Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Ombudsman Commission

• 12-03-2013 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭

The Garda Ombudsman Commission have decided to investigate the case of a Garda who was convicted of assault in Drogheda --

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0312/376199-garda-ombudsman-drogheda/

Rightly so I would say and if he is guilty and loses his appeal the Garda Siochana are better off without lads like this.

Now my question is --
    If the Garda Ombudsman Commission can decide to investigate this in the interest of public concern (and i agree they should) why have they not decided to investigate the very serious matter of the Penalty Points Scandal which involved senior Gardai, Senators and Judges?
    This is also a matter of Public Concern but maybe, just maybe, they are afraid to ruffle the feathers of the big boys.

Fish of one and flesh of another comes to mind.
    Surely the GOC should investigate ALL Garda wrongdoing and others who received favours as is their remit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Slyderx1

who gets to investigate the Garda Ombudsman Commission?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nolottoyet

whats in the public interest is probably decided by those mentioned above therefore no chance of it being investigated

The public interest is a term of political art and seldom has any basis or regard to the public or what the public should know or care about. Investigating bodies should not be immune from having their own files shaken up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Slyderx1 wrote: »
    who gets to investigate the Garda Ombudsman Commission?

A Supreme Court (or High Court) judge
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2005/en/act/pub/0020/sec0109.html#sec109

lol see subsection 6 and s.110 ...No, I mean a fully resourced investigation not a report that will gather dust.

• Advertisement
Advertisement