Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB card stolen and lost money

Options
  • 12-03-2013 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi There,

My story follows: I was to receive a new card as the replacement of my old Laser, but somebody caught both mails containing the PIN and the card and used it to take all my money. I blocked the card by AIB and was told that the fraud dept. will investigate, my questions:
    - how long does it take to get an answer on the investigation?
    - is it possible to get back the money I lost?
    - how is it possible that the PIN and a card arrived within 2 days after the bank's notification of replacement, as I was told that I'd take a week and there should be at least 2 days of delay between them?
    - I checked my post 2 times a day but could I be blamed for not doing enough?

Thanks for any comments,
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Have you asked AIB? They are the only ones who could advise you here.

They took all of your money? How long was it before you notified them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 danny6789

Hi,
    Yes I asked them but they just said that they need to investigate and was curios if anybody had experience how long it takes and what the chances are getting back money. They got all the available funds in 2 transactions, I noticed that after 1 day.

just reading
    If my card has been stolen, am I liable for the purchases made on it by the thief?

The 'Code of Best Practice of the European Banking Debit Payments Industry on Card-Based Payments' states that the maximum a cardholder can be held liable for transactions on a lost/stolen card that they have reported is €150. In reality, the actual amount payable by the cardholder will depend on the bank and the circumstances of the situation. If a card is lost or stolen but the cardholder does not report it, then the cardholder may be liable to pay a greater amount.

You need to get talking to someone in your branch to see what they say..fast..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

just reading

You need to get talking to someone in your branch to see what they say..fast..

I would imagine that would refer to a card being in the cardholder's possession, being subsequently stolen and then not being reported by the cardholder. In a case of the card being intercepted en route to the cardholder from the bank, it would likely be a very different story.

I would imagine that would refer to a card being in the cardholder's possession, being subsequently stolen and then not being reported by the cardholder. In a case of the card being intercepted en route to the cardholder from the bank, it would likely be a very different story.

Hmm...good point...I guess that it cant be persons fault if they never received it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Pritha12

Hello,
    I have lost €13,436 after loosing the debit card. Someone made 8 transactions and took all the money. Couldn't realize that the card is stolen until 2 days. Bank said that they are investigating but there is less chance to get my money back. How could I get the money back? That's all I had. It's been 2 months and they are still investigating. The thief made online transactions and only 2days they got to transfer all the money; and the bank can't stop the online transactions.. This is how it works??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Not being smart, but why did you have such a large amount just sitting in your current account? Any fraud on the account at all and you were going to be wiped clean.

Advertisement