Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB - overdraft query

Options
  • 12-03-2013 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭

:mad::mad:

Really peed off with these guys. I opened an account with them in September as a student. They advertised and promoted a guaranteed unsecured interest free overdraft of €1500. (There were terms and conditions of course)
    When I got the documentation it said up to €1500. Needless to say I didn't move banks. I was curious to see what the story is. I have a larger overdraft facility with bank of Ireland and would have moved my account to AIB. I got around to investigating this and was told that they were only offering an overdraft of €600 euro. Anything over that I need a guarantor. What kind of hogwash is that. I have paid back every loan I ever had on time. I pay my credit card on time every month.
    ~From what I can tell they don't give a flying monkeys about your credit history they are just looking to get another customer on their books, asking for a guarantor. I am disgusted by the way they are doing business. Why I am being punished because they took on stupid loan. More importantly stop making promises you can't keep. Hope my memory serves me correctly and there is an AIB spokesperson here on boards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

AIB don't have an official presence on boards.ie

"Up to" does not equal a guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

BuffyBot wrote: »
    AIB don't have an official presence on boards.ie

"Up to" does not equal a guarantee.

That is my point exactly. I promised an overdraft to the amount of €1500.
    I was told this was guaranteed when this was not the case.
    Might I ask why I thread title was changed. Is it like the MCD nonsense. Are we not allowed to talk about the banks in any kind of a negative way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

That is my point exactly. I promised an overdraft to the amount of €1500.
    I was told this was guaranteed when this was not the case.
    Might I ask why I thread title was changed. Is it like the MCD nonsense. Are we not allowed to talk about the banks in any kind of a negative way.

They advertised overdraft up to €1500. They didnt guarantee you would get it. They advertise it with terms and you didnt meet the terms. Also a good credit rating is good but overdrafts are high risk and having one is a signal of poor finances and thus they have different criteria to be looked at.

Possibly when you were told you could get €1500 guaranteed as say that this is litterally €1500 guaranteed by someone else.

Either way better off not having an overdraft. Bad things to get into. Even if interest free they do not promote good financial sense. They are offering if interest free in the hope you continue to use it with interest when promotion ends.

chris85 wrote: »
    They advertised overdraft up to €1500. They didnt guarantee you would get it. They advertise it with terms and you didnt meet the terms. Also a good credit rating is good but overdrafts are high risk and having one is a signal of poor finances and thus they have different criteria to be looked at.

Possibly when you were told you could get €1500 guaranteed as say that this is litterally €1500 guaranteed by someone else.

Either way better off not having an overdraft. Bad things to get into. Even if interest free they do not promote good financial sense. They are offering if interest free in the hope you continue to use it with interest when promotion ends.

Listen you don't know what was promised to me unless you crawled inside my eyes and ears sometime before September last year in which case you would know that I was guaranteed that overdraft. The clue is in the word "Guaranteed" (made it bold for you). The terms and conditions I was referring to were keep you account in credit for 30 consecutive days in the year to avail of the said overdraft. I accepted all of this and it was explained to me. However let me restate this one more time. I was told that the €1500 overdraft was "Guaranteed" Ihave had an overdraft with my current bank for over 10 years and have used it responsibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Bring your proof that you opened the account based on the offer of the overdraft and if they refuse close the account and report the ad / booklet to the ASAI.

asai.ie

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

Has your situation changed unemployment/loans etc wise since they promised it to you?
    The 1500 could not have been guaranteed for life. Not a chance.

joetoad wrote: »
    Has your situation changed unemployment/loans etc wise since they promised it to you?
    The 1500 could not have been guaranteed for life. Not a chance.

Guaranteed as long as I was an undergraduate and stayed in credit for 30 consecutive days in a year.

Theres nothing really you can do. Banks can stop overdrawls at anytime they want. Friend of mine had one for 2k and in a good paying job and was told as long he was employed it would stay but they cancelled it all of a sudden because they had new measures in place and gave him one for 800, things like this happen.

They also did keep there word about the 1500, but you need a co-signer which if you read through the terms and conditions which were available on the website you might see that you are not automatically entitled to it. Every student in the country would have switching

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Listen you don't know what was promised to me unless you crawled inside my eyes and ears sometime before September last year in which case you would know that I was guaranteed that overdraft. The clue is in the word "Guaranteed" (made it bold for you). The terms and conditions I was referring to were keep you account in credit for 30 consecutive days in the year to avail of the said overdraft. I accepted all of this and it was explained to me. However let me restate this one more time. I was told that the €1500 overdraft was "Guaranteed" Ihave had an overdraft with my current bank for over 10 years and have used it responsibly.

Right you are one of "them" people who starts a response with listen to emphasize a condescending tone.. It all makes sense now. Good luck to you!

Listen..

How about you stop, look and listen to the forum charter.

Keep it civil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

What leaflet did it guarantee the overdraft in? Or was it just said by an employee.

I have a overdraft with AIB for €1500 on my student account but everywhere I saw it advertised was up to €1,500 and a guarantee may be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Any ad I ever saw was up to €1500. They gave me €600 as a student.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Get off your high horse greenmachine cocky people like you drive me mad if you look at the website it says IF you apply and are APPROVED, and why do you need 2 overdrafts no wonder the country is the way it is with likes of you getting overdrafts in different banks and thinking you have a devine right to it.

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    Get off your high horse greenmachine cocky people like you drive me mad if you look at the website it says IF you apply and are APPROVED, and why do you need 2 overdrafts no wonder the country is the way it is with likes of you getting overdrafts in different banks and thinking you have a devine right to it.

Criticise the post not the poster. I am exactly the type of person who has lived within my means and barely used the overdraft I have had in place for over ten years. Not that it is any of your business but I would have changed banks for this.

So your annoyed that a bank wouldn't give you 1500 euro with no source of outcome hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Am I missing something here? This thread makes no sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

As stated in the original post, terms and conditions applied to this offer. A condition was to have anything above 600 euro guaranteed by someone suitable to AIB.

Lending is discretionary and I can confirm this has been a matter of course since as far back as 2008, before the bust and possibly further.

dublin daz wrote: »
    As stated in the original post, terms and conditions applied to this offer. A condition was to have anything above 600 euro guaranteed by someone suitable to AIB.

Lending is discretionary and I can confirm this has been a matter of course since as far back as 2008, before the bust and possibly further.

Yawn. Not this again. What was promised in person was different than what was actually being offered on paper. Trust me on this the bank were promoting the offer on campus back in September for a week. I was told everyone who would sign up was being offered the said overdraft. In any case there is no official rep for the bank on the forum no discussing it is probably redundant.

I'd strongly suggest that unless you're willing to countenance opinions that differ from yours and offer more than dismissive "yawns" and other inappropriate bon mots, refrain from posting along those lines again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement