Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet-Friendly Accommodation in Maynooth

Options
  • 12-03-2013 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

My girlfriend and I are looking to move to Maynooth in the next few weeks. We'll be bringing a small dog along with us. Anyone have any advice on how to broach the subject with landlords? Looking at Daft, there's not many properties that tick the "pets allowed" box on their ads, but very few ads explicitly state "no pets".

Maynooth seems like a very pet-friendly sort of town, so hopefully it won't be an issue. Still, if anyone has some tips about getting pet-friendly, I'd appreciate them!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

just ask the landlord.
    Maynooth is full of dogs .

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

When I was looking for somewhere in leixlip I found it very hard to find a place which would allow us to have a dog.

From what I could gather, apartments (even if they had a garden attached) was 100% a no go for dogs, which makes sense as it wouldnt be fair on the dog. Houses were alot more accomidating, but even at that, looking at 50 houses, only about 5 of them would allow a dog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

Where we are renting at the moment the pets allowed box wasn't ticked but when we broached the subject our landlady had no problem with our dog. She had one herself so I suppose that helped but if you really push it that your dog is clean, house trained, quiet etc they might be okay. Our last landlord always commented on the fact that you wouldn't even know there was a dog in the house. I think some non dog people think the place would smell of wet dog and they'd trash the place, it all depends on your Landlord.

I personally would prefer to rent my house to someone with a dog than a kid to be honest judging on some of the houses we viewed last year that children had lived in.

You could always just not say anything if you're getting a lot of no's but that would only work if the landlord rarely called around and you hid the dog everytime. We've had to do that before, it worked out fine but it was a bit of hassle to have to take the dog and all his belongings out everytime we were due a visit. If a Landlord found out they could always hold on to your deposit too so it's not the ideal route to go down, only if you're really stuck.

Best of luck, finding a nice place to rent in Maynooth isn't easy as it is (it took us months to find a decent place) without having to worry about the dog too, hope you get lucky and all the best with the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Well, tbh, I found that most of the places said no on the site, but when you asked the actual owner, it could be a different story, especially if you play the old "we love it, could put a desposit down on it right now, but, we want to ask, do you allow pets?"

Deal closer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I've rented in maynooth for a few years now and never told the landlords I had a dog... but then I 'share custody' with my mam and shes never here alone! Pretty sure my current landlords have figured it out but I'm a good tenant and the house is spotless so they haven't said anything!

Next time i'd love to be upfront and not have the worry of it. I think a good way around it would be to offer an extra pet deposit as guarentee that your dog won't cause any damage, and maybe a pet reference from your current landlord. Don't restrict yourself to just the houses that say pets allowed, and maybe let the landlord meet your dog.

• Advertisement
Advertisement