Milan hang on in this opening period, get comfortable, and survive what will surely be an early onslaught with fans in full voice then they become big favourites.

Piqué has called for patience from the crowd, and he is right to do so because it won't help them much if the crowd get restless. However, I think they know, and I think Piqué knows that an early goal could be absolutely crucial.

I don't think it's definite Barca will concede. They are likely to have 70% plus possession. Obviously Milan will be a threat on the counter, but the absolute dominance I imagine Barca will have could easily mean a clean sheet for them.

It's very difficult to predict this one. The score says advantage Milan, but you can not rule Barca out from trashing anyone at home.

It's a massive game for Barca and their legacy in this era imo.

I'm pretty neutral here. Hoping for a good tight game more than anything and maybe some extra-time (which I wouldn't at all rule out).

I'd be slightly tempted at 0-0 at 20/1.

It seems a big price considering Milan successfully shut them out at the San Siro. I'm expecting a Chelsea/Inter-esque performance from Milan, and if they do it well and Barca are poor, 0-0 is certainly a possibility.

I'm not expecting 0-0 but it's possible and 20/1 seems quite long for me.

maximoose wrote: »
    Pazzini is out

I've a feeling Allegri will start Niang centrally with either Baoteng or Bojan on the right so.

Pazzo is a big loss, his strength would have been a massive help tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Some thing tells me theres fire in the belly of some of these Barca players, all or nothing tonight! I fancy them to turn it up a gear and take the tie 5-1 5-3 over both legs.

I could be radically wrong and Milan keep it tight at 2-1 Barca :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Given the manner of defeat in the first leg, given their results since that game at the San Siro, given the situation with their manager and the sympathetic situation that Jordi Roura finds himself in, given the ridiculous amount of criticism this group of players has received in the last few weeks and the accusation that they can't break down a parked bus, victory tonight would be one of this team's truly great results.

"In the aftermath of Barcelona's 2-0 defeat at Milan, Xavi Hernández was putting on a brave face. "The one thing that is missing for this generation of players is an historic remontada," he said. A remontada is a comeback; the trouble is, it's not really Barcelona's thing." (Sid Lowe)

I have no doubt that this is a team capable of producing such a performance. Victory tonight for Barcelona would not only be vindication for the team, the hierarchy of Barcelona but for the football philosophy they so proudly represent. It would be a great victory for football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It would be a great victory for football.

bollocks.

why in Jebus' name would football win if Barca win tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I reckon Barcelona will 3-1 on the night and go out on away goals.

Should be a cracking game regardless.

Is this your go to prediction?

It was right last time I suppose :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Really looking forward to this. The first leg was brilliant to watch. Milan were absolutely superb. the discipline, fitness levels and application to the game plan to a man was hugely admirable and I was delighted to see them take a healthy lead to the second leg.

I really really hope Milan go through tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Hopefully Milan wins the tie. They were superb in the first leg and it was one of the best defensive performance I have seen against Barca in long time. It was superb effort and not just luck, they restricted Barca so well that they hardly had a clear cut chance.

• Advertisement

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    Is this your go to prediction?

It was right last time I suppose :p

/Checks crystal ball.

Yup, it's a banker, throw the mortgage/rent/Cheltenham money on it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Cant beleive that Barca have been given odds as short as 6/5 in pp or 13/10 b365 to qualify!
    And they are also only 11/2 to win the whole thing. ZERO value
    Milan are 22/1 to win EC

Cant beleive that Barca have been given odds as short as 6/5 in pp or 13/10 b365 to qualify!
    And they are also only 11/2 to win the whole thing. ZERO value
    Milan are 22/1 to win EC

6/5 on betfred as well.

A.C. Milan are 4/6 to qualify at the moment, although I think I seen it at 5/6 earlier on the same site.

SlickRic wrote: »
    bollocks.

why in Jebus' name would football win if Barca win tonight?

LOL. I was wondering who would bite at that particular shiny nugget.

Victory tonight for Barcelona would not only be vindication for the team, the hierarchy of Barcelona but for the football philosophy they so proudly represent. It would be a great victory for football.

Do you do this after you post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

LOL. I was wondering who would bite at that particular shiny nugget.

i have a low bullshít threshold these days I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Given the manner of defeat in the first leg, given their results since that game at the San Siro, given the situation with their manager and the sympathetic situation that Jordi Roura finds himself in, given the ridiculous amount of criticism this group of players has received in the last few weeks and the accusation that they can't break down a parked bus, victory tonight would be one of this team's truly great results.

"In the aftermath of Barcelona's 2-0 defeat at Milan, Xavi Hernández was putting on a brave face. "The one thing that is missing for this generation of players is an historic remontada," he said. A remontada is a comeback; the trouble is, it's not really Barcelona's thing." (Sid Lowe)

I have no doubt that this is a team capable of producing such a performance. Victory tonight for Barcelona would not only be vindication for the team, the hierarchy of Barcelona but for the football philosophy they so proudly represent. It would be a great victory for football.

Oh for gods sake.

Milan are one of the greatest clubs in the history of the game and have produced teams that equal or perhaps surpass your precious Barcelona.

Cop on, seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Heck, I'd go further than that.It would be a victory for the little guy, the underdog, and god knows Barcelona are the underdog tonight!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Your fawning over Barca is truly embarrassing.

• Advertisement

It was a pleasure to see Ambrosini roll back the years last time out. hes 36 on May 29th! I wonder how many km he covered? i reckon at least 11km

The lad Jean-Pierre Meersseman must be putting some seriosly good stuff in the water over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Milan to go through. Barca have been very poor over the past two and half months. They've looked tame and devoid of ideas at time with Messi pulling them through. Milan shut out Messi in the first leg and if they do so again tonight then Barca will be out. Barca kept a clean sheet on Saturday but that was only because Depor lacked the finesse to direct their counter attacks meaningfully. Milan showed they're very potent on the counter attack and should definitely be able to grab a goal tonight. If they do then that should be the tie imo. I'd expect Allegri knows this too and will spend the first ten or so minutes pressing Barca heavily trying to sneak that early goal.

Obviously if Barca find form then anything can happen, but there's no evidence of form in the past two months so you have to fancy Milan here and dare I say comfortably too.

The other thing of course that we can't rule out is Milan pulling another repeat performance of their second leg versus Arsenal. If that happens then this tie even with Barca off form will be very very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

What a crock of sh1t.

If anything a Milan victory would be a vindication for football. They have showed that intelligence, hard work and organisation can pay off vs lethargy. Compare how much milan spend in recent years and how much barca have. The level of talent on display and the heart and effort showed the previous game. Which would inspire the average player?

Secondly Milan is the most succesful club of the last 30 years and to see them start become truly relevant again can only be great for football. To have italian teams getting better means as a whole european football will be more competitive. There will never be another spell of competitiveness like the 99-03 years but surely another club with a chance of winning is better than it just turning into a 3/4 club rotation every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

lolers

AC Milan are one of football's giants who have totally rebuilt their squad over the past year and produced a tactical masterclass in the first leg. Barcelona are entitled to and representative of nothing more or less than Milan.

Starting Milan Team?

Abbiati
    Abate or Sciglio, Mexes, Zapata, Constant
    Ambrosini
    Montilivio
    Muntari
    Prince
    El Shaarawy
    NIang

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'll go for a 1-1 draw with Milan killing the game off in the second half. As great as the current Barcelona Era is, they are woefully out of form and without a manager.

The run of 5 CL semi finals to come to an end.

• Advertisement

Starting Milan Team?

Abbiati
    Abate or Sciglio, Mexes, Zapata, Constant
    Ambrosini
    Montilivio
    Muntari
    Prince
    El Shaarawy
    NIang

I reckon it's De Sciglio left full, abate right full and Flamini for Muntari.

Cheers
    Do you know if De Sciglio is left footed?
    Muntari is not vgood at retainig posession. is that why Flamini will play?

Alright might as well predict the Barca team then :

Valdes
    Alves , Pique, Mascherano, Alba
    Busquets
    ----Xavi
    Cesc
    Pedro
    Iniesta
    Messi

Personally think Barca would benefit though if they played Tello or Cuenca but I think the latter is still injured?

Jernal wrote: »
    Alright might as well predict the Barca team then :

Valdes
    Alves , Pique, Mascherano, Alba
    Busquets
    ----Xavi
    Cesc
    Pedro
    Iniesta
    Messi

Personally think Barca would benefit though if they played Tello or Cuenca but I think the latter is still injured?

..Is on loan at Ajax!!!

Cheers
    Do you know if De Sciglio is left footed?
    Muntari is not vgood at retainig posession. is that why Flamini will play?

He's naturally right footed but very good with his left.

I reckon Flamini will play because as well as being better at winning the ball he's also a better passer. Muntari is a ball of energy and never stops running but Flamini is a smarter defensive player and technically superior.

• Advertisement

..Is on loan at Ajax!!!

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭chillian17

Such a tough game to call for me. Pazzini and Balotelli out for Milan helps Barca so much. Also the return of Xavi will too. I watched the Barca press conference yesterday, and Pique looked so fired up and ready for this game, interesting quote from him; "if any cule doesn't believe we will go through against Milan, they should give their ticket to another fan who does."
    However I do wonder what the real effect of Tito Vilanova's loss to the team is. I wrote this about it last week, basically saying that they're lacking a leader, someone to guide them in their biggest games lately (as it showed vs Milan and Real Madrid in the past month.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

The general talk of Barca's recent demise is laughable, still on track to win the best league in Europe with a record points total-crisis.

I mean I couldn't dream of Milan being in this position a few months ago when it looked all doom and gloom, prob the form team in Europe right now, turnaround has been amazing if not a little flattering of our overall ability. We've given ourselves a super chance here tonight but I'm quite fearful of the backlash from Barca, if both teams perform close to their peaks it could be an extremely tight night, if Milan are even slightly below par Barca could well tare us apart and silence the critics who without doubt struggle with recency bias.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

If I was a betting man I would have put a bet on 2-2 earlier in the week...but I'm not and Im lucky as Pazzi is out. Thats a big loss as El Shaarawy is not in the form he was in. And with Mexes not fully fit its even tougher.

3-0 to Barca I think.

Milan line-up (official): Abbiati - Abate Mexes Zapata Constant - Montolivo Ambrosini Flamini - Boateng Niang ElShaarawy

Barcelona XI: Valdés; Alves, Mascherano, Piqué, Jordi Alba; Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta; Pedro, Messi, Villa

Back to the side that started the 2011 CL final bar Alba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Hopefully SES and Niang can take advantage of the lack of pace in Masch and Pique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Barca to win 2-0 and get to extra time where I think Milan will nick goal to get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Wouldn't it be great for barcelona to go 3-0 up in the first 5 minutes only for milan to score in the 95th minute. That would make my week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Victor Kassai tonight. Ref from the 2011 CL final and also probably not popular among Estonian fans. :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement