Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best modem model to purchase for DSL stability on a poor line?

• 12-03-2013 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

What is the best modem model to purchase for DSL stability on a poor line?

The reason for asking: bad experiences over years with different Zyxel modems and firmwares on different premises and lines, different providers Eircom and Magnet Business. In all cases, over time, the Zyxel modems behaviour degenerates to (at best) repeated dropping the DSL signal and less frequent but intermittent rebooting; and at worst, needing a physical presence at the location to power-off and power on. Tuning down the line speed usually lessens the problem but never eliminates it.

An Eircom business salesperson, talking about using DSL just for fallback, has also rubbished the Zyxel ranges and suggested a Cisco model, unfortunately I do not have the model number.

I need stability in the sense of no DSL drops to resync; no manual hands-on to power on and off. I do not even need a wireless capability, I can provide a separate wireless access point for that if needed.

Experienced info preferred, not just specs or theory!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

What are your line stats? Is the connection still dropping when connected to the main drop point, with no other devices connected? Is your current connection ADSL1 or ADSL2+?

Note, some modems support SRA, which, when enabled, can maintain a connection even with a varying sync rate. SRA is only supported by ADSL2+ though, and won't make much of a difference if DSL is dropping entirely as a result of some other factor.

In regards modem stability, I'd have to mention the Netopia 3341's, 3347's and 2247's. Many a time I've seen those maintain a stable connection, even with a faulty line and a completely screwy sync rate. Again, no use if it's a complete drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Netgear DG834GT is a fantastic router for a low snr/frequent drops. Google the modem and you will see the reviews.

☀️ 7.6kWp ⚡3.4kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭andublin

roast wrote: »
    Netopia 3341's, 3347's and 2247's.

Thanks for that; but I'm looking to purchase, and it looks like Motorola bought up Netopia and stopped making end-user equipment.
    Anything currently being manufactured for sale through normal channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭andublin

Netgear DG834GT is a fantastic router for a low snr/frequent drops.

Thanks for that; but I'm looking to purchase, and it looks like that model is obsolete and only available second-hand or "refurbished". I don't want to buy someone else's problem equipment.

Anything currently being manufactured for sale through normal channels?

Advertisement