Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the price of Guinness gone up or is it just McGinleys?

Options
  • 12-03-2013 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

Went in there on Saturday for the Rugby to meet up with few mates and had 8 quid for 2 pints till I got to banklink at half time, except the price had gone up to €4.20. I thought maybe it was a mistake so I asked the other lads too and they said yeah they got charged €4.20 too and had only realized after a few pints.

So now Guinness is the same price as lagers (bud is €4.20 too) making it the most expensive pint I’ve had outside the Pale. Is this the case through town (other pubs haven’t seem to have changed) or is it only McGinleys? This mixed with the bullcrap they pull with the “money for the band” they try and pull has completely put me off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Guinness and Smithwicks should be cheaper than larger, it is in every other pub. There hasn't been a price increase since the budget, but Diageo did add an increase just before the budget.
    Any more than €4 for Guinness and €4.20 for Larger in a pub is unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Senna wrote: »
    Guinness and Smithwicks should be cheaper than larger, it is in every other pub. There hasn't been a price increase since the budget, but Diageo did add an increase just before the budget.
    Any more than €4 for Guinness and €4.20 for Larger in a pub is unacceptable.

yeah thats my thoughts exactly, its always been the case that Guinness was cheaper and usually by at least 20c.

Nowhere else it seems has done this and it only seems to have come in in the last week or so

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

danniemcq wrote: »
    This mixed with the bullcrap they pull with the “money for the band” they try and pull has completely put me off.

lol they still do that? jaysus

retalivity wrote: »
    lol they still do that? jaysus

yup, everytime I've been in there when there was music they came round.

and using the line "its for the band" makes you look like a dick when you refuse in front of people

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

danniemcq wrote: »
    yup, everytime I've been in there when there was music they came round.

and using the line "its for the band" makes you look like a dick when you refuse in front of people
    Are you saying that they come round cap (or similar) in hand asking for donations to pay for the music?

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Are you saying that they come round cap (or similar) in hand asking for donations to pay for the music?

yeah they come round with it and ask for "money for the band" and then put the money into the till.

I know technically its money from the till that pays the band what i have an issue with is how they do/ask for it.

I've a few mates who have played their before (different bands) and they refuse to play there again because of it. Each band gets a (fairly low according to them compared to other places) and see people paying for them and they see none of it.

Lots of people are shocked when I tell them and they automatically assume its like a tip jar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

This 'money for the band' craic is very unprofessional. If a pub wants music playing in it to get the punters in then thats fine by me but they shouldnt be at the whole cap in hand thing and I'd expect more from one of the most popular pubs in Letterkenny.

Advertisement