Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Papal Conclave - Place Your Bets!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Round 1, and the smoke is black. Non habemus papam.

Something about this whole process keeps making me think of cats in boxes. What will we find when we unlock the doors?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

darjeeling wrote: »
    Round 1, and the smoke is black. Non habemus papam.

Something about this whole process keeps making me think of cats in boxes. What will we find when we unlock the doors?

Zombie kittens : The only way the cat can be technically alive but also dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Jernal wrote: »

"Technically, a cat locked in a box may be alive or it may be dead. You never know until you look. In fact, the mere act of opening the box will determine the state of the cat, although in this case there were three determinate states the cat could be in: these being Alive, Dead, and Bloody Furious".

PTerry - Greebo as Schroedinger's Cat

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone (Italy)
    Round 1, and the smoke is black. Non habemus papam
    Smoke released around the same time as coverage of Milan v Barca was starting.

Coincidence? I don't think so. I definitely saw some black and red going in there this morning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Do have a quantum pope at the moment ? The next guy is (almost certainly) one of the cardinals whom we know, but not which one -- so does this mean that our knowledge exist in a superposition of states? I'm uncertain.

Anyhow, here's a video which explains how to become pope:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

robindch wrote: »
    Do have a quantum pope at the moment ?

A Quantum Pope! :eek: Waking up being trapped in the pope.......... But mass gains a catchy theme tune.

robindch wrote: »
    Do have a quantum pope at the moment ?

I thought that was Deepak Chopra?

Dades wrote: »
    Smoke released around the same time as coverage of Milan v Barca was starting.

Coincidence? I don't think so. I definitely saw some black and red going in there this morning.

Every time there's been a Conclave and Barca are playing, Barca won 4-0. First God fires Benny and now He show's his blatant support for the Catalans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Cardinal Sean O'Malley (United States)
    Going to back the Canadian Ouellet when the bookies open in the morning @ 8-1

Because , I dont think it will be an Italian this time .

Even though Scherer is Brazillian , he is also German - so he would be too controversial .

Not going to be black pope for another 100 years at least .

American pope would be controversial as well - me thinks .

So its the Canadian Ouellet for me , even though I think he is too old @ 68 - he looks the part

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Father Jack (Craggy Island)
    It will probably go to an Italian, got to keep the power base close to home. Cant see them selecting a colored pope. I would go with Cardinal Christoph Schonborn as a good outsider.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

John Waters (Craggier Island)
    Day 2 of the Pope Factor, and Cardinal Mahony feels his chance has gone from slim to none....
    The Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles is to pay out nearly $10m (£6.7m) to settle four cases of sexual abuse by a former priest, Father Michael Baker.
    Recently released files show Cardinal Roger Mahony knew the priest had abused but put him back into ministry, where he is alleged to have abused again.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21765850

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

I thought that was Deepak Chopra?

Quantum pope, not hack with no understanding of the word quantum, who has also said science "stole" the word from him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Lionel Messi must be very short odds now!

papal-feud.jpg

Scola 0, Sistach 4. The Lord moves in mysterious ways - or perhaps I just don't understand the offside rule.

The Magic Chimney speaks again! Pope? Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Cardinal Marc Ouellet (Canada)

I suppose a tragic carbon monoxide accident is too much to hope for :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Dana (Norn Iron)
    The problem is, along with 115 men whom some of us will be glad to see the back of, there's the small matter of the catering staff inside too.

The problem is, along with 115 men whom some of us will be glad to see the back of, there's the small matter of the catering staff inside too.

A tragic mass food poisoning incident?

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

If Cardinal Peter Turkson is made the next pope then go buy canned goods and plenty of them.

According to the Papal prophecies of St.Malachi the last Pope before the end of the world will be a 'Peter'.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,574 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If Cardinal Peter Turkson is made the next pope then go buy canned goods and plenty of them.

According to the Papal prophecies of St.Malachi the last Pope before the end of the world will be a 'Peter'.

The prophecy could also mean any new Pope could take the Peter as his Papal name (eg. Pope Peter VIII), which means it could still relate to any of them.

I'm buying canned goods anyway. Not because of the prophecy, I just really like tinned peaches.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Penn wrote: »
    I'm buying canned goods anyway. Not because of the prophecy, I just really like tinned peaches.
    Moving to the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Cardinal Sean O'Malley (United States)

And i think of the 115 - there are 28 Italians .

The voting system must be proportional representation like here

• Registered Users Posts: 33,574 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Dades wrote: »
    Moving to the country?

I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light technology until I was already a man... by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING!

[/Bane]

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I suppose a tragic carbon monoxide accident is too much to hope for :(

Aww - that would spoil all the entertainment.

Where I come from, they do things much more boringly. A bunch of decent chaps pick a couple of names, and the Prime Minister then chooses the one who went to the same school as him. The chap who gets the job makes a show of his independence, saying, 'Look, Dave, don't take this the wrong way, but you're a callous child-murdering bastard.' Then everything goes on as before.

The RCC's chimneys, frocks and skulduggery are much more fun - provided you aren't forced to live under their rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Cardinal Atari Jaguar (Yore Ma)
    Even though Scherer is Brazillian , he is also German - so he would be too controversial .

An old German living in Brazil, eh? Well that isn't suggestive at all.

Sarky wrote: »
    An old German living in Brazil, eh? Well that isn't suggestive at all.

What on Earth do you mean?

On a completely unrelated topic - anyone remember this film?

MV5BMjEwNTQ3MDUxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTg2ODkxMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    What on Earth do you mean?

On a completely unrelated topic - anyone remember this film?

MV5BMjEwNTQ3MDUxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTg2ODkxMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

Can't see image? Is it X-men: First Class? :D

Can't see image? Is it X-men: First Class? :D

Close...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Does this thread include what name he will take? Peregrin the 1st?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Advertisement