Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEERS O'Connells bar Galway. Probably the best pub in the world.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

Maybe
    Any more love for roisin dubh? Ah good spot! Heated smoking area witha roof...on the roof of the building for you types :p

IMO You either really really like it or really really hate it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I think the best Location would be BierHouse or Blue Note :) Salt House is my preferred pub but might be a bit small for the numbers..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

cuana wrote: »
    IMO You either really really like it or really really hate it :o
    Oh that Tar, Tar really loves it :cool:

Little known fact: did you know that Tar was voted sexiest moderator in Galway for 10 years running, despite the fact of only being on Boards 8 years? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Not the skeff, I'm not allowed in there anymore..

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

Me and the BF (SeriousTack) are up for it! Not all that active on boards, dunno if that's a problem. Just looking forward to meeting a few people.
    Salt house is my personal fav but overcrowded if lots of you are planning to come. So I say Blue Note, not so fond of the Skeff or the roisin myself (especially since they took the benches out of the smoking area, prob the reason I haven't been since then...).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

What about Oslo in Salt hill? I don't really know Galway bars,but my husband and I had a few drinks in there when we stayed in Galway last year. Its fairly open plan so people can mingle and there are plenty of hotels for anyone staying overnight. Optional drunken streaking on the beach for the exhibitionists amongst ye:D

No
    I reckon we should stick with the city centre tbh. Doesn't make sense for people coming from outside of Galway to have extra distance to travel to their accommodation, or taxis home at the end of the night when there's so many options in the city.

This is the list so far, have I missed anything? I'll throw up a poll.

O'Connell's
    Monroes
    Skeff
    roisin dubh!
    BierHouse
    Blue Note

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Skeff is a kip :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

Maybe
    i may not make it after all...sorry guys

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I'm sure you'll be out of that basement by then ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Roisin Dubh is a crap place for a beers. Too tight. Yes, yes. Oo-er and all that.

Maybe
    how about the beer house?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

Maybe
    O Connesls for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

O'Connell's has a lovely big smoking area out the back which is great even for non-smokers, I remember spending Arthur's Day in O'Connell's, great night altogether, good type of crowd and excellent music (Alabama 3 were playing among a few others) got to appreciate that kind of spot.

Bierhaus and the Salt House are also a class spots, got to love their selections, cool atmosphere too in both of them. The latter part also works well in the Blue Note's favour, but it's not that big. Monroe's does be hopping most weekends, that being the summer I'd reckon it'd be packed, grand spot.

I generally love the Róisín Dubh, but I'm not too sure about it for a Beers... It's great for music and a nice alty atmosphere but I don't think it would suit everyone. The Skeff is grand, nothing too special though.

If I were going, which is likely that I won't be, I'd go for O'Connell's or Monroes, decent sized places, both are good craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Maybe
    O'Connells. They have the best outside area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Maybe
    Few off top my head
    • Skeffs (Is alright, think could book upstairs and have our own bar, plenty room)
    • The Townhouse (one my fav pubs but bit small)
    • Busker Brownes (pricey though)
    • McSwiggans (can book the back bar, numbers may be an issue but there is €3 Guinness)
    • Salt House (bit small)
    • Roisin Dubh (be very spread out)
    • Front Door (be way to wedged)
    • The Bentley Bar (drinks bit expensive)

most logical is O'Connells:
    • Big Smoking Area (Outdoor bar)
    • Good Guinness
    • Is off Eyre Sq. so easy for people to find

Any where but Kings Head is good with me really- really hate that place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Maybe
    Whats the story with this, Do folks say from Dublin meet up and head down together and have a bit of craic or do people head down on their own with the other halfs and make a weekend out of it and only just meet for the beers.

I have never met anyone and would love to go but would feel weird going down alone and just showing up and saying HEY!!! not knowing anyone at all.

Hope that doesn't sound too weird :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Maybe
    0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Whats the story with this, Do folks say from Dublin meet up and head down together and have a bit of craic or do people head down on their own with the other halfs and make a weekend out of it and only just meet for the beers.

I have never met anyone and would love to go but would feel weird going down alone and just showing up and saying HEY!!! not knowing anyone at all.

Hope that doesn't sound too weird :o

Mostly it'll be people who already know eachother carpooling down. And people who don't going it alone and getting that awkward feeling.... I've been to a few beers, it never goes away :pac: SO don't worry about it and just go :D

Got a couch and plenty of floor space if a few people need somewhere to crash close to the city centre

Far as a venue goes, The Rousin is terrible for groups. It's generally packed and very loud meaning any conversation or attempts at will involve everyone shouting very loudly. At the Galway Chrustmas Beers were started at O'Connolls and then migrated down. Bier house, Blue Note, Salt House are all great places to grab a few and they have a far better selection than the Roisin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Maybe
    Mostly it'll be people who already know eachother carpooling down. And people who don't going it alone and getting that awkward feeling.... I've been to a few beers, it never goes away :pac: SO don't worry about it and just go :D

Its not really the going alone, its the getting down and sitting in a hotel waiting to head out bored of my tits. Plus the fear of standing there alone.

But **** it, im sure it'll be a laugh so i'm in, If i'm welcome of course :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I've only been to 1 regional beers. I was nervous but it was grand. I'm sure there will be plans for people to meet up beforehand rather than walking in feeling awkward. Hope so anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yeah actually roisin wouldnt be the best for sticking together, which is often a problem at beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Maybe
    Initial meetup in O'Connell's and move on from there if necessary, perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

How many usually go to these things? Blue note is too small, and too loud on a Saturday night. Even though it's one of my favorite pubs. Just not suitable for large scale conversation.

The Oslo in Salthill is a cracking idea. Plenty of space, nice interior, selection of craft beers and only 10 or 15 mins from town in a taxi.

Roisin definite no no.

Maybe
    Its not really the going alone, its the getting down and sitting in a hotel waiting to head out bored of my tits. Plus the fear of standing there alone.

take up the offer of floor space then? if they dont mind. then youll be with someone else and you wont need a hotel

kraggy wrote: »
    How many usually go to these things? Blue note is too small, and too loud on a Saturday night. Even though it's one of my favorite pubs. Just not suitable for large scale conversation.

The Oslo in Salthill is a cracking idea. Plenty of space, nice interior, selection of craft beers and only 10 or 15 mins from town in a taxi.

Roisin definite no no.

The problem with the Oslo is that it's too far outside the city centre and getting there and back again can be akward. If you start the night there then your most likely going to stay there as the effort of getting a large group of people back into the city centre just isn't worth it.

I think that the best plan would be to start somewhere relatively quiet and then head elsewhere as the night draws on. Great thing about the Blue Note is that the smoking area is relatively large and has tables and benches meaning that if we get there at a decent time then we can all sit outside and not need to shout at one another.

O'Connolls is the same though last time I was there one part if the outside was closed off and everyone was packed into the small section where you were constantly being bumped into and had to shout to be heard.

Think the best course of action is try have a mini beers this weekend or next and try the various places suggested. Some further hands on research will be if benefit to us all

Maybe
    hands on research? sounds like an excuse to hit the pubs and down the guiness to me :P

what about kellys? its big and usually quite. galway language exchange have their meetups there and it works out perfectly for talking

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Maybe
    Whats the story with this, Do folks say from Dublin meet up and head down together and have a bit of craic

Last Galway beers a good few of us all arranged to meet and get the same train down from Heuston.
    Closer to the date I'm sure we'll do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Don't worry about it. There are always the usual piss heads who go for pre beers early on. nearer the time I'll pm you my number :P

• Advertisement

No
    Venue Poll!

Advertisement