Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed with cake!

Options
  • 12-03-2013 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

My parents anniversary is this weekend and I would love to bake a cake and ice and decorate it. In my mind I am thinking of a small fruit cake and iced with royal icing but thanks to google I think it is way too late at this stage as the fruit cake needs to be left for a time before eating.
    I am not a fan of buttercream or fondant icing or the icing you roll out and the family don't like it either.
    So any hint tips recipes help you can give would be much appreciated.
    Was also kinda thinking of mini fruit cakes but still not sure I have time.
    Anyone see any nice fruit cakes for sale and I could attempt to ice it.
    Thank you!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You could make a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. I like this recipe. You'd still get a rich, tasty cake and a lovely complementary icing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

How about chocolate biscuit cake? You could use royal icing with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

SBWife wrote: »
    How about chocolate biscuit cake? You could use royal icing with it?

This is something I do know how to bake. Not sure how I would ice it though....any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Treat it like a fruit cake (that's what people who use it for weddings do), almond icing then royal, you'll best make it tomorrow so the almond has a day to dry before doing the royal icing.

Treat it like a fruit cake (that's what people who use it for weddings do), almond icing then royal, you'll best make it tomorrow so the almond has a day to dry before doing the royal icing.

Thank you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Chocolate biscuit cake is a good suggestion. It will get eaten by far more people than the fruit cake.

Personally, I do not think that the taste of the marzipan goes well with Chocolate biscuit cake.

If you agree, An alternative suggestion is to spread melted chocolate on the CBC to give a smooth surface before the royal icing.

huskerdu wrote: »
    Chocolate biscuit cake is a good suggestion. It will get eaten by far more people than the fruit cake.

Personally, I do not think that the taste of the marzipan goes well with Chocolate biscuit cake.

If you agree, An alternative suggestion is to spread melted chocolate on the CBC to give a smooth surface before the royal icing.

Would this work? So if I made the cake this evening and left it in the fridge and then tomorrow put on the melted chocolate and the next day ice it. Would the icing take to it?
    Thanks.

Blingy wrote: »
    Would this work? So if I made the cake this evening and left it in the fridge and then tomorrow put on the melted chocolate and the next day ice it. Would the icing take to it?
    Thanks.

I think its a good idea and I have done a similar job before but with fondant icing. I am not an expert on icing compared to some on this forum.

Maybe others with more experience of different types of icing would like to comment or give further advice,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

I have made many cakes but I have never put royal icing on a chocolate biscuit cake! I don't know if there is any benefit to doing it, surely people don't like royal icing either, it's just sugar. If you are going to make a chocolate cake why not just decorate it with chocolate, what about chocolate cigarellos around it, maybe with white chocolate. You could do a two tier version, some use chocolate fingers either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Don't put almond paste on chocolate biscuit cake, that is all kinds of disgusting, bleh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

phormium wrote: »
    You could do a two tier version, some use chocolate fingers either.

At a recent family birthday party there was a CBC that was surrounded with chocolate fingers and then the top was covered in maltesers, looked really impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 lyno9235

Hi, just wondering if someone would be able to tell me how to get the cigarellos to stick to the chocolate biscuit cake?

lyno9235 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if someone would be able to tell me how to get the cigarellos to stick to the chocolate biscuit cake?

Melted chocolate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Melted chocolate would work but sets fast so need to work quick, you could use a ganache, hot cream and chocolate mixed, this slows down the setting so makes it easier to work with.

Advertisement