Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card advice

Options
  • 12-03-2013 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I was just looking for advice on what kind of computer system I need, the computer will be exclusively used for an Excavator Operator Training Simulator. Here are the specs required. After a quick look, it seems like I need some kind of mid-range gaming computer, just wondering if I would need to upgrade the graphics card if I got something like this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Well this is interesting. My advice is to let us help you pick parts for a custom pc that will meet your requirements exactly and it will contain parts of higher performance and quality than any pre built system you could get for the money.

Make a new thread here and fill this out.

If you want to ask about a new build, please include as much of the following information as possible in your thread:

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dobthe2nd

Thanks for the quick reply, I was in there already looking around and said I'd post here because I didn't want to go down the build route. Mainly because of time restraints. I was really just wondering if the quickest/cheapest way to get the simulator up and running would be to invest in a mid-high spec laptop and upgrade the graphics card if needs be? Also I'm clueless on the compatibilty issues associated with graphics cards

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Well the site we recommend ordering parts from offer a build service for €20. They will install windows for another €30.

They deliver within 5 days of payment usually and you can pay with online banking so it's pretty convenient.

Pre built systems are usually weak in several areas and will rarely match your requirements.

There's lot's of people on that forum will help you pick compatible parts that match your needs exactly.

Have you bought the simulator already? I'm assuming you are using John Deere equipment. I seen quite a few of the big equipment makers have their own software and simulators.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dobthe2nd

Yeah, the simulator is sitting in a box and I'm just working on the finding the right computer to install the software on, the computer will just be for use with the simulator so I'm just looking around using the minimum system requirements from john deere. My main concern was the graphics card as the rest of the requirements seem standard enough. I was thinkin that the fastest way forward would to be just by a pc and get an suitable graphics card if its needed. I posted the thread to the other forum so will see what happens. john deere also offer building a computer specially for the simulator with the software already installed so I'm waiting to see what kind of numbers they give me for that. Thanks for your help.

Advertisement