Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEERS O'Connells bar Galway. Probably the best pub in the world.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Maybe
    The venus choices are pretty bad there.

The Skeff, Roisin and Bierhaus are all terrible ideas for one simple reason, they are too loud and too mental on saturday nights.

The roisin isn't a bar, it's a music venue and late night venue, its dead until 11 and then you can't move.

The skeff is rammed with 18year olds at the weekend and the music is loud and ****e.

Bierhaus is a nice bar but saturday nights in there are bananas and they always have house/hiphop/electro nights on weekends so it's mental loud.

Monroes and O'Connells would be good ideas any night besides saturday, they are mental busy those nights, monroes has ****e covers bands playing in the bar as well so it's super loud in there. We could probably book the side bar in monroes though if numbers were right, but we'd have to do it now as they book out with parties quickly.
    O'Connells has a massive beer garden and it's a nice spot but if it's raining we'd be ****ed, it's massive and open and the shelter is not great in most of it and saturdays in there are crazy busy so there wouldn't be a hope in hell of us getting seats indoors.

The Oslo would be a much better venue than any of them for the following reason.
    It's massive, it's busy but there is plenty of room, it's got lots of seating, it's got a big smoking area out the back seats out front, it's 2km from town (3-4 minutes in a taxi) and has lots of busses to service it in the evening and loads of taxis parked across the road to get into town at 12/1ish if we wanted to go to the roisin or massimo for late pints. And it's in Salthill so if the weather is nice perfect.

Another option would be to reserve an area upstairs in the town house, big area, lots of steats, and slap bang in town, drinks are stupidly expensive though because it's at the bottom on quay street and the way that places goes through lease holders I wouldn't bank on it being open in 2 months time to be honest, they are already closing for certain nights of the week because they don't get enough business. (€5.80 for a pint of fischers for example is extortionate).

We could go for Massimo either, it's big, loads of seating, we could reserve the back area for ourselves, has a big smoking area and it's a late bar, and it has great food so if anyone wanted to get there early for something to eat they'd be sorted.

To be honest, I think Massimo is the best overall option. It's central, it's big, they have an area you can reserve, it's not loud until about 11 and then they play good music and serve until late and has plenty of room for the smokers and it gives the option of wandering to the Roisin or Monroes if we want to go somewhere else for late drinks.

Of the current options I voted for O'Connells.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

Maybe
    there should be an "other" option

No
    In fairness lads, the request for venues went up a week ago, that's the first time Massimo has been mentioned. The poll is up now and an "other" option means we have to put up a new poll again when people have suggested all their "others".

O'Connells has come up quite a lot and no doubt will be where the beers are ultimately held.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Maybe
    Whoopsa put up a request for venue suggestions ages ago and even changed the thread title to reflect that. She can only go off what people suggested in fairness.

Edit: what whoopsa said ^^^ :D

Maybe
    In fairness lads, the request for venues went up a week ago, that's the first time Massimo has been mentioned. The poll is up now and an "other" option means we have to put up a new poll again when people have suggested all their "others".

O'Connells has come up quite a lot and no doubt will be where the beers are ultimately held.

The last Galway beers was in Oslo and was a great night, also, I didn't even know you were looking for venues, otherwise I'd have posted this a week ago...

Resetting the poll takes what, 30 seconds work?

• Advertisement

No
    I'm not adding Oslo for reasons already stated. I'm sure it worked brilliantly for Galway beers but most people going to those live in Galway. People are travelling to Galway from different parts if the country for these ones.

Maybe
    I'm not adding Oslo for reasons already stated. I'm sure it worked brilliantly for Galway beers but most people going to those live in Galway. People are travelling to Galway from different parts if the country for these ones.

you might as well just close the poll and so and make it O'Connells as it's the only one even remotely viable. Then pray it doesn't rain.

You might notice I gave two other options, in the city centre, which would be more suitable than most of the ones on the poll as well...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

O'Connells or Massimos are the only good options imo.

Maybe
    few bottle of buckees under spanish arch, settle all this bickering

Maybe
    shane9689 wrote: »
    few bottle of buckees under spanish arch, settle all this bickering

How it should be in fairness, Galway culture at it's finest.

• Advertisement

Maybe
    Seaneh wrote: »
    you might as well just close the poll and so and make it O'Connells as it's the only one even remotely viable. Then pray it doesn't rain.

You might notice I gave two other options, in the city centre, which would be more suitable than most of the ones on the poll as well...

It's just a pity you didn't give them sometime in the past week when whoopsa asked for suggestions ;)

Maybe
    LizT wrote: »
    It's just a pity you didn't give them sometime in the past week when whoopsa asked for suggestions ;)

As stated, I didn't know suggestions were being sought.

Maybe this is a lesson learned in the importance to properly announcing such things ;).

Maybe

Maybe this is a lesson learned in the importance to properly announcing such things ;).

Whoopsa changed the title of the thread to 'please suggest venues' days ago...

Maybe
    i think whoopsa should chuck out peoples opinions and choose what she thinks is best. she knows what are options are at this stage. its alright asking for a date because you want people to show up, but choosing a venue isnt such a group decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Maybe
    shane9689 wrote: »
    i think whoopsa should chuck out peoples opinions and choose what she thinks is best. she knows what are options are at this stage. its alright asking for a date because you want people to show up, but choosing a venue isnt such a group decision.
    It needs to be a majority group decision. If whoopsa makes the decision and people don't like it, she will have to listen to them bitching about it all night. If it's a group decision, then she won't bear the brunt of it if anyone is unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Let it go, will ya.

Maybe
    Paddy Cow wrote: »
    It needs to be a majority group decision. If whoopsa makes the decision and people don't like it, she will have to listen to them bitching about it all night. If it's a group decision, then she won't bear the brunt of it if anyone is unhappy.

then a stern banning would set them straight, no mercy... we need someone to replace Maggie thatcher now that shes gone

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

I don't really care where we go in all honesty. It's about the people anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

I don't really care where we go in all honesty. It's about the people anyway.

lol you spelled beer like people

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

sea_monkey wrote: »
    lol you spelled beer like people

Sorry, I'm Dutch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

So, no chance of Carlow then?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

Maybe
    So, no chance of Carlow then?

Galway is always fun :D forget Carlow for now

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭LOI Stats

This sounds interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

No
    Hole in the Wall surely?!?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Hole in the Wall surely?!?

:pac:
    Not everyone is a big fan of the auld glory hole unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Club aras na Gael.. And watch ye struggle (I don't talk much anyway) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭ciaracp

No
    I think i'll head along...bring a non boardsie friend with me and put faces to names...

How many are going? say aye...or just thank this :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Maybe
    59 Days To Go.......

Just started packing my bag tonight :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭ciaracp

No
    Only 3 of us going... :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

No
    I'll be heading down with another boardsie, hopefully :)

Advertisement