Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win 8 Win XP sharing intermittent?

Options
  • 12-03-2013 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

The Win XP desktop is connected by Ethernet to my UPC supplied Cisco EPC2425, and my Win 8 laptop is connected wirelessly.

Both computers use the same exact workgroup, and I have shared the drives on both. On Windows 8, since there was the option in the properties of the C: drive, I set the permission on for everyone to read, change, and have full control. Underneath password protection of the sharing properties of said drive it says 'People with a user account for this computer can access folders shared with everyone'. I have a different username and password set on each computer.

From the Win 8 laptop I can only sometimes see the desktop computer, and even when I can see it I can only sometimes open it - otherwise it gives the error about not being connected etc. Currently I cannot even see the Desktop under the Network menu on the laptop.

Currently on the Win XP desktop I am able to see my Win 8 laptop when I click on View workgroup computers from My Network Places. Unfortunately when I click on it I receive the following error:

OvFOrLu.png

Currently I cannot even see the desktop under the Network menu on the laptop.

When this happens, which is most of the time, I usually restart all devices.

The strange thing is both computers have the same workgroup set, I can see the shared drives of each locally on each computer, but only sometimes access them across the network...

Help me boards.ie!

Advertisement