Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the right dog with kids????

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 amyjtyrrell

iPearly wrote: »

Got bubbles (my son named her) when she was 12 weeks old I think. No problem with separation anxiety just a few cries
    the first night. House trained on a nappy within a week. Really really easy. All they want is play in return.
    Good luck
    Photo attached-when she was a baby

Aaahhh she is gorgeous :)

[
    Quote=iPearly;83692684]

Got bubbles (my son named her) when she was 12 weeks old I think. No problem with separation anxiety just a few cries
    the first night. House trained on a nappy within a week. Really really easy. All they want is play in return.
    Good luck
    Photo attached-when she was a baby[/Quote]
    Aaahhh he is so cute and exactly what we are looking for :-)

Just an update

We went to dogs trust today and the little fella absolutely loved it. He has been going around on his knees all day barking!!!!

We talked to two of the lovely people working there and they said that they would not allow us to take one of the older dogs even of we wanted to with a small baby.

They said a puppy would be much more suiyable.

Unfortunately all of their puppies today are bigger breeds but they told us to ring at least twice a week to see of they have a smaller breed available.

We have decided to defiently get a dog from a rescue centre after seen the dogs today. It really is heart breaking to see that people haveustreated these animals so it just feels write to help one rather than buy one even if it does take longer to get the dog that fits our family.

Thanks again for all of the advice as a clueless soon to be dog owner it really helped!!!!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

We talked to two of the lovely people working there and they said that they would not allow us to take one of the older dogs even of we wanted to with a small baby.

I've heard of this policy before, and I have to say, it is a policy that behaviourists and trainers fundamentally disagree with. I think a puppy with a tiny human is ill-advised, especially with inexperienced owners, to put it mildly.
    I cannot understand what the problem is with putting a tried and tested young adult, or even slightly older adult dog who has proved itself good with babies and toddlers. This is what most other rescues do! Then again, the rescue you went to doesn't do a fostering scheme, and as such are not in a position to tell you what any of their dogs are like with children. I have to say, were I in your position, I'd be going for a dog that has been fostered, and therefore pretty thoroughly assessed in a home environment with children etc, not a dog that has spent its time in rescue in a kennel environment, albeit a nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Just an update

We went to dogs trust today and the little fella absolutely loved it. He has been going around on his knees all day barking!!!!

They said a puppy would be much more suiyable.

Unfortunately all of their puppies today are bigger breeds but they told us to ring at least twice a week to see of they have a smaller breed available.

We have decided to defiently get a dog from a rescue centre after seen the dogs today. It really is heart breaking to see that people haveustreated these animals so it just feels write to help one rather than buy one even if it does take longer to get the dog that fits our family.

Thanks again for all of the advice as a clueless soon to be dog owner it really helped!!!!!!

That is really great news. That has actually made me happy. I wish you and your family the very best with your new addition when it comes. Too many unwanted, unloved and abandoned dogs, but soon one less. :):):):):):)

• Advertisement
Advertisement