Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to build an App

Options
  • 12-03-2013 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

What is the best way to learn how to make Apps ( not games :) )

I've subscribed for an account at VTC.com and i will watch there training.

Do you suggest find tutorials / step by step guides where they show you how to build a specific app, i.e. the app the tutorial is building.. or learning Obj c and starting to put lines of code together ?

I personally find it easier to following tutorials and then take what i've learned and add it to other projects.

Are there good sites showing these step by step guides.. where at the end you have a working app ( if you did it right :) )

I have ideas for app's i'd like to make.. just for fun.

I could buy books from Amazon but i find it very hard to following coding books. As i said i learn better from doing tuts / video tuts.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Are you set on making an iOS app? Android apps are built using Java if you know any?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I don't know any.

I am set on building iOS, i just bought a new mac from app :) so i have to put it to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Do you have a coding background? If not, you will find it next to near impossible.

yes,, but mainly html css and php.

But i love learning new things. Your statement saying i will find it near to impossible is a bit much... how does anyone learn new things ? they all have to start somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 ThePandaboy

Vogella This can be quiet good, also use Stackoverflow for help

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭maxmarmalade

You can use your html and css skills and build HTML5 apps. That's what I've done rather than building on each different platform. HTML5 is very powerful despite what people will tell you. http://www.html5rocks.com/en/

You can use your html and css skills and build HTML5 apps. That's what I've done rather than building on each different platform. HTML5 is very powerful despite what people will tell you. http://www.html5rocks.com/en/

Will Apple let me upload Apps made in html5 to the app store for people to download ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

NeVeR wrote: »
    Will Apple let me upload Apps made in html5 to the app store for people to download ?

Yes as long as it provides more functionality than a basic website, IE: its not a basic web view that simply points to a webpage or provides simplistic information that a user could use a browser to view.

draffodx wrote: »
    Yes as long as it provides more functionality than a basic website, IE: its not a basic web view that simply points to a webpage or provides simplistic information that a user could use a browser to view.

I've not looked at using HTML5 / java/ css for building apps. As i've said i'm not to apps. But using html5 would be so much easier for me.

next questions:

1: How can i test the App on an iphone device ?
    2: How would i go about building / compiling the App for submitted to the App store ?

I know from using xcode for a short time that certain files are expected by apple,

Can someone show me an App in the App Store that was built in HTML5 just so i know what the potential could be :)

thanks.

• Advertisement

I've not looked at using HTML5 / java/ css for building apps. As i've said i'm not to apps. But using html5 would be so much easier for me.

next questions:

1: How can i test the App on an iphone device ?
    2: How would i go about building / compiling the App for submitted to the App store ?

I know from using xcode for a short time that certain files are expected by apple,

Can someone show me an App in the App Store that was built in HTML5 just so i know what the potential could be :)

thanks.

I think Pulse is the big one at the minute:

https://www.pulse.me/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/alphonso-labs-inc/id371088676

thanks i'll take a look.

How about testing the app and compiling it for app store ?:)

thanks i'll take a look.

How about testing the app and compiling it for app store ?:)

Not sure as I've always used XCode, I don't know how it works when your creating a hybrid app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭ozmo

I don't know any.

I am set on building iOS, i just bought a new mac from app :) so i have to put it to use.

Know you are set on IOS -

But the Android platform is easier to start with - you get the software and an emulator for free. And it works on a PC as well as a Mac... emulators a bit slow - but its free - (much easier with an android phone if you have one).

Java is a fair bit easier to code than ObjectiveC(IOS).
    Its also cheaper ($25 once off fee to register with Google) to get your apps on the store than the $100(?) yearly fee you need to pay Apple - also the apps appear almost immediately rather than waiting for them to be checked by Apple.

Again - know your final goal is IOS, mine would be too - but if you are dabbling with mobile apps - the cheaper and quicker way to try is Android.... And you should be able get a real native Java app together rather than a html app.

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    Know you are set on IOS -

But the Android platform is easier to start with - you get the software and an emulator for free. And it works on a PC as well as a Mac... emulators a bit slow - but its free - (much easier with an android phone if you have one).

Java is a fair bit easier to code than ObjectiveC(IOS).
    Its also cheaper ($25 once off fee to register with Google) to get your apps on the store than the $100(?) yearly fee you need to pay Apple - also the apps appear almost immediately rather than waiting for them to be checked by Apple.

Again - know your final goal is IOS, mine would be too - but if you are dabbling with mobile apps - the cheaper and quicker way to try is Android.... And you should be able get a real native Java app together rather than a html app.

My g/f has Samsung 3 mini.. so i could test on that.

I already have a Apple Dev account.. i paid for it last year around Sept when I had an App built for me.. but i never followed through with it to App store lol

I know Android would be cheaper to start with.. but i've already spent €1249 on a new mac lol.. and I have to put it to us.. also as i said i've got an Apple dev account.

but I will defo be looking at android as well. I don't want to limit what ever i make to just one device.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭maxmarmalade

My g/f has Samsung 3 mini.. so i could test on that.

I already have a Apple Dev account.. i paid for it last year around Sept when I had an App built for me.. but i never followed through with it to App store lol

I know Android would be cheaper to start with.. but i've already spent €1249 on a new mac lol.. and I have to put it to us.. also as i said i've got an Apple dev account.

but I will defo be looking at android as well. I don't want to limit what ever i make to just one device.

Having a Mac is the best thing because you can run botj android and iphone emulators on it. We're building a HTML5 app with Phonegap but we now need to get hold of a mac to test it on iphone. With HTML5, it's all about optimising javascript. It's best to read some books on javascript/jquery because optimising is essential.

Advertisement