Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEERS O'Connells bar Galway. Probably the best pub in the world.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Maybe
    I was thinking about Kinlay but if the craic is to be had in Snoozles I'm there

I stayed there once. Some pri!ck disagreed on the hostel etiquette with me and I had an awkward 3 hours there. Other than that seemed v good. Nice place. They also have good wifi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

O'Connells and the Roisin are one and two, I guess I know where Im not wanted:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Oh Jaysus I have to go to this - and O'Connell's is my work local, so definitely there. We'll be too loud for the Crane!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I love how this thread says 'sticky poll' at the start :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

Sounds good, i'll try to get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

No
    This post has been deleted.

Avoid Kinlay at all costs. I've been in hostels all over the world and I can definitively say it is the worst one I have ever been in. It's not so much the facilities but the staff that are awful.
    I stayed there for the mumford and sons gig in Galway last year.
    Got back to the hostel after the concert with a girl I was seeing at the time.
    I had my key and my ID, which they had a photocopy of behind the desk. The girl had her key, ID and this small piece of paper they call a security card. It's literally a small piece of cardboard with your name and room number hand written on it. I had lost mine somewhere along the way.
    This clown behind the desk then says he isnt letting me in. I laughed thinking he was joking. Turns out he's dead serious. I showed him the key, my ID, the girl showed him everything but he's adamant you need this piece of shit card. After about 15 - 20 minutes of naming everything in the room and describing our bags and pretty much proving we were staying there and had paid (I told him he'd find the receipt in a pocket of the coat in the room) I started to get pretty pissed off.
    He rings security to come and throw us out and then security starts threatening to ring the guards.
    The guards arrive and he starts saying I made racist comments because he's from the Middle East. This threw me for six completely because it just came out of nowhere and then the bouncer, who wasnt even there, starts backing him up. Im a member of the IPSC for fuck's sake.
    Anyway, I'd had enough and said I'd just go sleep in the car and told the girl to head on to the room.
    Not happening either. Even though she has all the cards required she's with me and therefor cant come in either.
    I was ready to beat the cunt at this stage.
    The guards stood there totally gormlessly while the clown actually went to the room then and got our bags and gave them to us. So either he knew it was our room or he was happy to just give us some strangers' bags.
    Went back the next day to complain and the management were worse than ignorant. I was accused of being a racist on the word of this prick and the fifty fuckin euro I paid for the room was staying with them.
    I'd never go back there, I'd advise everyone else to avoid it and frankly the whole thing put me off ever setting foot in Galway again (I'm sure Galway is devastated.)

Anyway, yea, fuck Kinlay, stay somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Kichote

Has a banned person ever shown up to a AH beers and been kicked out over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Maybe
    Kichote wrote: »

Why? Are you planning on getting banned between now and then? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Maybe
    LizT wrote: »
    Why? Are you planning on getting banned between now and then? :)

While they might not, I was chatting to bubbles the other day and he was thinking of coming along. Himself and the shared wife are in town for that weekend.

No
    Anyone is welcome to come to the beers :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Maybe
    How would anyone know if you'd been banned or not? I haven't been to one of these but I presume you would just introduce yourself by your real name and not your username?

No
    Paddy Cow wrote: »
    How would anyone know if you'd been banned or not? I haven't been to one of these but I presume you would just introduce yourself by your real name and not your username?

You do yeh, but inevitably everyone will ask "who are you on boards".

These are things which should have been taken into consideration prior to picking a six syllable childlike username :o

Maybe
    You do yeh, but inevitably everyone will ask "who are you in boards".

These are things which should have been taken into consideration prior to picking a six syllable childlike username :o

Handy for enough for me, I can just say "I'm Liz"

Unless it's like the last AH beers and everyone just smiles and nods while thinking "Who the fcuk is she?" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Maybe

You'll only be kicked out if you 'act like a dick'.

No
    so has it all been decided. what about a time?

Maybe
    so has it all been decided. what about a time?
    And how do you spot the boardsies? I went to the last one in O'Connell's. I went into the beer garden and asked a few people if they were from Boards. They said no, gave me a look like I was a weirdo, I lost my nerve and went home lol :o

No
    And how do you spot the boardsies? I went to the last one in O'Connell's. I went into the beer garden and asked a few people if they were from Boards. They said no, gave me a look like I was a weirdo, I lost my nerve and went home lol :o

last year there was a part of the pub sectioned off. i went down on my own. everyone is really cool and friendly, even the ones that ocassionally enrage me on here. cant speak highly enough of any boardsies i met. they are also a tolerant people. i was pretty p1ssed and wafflin shoite knows what and nobody told me to fuk off. bless em

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Left touserleg 2" above ankle bone, funny shake hand, twitcing eye and shouting at the potted plants :p
    The quiet fellow singing The Banks, holding life-size blow-up version of Nora Barnacle and horseing down pints of Murphys is me ;)

No
    8 PM in the smaller heated roofed area outside!

Leave your online opinions of people behind! People are generally really sound. Some of the best nights I've had have been boards beers and some of the coolest people I've met have been weirdos off the Internet!

If you're worried about going there alone just post here asking for someone's number or to meet someone at the door!

No
    if i can make it il be headin down from cross if anyone round there or on the way wants a lift. i could take 4. split the diesel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

Maybe

awwwwww man!! that sucks if you'd like we can meet before hand? Its likely I'll be heading up on my own :)

Maybe
    cuana wrote: »
    awwwwww man!! that sucks if you'd like we can meet before hand? Its likely I'll be heading up on my own :)
    Thanks. Are you from Galway? There's a Galway beers this Saturday which I'm going to if I get off work early so hopefully I'll know a few faces before I go in this time.

Maybe
    You do yeh, but inevitably everyone will ask "who are you on boards".

We should have a fancy dress beers where everyone has to dress up as their username :pac:

No
    We should have a fancy dress beers where everyone has to dress up as their username :pac:

No :mad:

Maybe

Grand.

Maybe
    No :mad:
    You can dress up as your avatar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I'll probably be heading to this and will be having pre-beers. Drop me a PM if you want to meet up before hand. We don't bite, much :p

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

Maybe
    Thanks. Are you from Galway? There's a Galway beers this Saturday which I'm going to if I get off work early so hopefully I'll know a few faces before I go in this time.

yes I'm from Galway! :) but no longer live there so its unlikely I'd make this weekend! I'll send ya a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Been watching this thread for ages. Would really love to go but have a wedding to go to the following weekend so the money is tight :( I go to Galway regular but out of all months, it would have to be this one - is so not fair. Are the AH beers done regular cos def gonna go to the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Maybe
    LizT wrote: »
    Grand.

so how does one dress up as betty?

Advertisement