Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scrap the Irish Language Commissioner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

€30 million is a modest amount! Have a look at how much money RTÉ spend and for what? Or a commercial station like TV3? If it wasn't for Vincent Browne the station would be completely unwatchable. TG4 are running a television service that is available through out the island and creating a lot of quality employment by doing so. The money is not wasted.

The fact that the television service is provided in Irish is secondary to providing a television service to the entire community.

But if you weren't attacking TG4 you'd be attacking road signs. Haters gotta hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Coles wrote: »
    €30 million is a modest amount! Have a look at how much money RTÉ spend and for what? Or a commercial station like TV3? If it wasn't for Vincent Browne the station would be completely unwatchable. TG4 are running a television service that is available through out the island and creating a lot of quality employment by doing so. The money is not wasted.

The fact that the television service is provided in Irish is secondary to providing a television service to the entire community.

But if you weren't attacking TG4 you'd be attacking road signs. Haters gotta hate.

RTE and TG$ should both be scrapped. There is no justification for state television in this day and age.

And as for the constitution, they need to rewrite the whole thing. Yes if Irish is compulsary and in the constitution as the first language, than the state should back that up. Obviously they cant back that up, so it should be removed as the first language and no longer made compulsary.

I never got why Irish people pay their tv license, sometimes it looks like the whole country has stockholm syndrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I never got why Irish people pay their tv license, sometimes it looks like the whole country has stockholm syndrome.

It's being changed (or has it already been done?) to the 'Broadcasting charge' which is mandatory for every household whether you have a tv or not. It's their way of harvesting tax money from everyone. A lot of people didn't replace their tv when it all went digital, others ditched it long ago for the interwebs (myself included).

Broadcast tv is a sinking ship. Why have someone dictate when you watch if you can just stream or download whenever you feel like it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Coles i find it interesting you are constantly posting your own graphics as fact without linking any source for them, if your gonna post statistics either post them from the source or make up your lovely little pictures if it keeps you happy and post them and the source, also simply saying "its all available from such and such" is not good enough if you post information the onus is on you to provide the proof of its accuracy as you have so rightly asked others to do in this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    In your head, maybe. Certainly not in any constitutional mind or paper.

No, Actually the superior position of the Irish language in the constitution has been referenced in more than one Supreme Court judgement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

€30 million is a modest amount!
    We're making progress. Earlier you avoided that. So now you admit you were wrong about their funding breakdown? Unlikely, but like I said hope springs...
    Have a look at how much money RTÉ spend and for what?
    An accusation one could level at TG4.
    Or a commercial station like TV3? If it wasn't for Vincent Browne the station would be completely unwatchable.
    TV3 are commercial, that's the point. They don't require a red cent from the exchequer's purse to operate so I don't see how they're part of the debate.
    TG4 are running a television service that is available through out the island and creating a lot of quality employment by doing so. The money is not wasted.
    Two percent market share. Switch off the subtitles and see how that would drop.
    Not according to their own remit. In writing. To suggest TG4 is just another broadcaster that just happens to be in Irish is beyond daft.
    Misdirection again. I never mentioned road signs. Personally have no great issue with them, though would regard them as yet another example of cultural window dressing as the vast majority of Irish people will absorb the english part of the sign.
    An Coilean wrote:
    No, Actually the superior position of the Irish language in the constitution has been referenced in more than one Supreme Court judgement.
    Indeed it has AC, but it proves nothing, or has little impact on the ground. As 9959 noted there is a diff between de jure and de facto. I mean the same constitution has a lot of religious(and catholic in tone and origin) wording in it too, yet this nation is increasingly agnostic and certainly retreating from catholicism. If we were to take our constitution as a guide we'd be daily communicants.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

Wibbs wrote: »
    W
    Indeed it has AC, but it proves nothing, or has little impact on the ground. As 9959 noted there is a diff between de jure and de facto. I mean the same constitution has a lot of religious(and catholic in tone and origin) wording in it too, yet this nation is increasingly agnostic and certainly retreating from catholicism. If we were to take our constitution as a guide we'd be daily communicants.

''In my view this has lead to a situastion where only a person of unusual independance will attempt to conduct his or her legal business through the medium of Irish.....
    I can only say that this situation is an offence to the letter and spirit of the constitution''

''It is my opinion that it is not possible (at least in the absence of law of the type envisaged in Article 8.3) to exclude Irish, which is the national language and at the same time the first official language of the State, from any part of the public discourse of the nation or from any official business of the State or from the official business of any of its members. Nor is it possible in these contexts to treat it in a manner which is less favourable than the way in which the second official language is treated. Neither is it possible to prevent those who are capable and desirous of using Irish in making their case or in communicating from so doing or to disadvantage them when so doing in any national or official context''.

The case this comes from vindicated the Right of Irish speakers to be tried through Irish and have the necessary materials provided to them through Irish, it also formed the incentive for the OLA to be passed which set up the Office of an Coimisinéir Teanga. It can actually have quite a bit of impact on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here think that third level institutions, being public bodies, should be required to offer all courses through Irish? Is it within someone's rights to require that all staff have a working knowledge of Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

This is deeply depressing. We've been discussing the Irish Language and the role of the Irish Language Commissioner for 700 posts and you don't understand the constitutional position of the Irish language? Oh dear Jesus.
    Yes we do: the constitutional position is absurd, an irrational denial of reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

kowloon wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone here think that third level institutions, being public bodies, should be required to offer all courses through Irish? Is it within someone's rights to require that all staff have a working knowledge of Irish?
    They wouldn't be able to facilitate the request. Simply put.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

opti0nal wrote: »
    Yes we do: the constitutional position is absurd, an irrational denial of reality.
    The Constitutional position is reality. And it's not going to change. Certainly not when you see the numbers who are learning the Irish language to such a high standard.

And I have already given the source for all the data for my charts. It is entirely accurate, but if any of you don't believe me I will happily supply a link. Just ask. Nicely.:)

The Constitutional position is reality. And it's not going to change. Certainly not when you see the numbers who are learning the Irish language to such a high standard.

And I have already given the source for all the data for my charts. It is entirely accurate, but if any of you don't believe me I will happily supply a link. Just ask. Nicely.:)
    It obviously isn't reality when there's only 150k fluent speakers in the country* or approximately 2.34% of the population of the island.

*Figure supplied by An Coilean, I still think it's a big high but she was able to back up her figures so I'm happy to go along with it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    They wouldn't be able to facilitate the request. Simply put.
    Why not? I mean most of the lecturers and admin staff would have gone through the Irish education system learning Irish... Oh wait... yea bit of a problem there alright. Plus they're all thick chavs with attittude problems so no joy there.
    It obviously isn't reality when there's only 150k fluent speakers in the country* or approximately 2.34% of the population of the island.
    Indeed, but god forbid that gets in the way of the augmented reality among some in the pro Irish language camp(watch the census figures make another appearance). If there are that amount of fluent speakers then fair play, but at that level it's very much a niche language and nowhere close to our "first language". The example AC gave earlier of Welsh never got down to that level and even then they were crying "extinction" with much better fluency numbers. Like I said though I don't buy the Irish is dying stuff. It may grow a little, it may decline a little but I'd put good money down that in 20 years time it'll be around that percentage figure still.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The only thing to do is give all of that 2.34 per cent of the population jobs as Guards.

Why not? I mean most of the lecturers and admin staff would have gone through the Irish education system learning Irish... Oh wait... yea bit of a problem there alright. Plus they're all thick chavs with attittude problems so no joy there.
    It's ok Wibbs I know what do do. We just hire twice as many lecturers flaunt in irish (at a premium of course) and double the number of lecture theaters in every college in the county. That will let Irish speakers be educated in Irish. After all it's their right. Not the Poles though, apparently they can go fuck themselves. :rolleyes:

Indeed, but god forbid that gets in the way of the augmented reality among some in the pro Irish language camp(watch the census figures make another appearance). If there are that amount of fluent speakers then fair play, but at that level it's very much a niche language and nowhere close to our "first language". The example AC gave earlier of Welsh never got down to that level and even then they were crying "extinction" with much better fluency numbers. Like I said though I don't buy the Irish is dying stuff. It may grow a little, it may decline a little but I'd put good money down that in 20 years time it'll be around that percentage figure still.
    You can be realist or a romantic but rarely both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

So Coles/An Coilean/Lightbulb Sun et al what direct benefit is the promotion of the language to you? And we're not talking of any cultural vibe here. Are you teachers, from a Gaeltacht, involved in Irish language media/promotion or such like?
    [/SIZE]

I'm neither of those three or an activist for that matter. Just a fluent Irish speaker with an interest in keeping the language alive.

The original point of the thread is whether the language commissioner should be scrapped and I believe this to be ridiculous.

Eliminating this position would contribute to putting another dent in the heritage of the country.

We have a submissive government here who are happy being bossed around by the ECB etc but I hope even they can see the value in not getting rid of a position central to the very culture of Ireland. There are far bigger sources of financial concern at play here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

An Coilean wrote: »

Links please. (Not doubting your word, just like to read some).

And once again: how is the position "superior"? What difference does it ultimately make?

Also, regarding article 8:
    3. Provision may, however, be made by law for the exclusive use of either of the said languages for any one or more official purposes, either throughout the State or in any part thereof.

Assuming the Guard was on official purposes (i.e. his job) it would appear then that he has the right to order any citizen to communicate in English, assumign that citizen has the ability.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I'm neither of those three or an activist for that matter. Just a fluent Irish speaker with an interest in keeping the language alive.
    And that's cool LBS. It's just I have found that often the loudest voices in this are those with more to lose than the cultural aspect.
    The original point of the thread is whether the language commissioner should be scrapped and I believe this to be ridiculous.
    Funny enough, on that topic I actually agree with you. I don't see much point in dropping the position, nor would it save much if anything. There's more to be gained overall. Where I would like to see changes is in an acceptance of realities on the ground. EG let's face facts and acknowledge the language is "foreign" to the majority of the population of Irish people and no matter how often it's said to be our "native" language it isn't in practice. Acknowledge that the education system and other government drives over the last century have not slowed the fall in usage of the language. If anything they may well have served to increase it's demise.

When we do that then we can look anew at what we can do to fix it, if indeed the majority actually want a fix. While support for the language in straw polls and censuses seems pretty clear it's again in practice lip service. So I'd suggest a couple of things that might help. For a start relax the compulsory aspect in education, certainly for the leaving cert. If there's no interest by then there won't be. This would free up resources for the kids who show an aptitude/want to learn and hopefully take away some of it's "it was forced on us" stigma, which is most definitely out there.

Eliminating this position would contribute to putting another dent in the heritage of the country.....a position central to the very culture of Ireland. There are far bigger sources of financial concern at play here.

You over estimate the importance of Irish, and it is certainly not central to our culture. For that to be true, we would all be speaking Irish.

You miss another issue arising from the absurd First National Language policy....the imposition of Irish on English speaking children.

Laws don't maintain culture....people do.

Well it seems democracy is against you on this one but why out of interest is it ridiculous? What's ridiculous is guards carrying laminated cards like children.
    Eliminating this position would contribute to putting another dent in the heritage of the country.
    Only if you consider Irish to be part of your heritage.
    We have a submissive government here who are happy being bossed around by the ECB etc but I hope even they can see the value in not getting rid of a position central to the very culture of Ireland. There are far bigger sources of financial concern at play here.
    If the government scrapped the language commissar (sorry commissioner) and other useless projects they could use the money saved to help regain our financial sovereignty.

• Advertisement

Evidently you don't and the tone of that informs the rest of your opinions in that last post.

If the government priorities were to harm the role of Irish in society instead of going after unguaranteed bondholders there is something illogical about that, culturally and of course financially.

Evidently you don't and the tone of that informs the rest of your opinions in that last post.

If the government priorities were to harm the role of Irish in society instead of going after unguaranteed bondholders there is something illogical about that, culturally and of course financially.
    The only illogical thing about it is spending unnecessary money when you're in debt.

The only illogical thing about it is spending unnecessary money when you're in debt.

Oh, so you'd prioritize cutting (in context) a small amount of money towards funding a national language against the factors that are really bringing the country to it's knees?

Oh, so you'd prioritize cutting (in context) a small amount of money towards funding a national language against the factors that are really bringing the country to it's knees?
    No one said prioritise, but certainly we can't afford to waste money when we are in debt. Hell we can't afford to waste money during a surplus either. And it's not the national language you need to stop saying it is when only approx 2.34% of people speak it. Granted the constitution says it is but the constitution says a lot of out dated stuff.

If the government priorities were to harm the role of Irish in society ...
    The results of government policies on Irish speak for themselves (in English).

National languages don't need funding. People either speak them or they don't.

National languages don't need funding. People either speak them or they don't.

It's not as simple as that. People are employed in the sector. Through education, TG4 etc.

It's not as simple as that. People are employed in the sector. Through education, TG4 etc.
    Employed by the government, to satisfy a demand the government created. I have no sympathy for them.

Employed by the government, to satisfy a demand the government created. I have no sympathy for them.

Why would they need your sympathy? What demand are you talking about?

• Advertisement

Why would they need your sympathy? What demand are you talking about?
    What demand indeed. There is none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I veer slightly to the other side here. Part of a government's remit, I would argue, is to maintain fund and promote arts, culture and expression. That includes langauge. I may not like the way they go about this, and I certainly disagree with the people who are employed to do the above (let's face it: if someone who doesn't learn the lanaguge in 14 years is "stupid", what does it say about entire organisations who have been trying to promote it for decades and still fail to turn it into a widely-spoken language?), but what is left if said government turns around and does nothing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I veer slightly to the other side here. Part of a government's remit, I would argue, is to maintain fund and promote arts, culture and expression. That includes langauge. I may not like the way they go about this, and I certainly disagree with the people who are employed to do the above (let's face it: if someone who doesn't learn the lanaguge in 14 years is "stupid", what does it say about entire organisations who have been trying to promote it for decades and still fail to turn it into a widely-spoken language?), but what is left if said government turns around and does nothing?

14 years of sitting in a classroom without working on your language skills and ability to speak it outside of the classroom will inevitably mean, unless you are a true linguistic savant, that you won't be able to speak it to a half decent level.

The reason we see this attitude everywhere is because the vast majority of people in this country are monoglots so they don't have any idea of just how much work is involved to get to a decent speaking standard in a language. 14 years of sitting in class is nowhere near enough. Now 14 years of immersion on the other hand would do it quite well.

nesf wrote: »
    14 years of sitting in a classroom without working on your language skills and ability to speak it outside of the classroom will inevitably mean, unless you are a true linguistic savant, that you won't be able to speak it to a half decent level.

The reason we see this attitude everywhere is because the vast majority of people in this country are monoglots so they don't have any idea of just how much work is involved to get to a decent speaking standard in a language. 14 years of sitting in class is nowhere near enough. Now 14 years of immersion on the other hand would do it quite well.

I think living in a Gaeltacht either fulltime/temporarily (on a regular basis) and Gaelscoils are the only true immersive experiences at the moment.

In English speaking schools, its one subject contained within no true Irish speaking environment. Then when kids step outside it's just a continuation of English language life really.

nesf wrote: »

Oh, I know. I was referencing another poster there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Rubeter

No, not really true.
    You see many people these days love the richness and diversity of cultures around the planet and appreciate that sometimes special effort is needed to protect aspects of these from being subsumed by a larger one (do you think for example that the only people in north America who feel that native American cultures/languages are worth protecting are native North Americans?).
    Though there are still many around who think only "theirs" is of any value they are usually associated with far right movements or people with xenophobic or racist tendencies who are usually looked down upon by most liberal and broad minded people in modern day Europe.
    Interestingly one of the fears of some northern Unionist people is that their culture is not considered to be worth anything to those from a nationalist background and your attitude of "only mine is worth anything to me" is one of the root causes of the distrust we still have on this island between two culturally different peoples.

Now that said any person with Irish ancestry irrespective of religion, creed, colour or political affiliations who believes Irish had no part in their history needs to brush up a little on the history of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Rubeter wrote: »
    No, not really true.
    You see many people these days love the richness and diversity of cultures around the planet and appreciate that sometimes special effort is needed to protect aspects of these from being subsumed by a larger one (do you think for example that the only people in north America who feel that native American cultures/languages are worth protecting are native North Americans?).
    Though there are still many around who think only "theirs" is of any value they are usually associated with far right movements or people with xenophobic or racist tendencies who are usually looked down upon by most liberal and broad minded people in modern day Europe.

Now that said any person with Irish ancestry irrespective of religion, creed, colour or political affiliations who believes Irish had no part in their history needs to brush up a little on the history of Ireland.

Mad stuff, 'thinly veiled' Irish language enthusiasts are broad-minded, left of centre liberals rooting for the small guy....eh, me arse Ted.

9959 wrote: »
    Mad stuff, 'thinly veiled' Irish language enthusiasts are broad-minded, left of centre liberals rooting for the small guy....eh, me arse Ted.
    Interesting how you read something into a post that is not there in any way whatsoever and then disagree with it, not the best of conversational/debating skills there I'm afraid.
    I don't suppose you have something a little more worthwhile to add to the conversation? Such as responding to an actual point maybe.

Interesting comparison. Are all schoolchildren in America forced to learn one of the native American languages?

Other than language preference, what is the cultural difference between Irish speakers and an English speakers?

Interesting comparison. Are all schoolchildren in America forced to learn one of the native American languages?
    Nope. I thought you would have known that.
    Other than language preference, what is the cultural difference between Irish speakers and an English speakers?
    None that I know of, do you know any?

Nope. I thought you would have known that.

None that I know of, do you know any?

Why so circumspect now?

The post to which myself and 'opti0nal' responded was majestically wide-ranging in scope and vision, covering the indigenous population of North America, the fascism of nationalist movements in central Europe, and the little matter of cultural identities in Northern Ireland.
    Was really looking forward to your next 'opus' where - I was hoping - at least a passing reference might be made to the Israel/Palestine conflict, or a helpful guide to the Balkan conflict of the '90's, imagine my disappointment on reading the less than informative, monosyllabic reply "None that I know of....."
    Smarten yourself up and stop slumping, stamina man, stamina!

• Advertisement

Why so circumspect now?
    Questions asked, questions answered.
    The post to which myself and 'opti0nal' responded was majestically wide-ranging in scope and vision, covering the indigenous population of North America, the fascism of nationalist movements in central Europe, and the little matter of cultural identities in Northern Ireland.
    Was really looking forward to your next 'opus' where - I was hoping - at least a passing reference might be made to the Israel/Palestine conflict, or a helpful guide to the Balkan conflict of the '90's, imagine my disappointment on reading the less than informative, monosyllabic reply "None that I know of....."
    Tough.
    Smarten yourself up and stop slumping, stamina man, stamina!
    I'll take that a "no" to my request for you to maybe respond with something relevant to the point I raised. 'Till you decide to do that, bye.......

Questions asked, questions answered.

Tough.

I'll take that a "no" to my request for you to maybe respond with something relevant to the point I raised. 'Till you decide to do that, bye.......

That's better, you're back.

"take that a "no"", unless of course you can guide me towards your 'point', your post conflated many issues, I think you might also be confusing making a point with making a post, you constructed the latter, but neglected to include the former.
    Try again, but this time stick to the subject under discussion, rather than taking us on a geopolitical world tour of your wildest imaginings.
    Good luck to you!

I veer slightly to the other side here. Part of a government's remit, I would argue, is to maintain fund and promote arts, culture and expression. ..... but what is left if said government turns around and does nothing?
    The problem is that rather than attempting to do what you say, i.e. promote art, culture and expression, the government is pursuing CnaG's absurd 'Main Aim' of restoring Irish as the common language of Ireland.

If funding and goverment interference in people's rights were reduced to that commensurate with any other cultural endeavour, Irish would still be spoken by enthusiastic, passionate people.

In fairness, there's been evidence to the contrary in this very thread.
    The problem is that rather than attempting to do what you say, i.e. promote art, culture and expression, the government is pursuing CnaG's absurd 'Main Aim' of restoring Irish as the common language of Ireland.

Agreed. As i said, I didn't necessarily agree with how they went about achieving their aims.

(Is CnaG's 'Main Aim' as described? Sounds a bit arrogant, not to mention conformist)
    If funding and goverment interference in people's rights were reduced to that commensurate with any other cultural endeavour, Irish would still be spoken by enthusiastic, passionate people.

A few problems here.

I can't really accept the way you use "funding" and "government interferance" in the same sectence as if they are synonyms of each other. Whcih one is it? If you mean funding, do you have figures to show how much they fund Irish compared to other endeavours? If you mean interferance, a comparison is impossible because you can't measure interferance in other endeavours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

A very long thread this. Well, hands up anybody who has been persuaded to change their original position by one jot.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭DJP

Irrespective of if we have an Irish Language Commissioner Government Departments and Councils and some other State and semi-State bodies will still naturally have to comply with the Official Languages Act.

(Is CnaG's 'Main Aim' as described? Sounds a bit arrogant, not to mention conformist)
    From the CnaG website:
    Conradh na Gaeilge is the democratic forum for the Irish-speaking community and promotes the language throughout the whole of Ireland and around the world. Is main aim is to reinstate the Irish language as the common tongue of Ireland.
    Many Irish enthusiasts will deny the existence of the main aim or deny any association with CnaG. But this is the real agenda.
    I can't really accept the way you use "funding" and "government interferance" in the same sectence as if they are synonyms of each other. Whcih one is it? If you mean funding, do you have figures to show how much they fund Irish compared to other endeavours? If you mean interferance, a comparison is impossible because you can't measure interferance in other endeavours.
    'Funding' is the cost of providing Irish lessons to children. Interference is the forcing of children to learn Irish.
    Irrespective of if we have an Irish Language Commissioner Government Departments and Councils and some other State and semi-State bodies will still naturally have to comply with the Official Languages Act.
    The Irish Language Commissioner's job was created by the Official Languages Act. He and his staff enforce Irish language policy from an office building in Spiddal. Abolish the OLA and there is no Language Comissioner job.

Many Irish enthusiasts will deny the existence of the main aim or deny any association with CnaG. But this is the real agenda.
    CnaG want Irish to be the main language of the country, so what?
    The only possible reason I can think of that would produce the attitude you have about that "main aim", is if you are scared (and I mean really really scared) that it might actually happen.
    This is quite amusing because it is so incredibly unlikely and you must imagine the majority would not retain the ability or desire to also speak English, which is so unlikely as to be unthinkable.
    Your attitude in relation to this "main aim" is most extraordinarily entertaining. :D

CnaG want Irish to be the main language of the country, so what?
    The only possible reason I can think of that would produce the attitude you have about that "main aim", is if you are scared (and I mean really really scared) that it might actually happen.
    No, I'm outraged at the human and financial cost of attempting to bring this about.

There nothing funny about forcing children to speak Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

No, I'm outraged at the human and financial cost of attempting to bring this about.

There nothing funny about forcing children to speak Irish.
    More worried about religion being forced upon them at school myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement