Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bastille

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I read some bad/mediocre reviews too, but I don't care. It's a very good album!

Musical taste (maybe more so than any other medium) is so subjective. Listen to what you enjoy, that's what I say. Check out the Courteeners new album (Anna). Some cracking stuff there that's not a million miles away from Bastille.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Their big song, Pompei, is catchy but i find it wears very thin after a few listens. Weight of living is a better song. I can see why people like the music, but I can't see them lasting. They'll go the same way as MGMT and Foster the People.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

I really love it. Bought it last week and it's safe to say I have fallen hard. So upset their gig is sold out!

I actually prefer Flaws stripped back....

And this version of Pompeii

I might also be slightly in love with the singer :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

God awful stuff. Just terrible. I generally never listen to the radio in the car, I've a pendrive but it needs sime new music on it, so I decided to listen to phantom for a bit. Their song pompeii was on every 30 mins. Had to switch back to the pen drive pretty quickly.

I had a quick listen to the stuff posted here. Pretty much the same song over and over. There's a theory that modern (pop) music has the least variation in melody than at any other time. These plebs are a prime example of that. It boggles the mind how anyone could choose to listen to this over the absolute crap ton of amazing music released over the last while.

The comparison with Mgmt is totally unfair. The 'big' songs from their debut are there because the label wanted them there. They were old songs, but fair enough, they got them attention or whatever. The most interesting stuff on that record is the less obvious. Something they expanded on with the follow up which is really good. It's not as immediate though which put a lot of people off. But there's a great scope of imagination throughout.

Bastille, on the other hand have no imagination at all. Total tripe of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

pinksoir wrote: »
    God awful stuff. Just terrible. I generally never listen to the radio in the car, I've a pendrive but it needs sime new music on it, so I decided to listen to phantom for a bit. Their song pompeii was on every 30 mins. Had to switch back to the pen drive pretty quickly.

I had a quick listen to the stuff posted here. Pretty much the same song over and over. There's a theory that modern (pop) music has the least variation in melody than at any other time. These plebs are a prime example of that. It boggles the mind how anyone could choose to listen to this over the absolute crap ton of amazing music released over the last while.

The comparison with Mgmt is totally unfair. The 'big' songs from their debut are there because the label wanted them there. They were old songs, but fair enough, they got them attention or whatever. The most interesting stuff on that record is the less obvious. Something they expanded on with the follow up which is really good. It's not as immediate though which put a lot of people off. But there's a great scope of imagination throughout.

Bastille, on the other hand have no imagination at all. Total tripe of the highest order.

I absolutely agree with you there, the second album was amazing, but not instantly acessible. I was only making the comparison in terms of thier popularity, they kinda fell off the map. Musucally, I don't think Bastille stand up.

• Advertisement

They did indeed fall off the map, mainly due to their decision to release less accessible/obvious music. I'm excited to see what will come next, provided they're allowed by the label! They were given free reign on the last one and it wasn't a commercial success but at least they had the chance to have a major label release and did it their way, which is a rare thing nowadays. It's a real shame and a reflection of the state of the industry. There was a time that major labels put out amazing stuff. Could you imagine Hounds Of Love being put out today on a major? Now they bank on inane mediocrity.

Only ourselves to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭juicyduckie

I really like Bastille, lyrically they're very clever, easy to listen to, aesthetically pleasing (which is always a plus) and I have tickets to the Academy - wayheyyy :pac:

On that note actually I'm so glad the tickets went on sale way before the album was released, means I won't have to deal with annoying teenage girls who are "massive fans" - I detest the chart bandwagon.

*retreats to my ivory tower of musical superiority*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

jesus they are ****ing ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

My first impression is that I really don't like the singer or his singing voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I think they sound horrible. They sound like the Nizlopi singer found a new band and I just find their music irritating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭mosstin

pinksoir wrote: »

Get of the fecking fence man. Do you like them or not?

Love them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ellie182

I absolutely love them, but their studio versions of songs like Pompeii just make me want to hate them.
    But the talent is definitely there, just listen to their acoustic versions (there's a way better Pompeii one than the one linked above though, think it's Mahogany sessions?).
    I really like the feel of the new album though. I still prefer the older stuff but I definitely still like this.
    They're INCREDIBLE live. If you're going to the Academy show and you've not seen them before then you won't be disappointed. So good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I have to say I really liked their ep's but the Album is terrible. It's just so Dull and the extended version is even more tedious . And like other posters have stated the songs wear thin very quickly.
    My personal Fav is 'Haunt' from the Bad Blood EP but that never made the Album.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Their remix albums are amazing. Lead singer sounds like a male Florence & the Machine. Album I like, but the Pompeii is a bit stale.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭missguided

Bought the extended album, some bad comments here but I think they're amazing. The Abbey Road versions of some songs are brilliant, Flaws especially.
    Daniel in the Den is one of my favourites too. I guess it's all down to taste in music, but I think this album is great :)

They're performing at Indiependence this year by the way, earlybird tickets are on sale now. The tickets for the Academy were gone before I could get them, so thrilled!

This day next week!

SO EXCITED :D

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭roll

i actually thought pompeii was a joke/novelty song when i heard it first... and now they play it on phantom too! just goes to show how far phantom's star has fallen....

Has anyone heard who's supporting tonight and in Belfast on Saturday?

Hudson Taylor are supporting in Dublin tonight as far as I know...not sure about Belfast though!

• Advertisement

Horrendous stuff, really keeps up the usual mainstream indy stuff of the last 15 years of basic, unchallenging melodies that will stick in the mind in a way but could be one of a dozen songs.

Saw them this evening in Mandela Hall in Belfast. They put on an amazing show and are seriously good live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭budgemook

Saw these jokers on Graham Norton there last night. Fairly poor. Not that I was surprised, I'm only posting here to say the singer sounds exactly like the singer from that JCB band Nizlopi. Who rips off Nizlopi?!

budgemook - he sings with his own accent instead of an affected fake American accent, he is from London after all.

They were much better live than on the album, and they put on a brilliant show. One of my favourite gigs ever!

Met them after and they were genuinely nice guys, had a lot of time for the fans.

I was chuffed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭budgemook

budgemook - he sings with his own accent instead of an affected fake American accent, he is from London after all.

They were much better live than on the album, and they put on a brilliant show. One of my favourite gigs ever!

Met them after and they were genuinely nice guys, had a lot of time for the fans.

Who sings with a fake American accent? Anyways I'm sure they're lovely lads, just not my cup of tea and I doubt they'll be of any importance in the medium to long term.

budgemook wrote: »
    Who sings with a fake American accent? Anyways I'm sure they're lovely lads, just not my cup of tea and I doubt they'll be of any importance in the medium to long term.

Yano like Irish and British bands who sing with affected American twangs? Granted I'm referring to mainly Top 40 drivel but that's all I meant. Ah it's nice to have a band to get excited about even if it is only for a little while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gigtown

Bastille doing a few Irish festival dates over the summer. Really hope they go down well live. Pompeii is such an anthem for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

jaysus if Pompeii is anything to go by, I just must be getting old if this is 'good pop music'.

Awful stuff. That weak public school-boy vocal does my head in. Everything about it is just weak. The big 'dramatic' background VOX (the ones that sound like Enya) lines fail miserably in creating what's obviously intended to be an exciting ambiance.

oh jaysus...i should just stop...

each to their own I guess. but for me its a NO! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

fake American accent like The Beatles, The Who etc, yeah stop putting fake american accents and but on a Florence highly accented english accent....... I know which I'd rather ... if you cleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewse your eyes..............yuk :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Probably because they still can't get over the fact that any one listens to their music. They want to milk it while they can.

Advertisement