Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a WP8 from Amazon.co.uk

Options
  • 12-03-2013 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

I'm in the market for a new phone, and seeing as I've had plenty of experience with Android thanks to my tablet and phone, I thought I'd try something different.

Seeing as I'm not mad about iOS, I have my sights set on WP8. Amazon have a Nokia Lumia 820 for £370 and I'm waiting on a quote on that price from Flubit.

The phone is sim-free but my question is, if I were to buy that, would I run into any issues using it over here? Could I just pop my current sim into the phone and begin using it from the word go, or are there hurdles to overcome?

Would I need a new sim altogether?

And what's the Lumia 820 like? I've only heard great things about the Lumia range. Would I be better off spending the extra 100 bob and getting a Lumia 920?

Thanks for any and all help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It'll work just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

Sound, thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Do you know if that seller even sends to Ireland? Amazon.co.uk does, but that seller is not Amazon.

And also, at that price, I don't know if the 820 makes sense. Seems mental not getting a flagship model at that money. HTC 8X might make more sense. That's what I'm using at the minute.

Do you know if that seller even sends to Ireland? Amazon.co.uk does, but that seller is not Amazon.

And also, at that price, I don't know if the 820 makes sense. Seems mental not getting a flagship model at that money. HTC 8X might make more sense. That's what I'm using at the minute.
    Regardless of whether he ships to IE, I could just use Parcel Motel so I'm not worried on that front.

As for the price; is that not pretty good(£345 now)? Cheapest I can see from an Irish retailer is €420.
    HTC 8X is the same price, would that be a better phone? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to WP, so I just know what I've read off the web :p .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I haven't seen the 820, but I have held and used the 8x and it is really a lovely piece of kit. Aesthetics and form-wise I'd pick the HTC, but for stuff like exclusive Nokia apps (Nokia drive might be available on all WP8 phones now though) and Wireless charging capability I'd go for the 820.

• Advertisement

Truly, I am now torn. :(
    Anyone else with experience of either phone, feel free to chime in.
    -
    And btw, 8X is £345 (€400) on Amazon and €520 on CarPhoneWareHouse.ie.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

They have both in Vodafone on Grafton St if you wanted to pop in and try them out.

I've had a quick play with the 8X in there and it's a lovely phone, feels really good in your hand, has a stunning screen, it's very quick and responsive, camera seems to be great and is very nice all round.

Nokia do have their exclusive apps though and are putting a lot more effort into supporting WP8 devices so it's hard to look away from them.

I think you'd be happy with either tbh, but if you can, go in and try them for yourself.

Thanks.
    There's a Car Phone Warehouse near work so I may give it a shot when I get the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,485 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

balfe1990 wrote: »
    And what's the Lumia 820 like? I've only heard great things about the Lumia range. Would I be better off spending the extra 100 bob and getting a Lumia 920?

820 is a fine phone, but I would spend the extra €100 for the far superior screen resolution of the 920 alone

I've the 820 myself, if you're still considering buying it for €400 you might consider doing what I did, bill pay with Meteor: €49 for the phone plus €25 per month for 18 months. That's a total of €499, so net €99 for 18 months of smart phone use and nearly no money up front :)

(That's a light package that suits me well: 200mins / 200txts / 1GB data)

stevenmu wrote: »
    I've had a quick play with the 8X in there and it's a lovely phone, feels really good in your hand, has a stunning screen, it's very quick and responsive

8X, 820 and 920 all have the same processor, a dual-core 1.5 GHz Krait

I too find the 820 very responsive / fast :)

• Advertisement

Nah, it'll have to be PAYG. Going on a contract is nice in theorey but frankly, I don't trust myself.
    I'd lose the thing or break it within the first couple of months and then I'd be locked into paying for something I don't even own. :o

That doesn't make sense. Unless you're spending less than €5 per month on PAYG :)

Advertisement