Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much Square foot start take away ?

Options
  • 12-03-2013 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

I am wondering how much per square foot to fit out a shop for a take away say an American style one like Eddie rockets style, looking for ruff idea Including fitting out kitchen and equipment good second hand would do , also fitting it out interior to a good standard , toilets as there will be seating only a few tho , cameras, and certs for health safety and fire certs, shopfront would need no work is in good condition, any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bob5666 wrote: »
    I am wondering how much per square foot to fit out a shop for a take away
    You can't do it that way. You need to find out the cost of your main equipment, which will probably be half to two thirds of the cost.

You literally need to work out a layout, count how many pieces of equipment (don't forget the ventilation and air conditioning) and furniture you need and how many square metres of floor, wall and ceiling finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bob5666

The floor space I have is 400 square feet and i have to fit the kitchen and seating in all my storage will be upstairs and toilets How much ruffly would need to kit out Kitchen ? I have a figure in my head I'd need say 60k for every thing or would I need more ?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

The floor space I have is 400 square feet and i have to fit the kitchen and seating in all my storage will be upstairs and toilets How much ruffly would need to kit out Kitchen ? I have a figure in my head I'd need say 60k for every thing or would I need more ?

You need to calculate about €150 per square foot for new equipment build from shell and core.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You need to calculate about €150 per square foot for new equipment build from shell and core.
    That is utterly meaningless when a ice cream/milkshake machine or a flat grill could cost €10,000-20,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

It seems you dont understand much about fitting out a retail premises Victor. In the main, there's a rule of thumb for different businesses. The last time I did a full build and fit for a convenience store, it was £100 per foot for the build and another £100 per foot for the interior. That interior cost was for everything from cash registers to counters to ovens and computer systems. It also included tiling, lighting, ceilings, doors etc. up to franchise specifications. It was an industry average which applied whether the store was 1000 sq.ft or 3000 sq.ft.

BTW, I believe YellowSheep is in that very business.

• Advertisement

Thanks DubTony

Yes I am in this business and have opened over 20 restaurants. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cateringfittings/3992525

Could be worth ringing that guy, he did that not so long ago.

That would be a fantastic restaurant and very busy if it wasn't literally 50 feet too far up one street.

Yellowsheep is that 150 square foot everything finished cash registers to counters to ovens and computer systems. tiling, lighting, ceilings, doors etc. ?

Yellowsheep is that 150but square foot everything finished cash registers to counters to ovens and computer systems. tiling, lighting, ceilings, doors etc. ?

Yes. I full service restaurant is around €195, but a take away is cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Post removed.

• Advertisement

Fries with that I was thinking having special needs toilets downstairs . I was looking at the floor plan again I have about 450 square foot it will be tight but I only plan to have small seating area .My budget seems small alright Id say ill need another 20 k .

What sort of profit margin would take ways work too ?
    What sort of profit or turnover would you be looking for to make it worth while ?

Fries with that I was thinking having special needs toilets downstairs . I was looking at the floor plan again I have about 450 square foot it will be tight but I only plan to have small seating area .My budget seems small alright Id say ill need another 20 k .

What sort of profit or turnover would you be looking for to make it worth while ?
    This all depends. Location, offering etc. Where do you want to open? If it's around Dublin I will meet you too give you a general idea. Sent me your email and I sent you a template to generate this info.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Just to add my two cents, TGI's and Eddie's have that 'Americano' theme sown up in my eyes. Then the likes of 'Gourmet Burger', 'The Counter' and 'Aussie BBQ' have the other niche end. In Dublin at least I don't see a market for it.

Maybe down the country you could do well but only in a large city. Where are you based OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Sorry Bob5666

I deleted my post because I felt the points made by other posters were more accurate in todays market.

If you keep the seating under a certain number (14 I think) you can avoid having toilets open to the public, but it would always be good business to have a toilet available for customers.

You could fit in a single toilet that was big enough for special needs usage and also have it as a customer request toilet.

I think your sq footage is small for an American style diner.

I have an idea for totally different type of fast food outlet that is not being done here in Ireland, and knowing the Irish market it could be a huge success.
    I would love to exploit the idea but my last place closed leaving me seriously out of pocket.

A previous poster posted a link to a place for sale on donedeal and he indicated that it was just 50 feet too far up the street to take advantage of the heavy volume of footfall, well trust me if you're located 10 feet in the wrong direction for the audience you're trying to target you're onto a loser.

How much you earn and how much profit is in the business is not something I'd going to suggest to you, but I will say you should be prepared to work long hours, pay yourself a wage and keep on top of daily waste and excessive portion size and you should be able to make a good living.

Take a look at this information sheet from Westmeath enterprise board the rates of pay and such are outdated but the general information is a good starting point for someone in your position.

Pmmed the link as I can't make it smaller.

Best of luck

This all depends. Location, offering etc. Where do you want to open? If it's around Dublin I will meet you too give you a general idea. Sent me your email and I sent you a template to generate this info.
    I was think of setting up in a town in Donegal about 10000 people

ironclaw wrote: »
    Just to add my two cents, TGI's and Eddie's have that 'Americano' theme sown up in my eyes. Then the likes of 'Gourmet Burger', 'The Counter' and 'Aussie BBQ' have the other niche end. In Dublin at least I don't see a market for it.

Maybe down the country you could do well but only in a large city. Where are you based OP?

I am based in a town in Donegal about 10000 people

Sorry Bob5666

I think your sq footage is small for an American style diner.

I have an idea for totally different type of fast food outlet that is not being done here in Ireland, and knowing the Irish market it could be a huge success.
    I would love to exploit the idea but my last place closed leaving me seriously out of pocket.

Best of luck

I am only playing wit the idea of American style diner . The place where i am looking setup is in small town in Donegal I am starting to think towards traditional Fish and Chip shop might be a saver bet but there is a few of them in the town already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I don't mean to rain on your parade OP as it sounds like you have the makings of a good idea here.

But a town of 10,000 sounds rather small for an operation like this. You've also got to think that restaurants anywhere are dependent on disposal income and Donegal has some of the highest unemployment in Ireland right now- I believe that one in every three of under 25's up there are unemployed according to CSO stats. U-25s would be part of your target market so if 30%-33% of them are living on €100 a week (or whatever the reduced dole is for U-25's) then establishing a restaurant in a town like that sounds like it could be a big struggle. If it is Letterkenny at least you have the local college which might be a boost but if it is Donegal town then it could be difficult.

I know from living in Donegal that people travel far and wide to go to nightclubs and this could be a help to you. But to be honest there must be better provincal towns in the west with a 20k+ population to establish something like this. You know your market much better than I do but setting up a restaurant business in an unemployment blacksopt is going to be very tough to make a quid IMO.

RATM wrote: »
    I don't mean to rain on your parade OP as it sounds like you have the makings of a good idea here.

But a town of 10,000 sounds rather small for an operation like this. You've also got to think that restaurants anywhere are dependent on disposal income and Donegal has some of the highest unemployment in Ireland right now- I believe that one in every three of under 25's up there are unemployed according to CSO stats. U-25s would be part of your target market so if 30%-33% of them are living on €100 a week (or whatever the reduced dole is for U-25's) then establishing a restaurant in a town like that sounds like it could be a big struggle. If it is Letterkenny at least you have the local college which might be a boost but if it is Donegal town then it could be difficult.

I know from living in Donegal that people travel far and wide to go to nightclubs and this could be a help to you. But to be honest there must be better provincal towns in the west with a 20k+ population to establish something like this. You know your market much better than I do but setting up a restaurant business in an unemployment blacksopt is going to be very tough to make a quid IMO.

I know from working in an other take away in my town they turn over 10000 euro a week its a traditional take away to and where I can setup is better position than them . I am just wondering how much profit would a well run traditional take away make after a turnover of 10000 I will have no rent to pay and my rates are 4000 a year I would think all my other costs would be the same in any other take away of a traditional style and help would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

I know from working in an other take away in my town they turn over 10000 euro a week its a traditional take away to and where I can setup is better position than them . I am just wondering how much profit would a well run traditional take away make after a turnover of 10000 I will have no rent to pay and my rates are 4000 a year I would think all my other costs would be the same in any other take away of a traditional style and help would be great

You can expect to make anywhere from 10-25% depending on how high your overheads are, how many staff you need and how cheap you can get your product, without skimping on quality.

Be innovative and you can expect to gain another few points on top of that- if you are competing in a saturated market place you're going to need to be towards the lower end of that scale in order to remain competitive. Can you really see yourself working up to 100 hours a week to come out with €1000 before tax? (and thats if you are as sucessful as your previous employer - who most likely have built up years of loyalty and goodwill in the town)

I'm not trying to put you off - just being realistic the restaurant business is extremely tough in Ireland and costs are rising year on year with customers still expecting to pay the same prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

€10,000 per week is not much to be honest. Sounds like a load of cash but when you break it down as the other posters said, how much of that is profit?

If you have 4 staff, at €7 per hour, for 8 hours, 7 days per week, thats about €1600 gone. Leaves you €8400 to buy in product, pay rates, overheads, certification etc. Not much if you ask me. And a fair chunk of that €10k is going to the tax man to start with.

Also in a town of 10,000 how many are going to buy take away regularly? Say you got 200 people per day for 7 days, not impossible, you'd need to be getting €7+ off each and every one to put €10k through the til for the week.

Line seems a little thin to me personally.

ironclaw wrote: »
    €10,000 per week is not much to be honest. Sounds like a load of cash but when you break it down as the other posters said, how much of that is profit?

If you have 4 staff, at €7 per hour, for 8 hours, 7 days per week, thats about €1600 gone. Leaves you €8400 to buy in product, pay rates, overheads, certification etc. Not much if you ask me. And a fair chunk of that €10k is going to the tax man to start with.

Also in a town of 10,000 how many are going to buy take away regularly? Say you got 200 people per day for 7 days, not impossible, you'd need to be getting €7+ off each and every one to put €10k through the til for the week.

Most of your costs there like staff and food are cost which are relative to how busy you are you are hoping that you need even 8 staff that means your busy and foods the same more food more profit

10000 is not bad for a small town in Donegal even if i was only getting 10 percent of that it would be a 1000 a week but im sure from chatting to other people my profit margin would be around 20 per cent no problem 2 grand a week not pay for a weeks work in Donegal

Advertisement