Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the Seanad is where failed politicians go to retire!!

• 12-03-2013 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭

If this is the kind of nonsense we get in the Seaned, abolish it. I have sat through plenty of movies that lasted longer than 2 hours. Honestly, I really wish idiotic politicians would educate themselves on games before making their idiotic remarks.

http://entertainment.ie/wtf/Danger-Will-Robinson-Fidelma-Healy-Eames-is-coming-for-your-video-games-too/171638.htm

"Quoth the Senator, 'It is only now that research on the addictive nature of these gaming consoles is beginning to emerge. What we need is quick action; and I believe it is not unreasonable to demand some class of a microchip to be installed that shuts the game down after two hours, and that it cannot be restarted for another period of time. We are soon to be putting images on cigarette boxes to prevent smoking because of the impact on health and its addictive quality. This is not far behind in respect of lasting damage. Apart from the health point of view, thousands of our children, teens and even young married men are spending endless hours on these machines. Just ask parents how difficult it is. Prolonged periods of usage is negatively impacting on education outcomes as well as emotional and mental health.'"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

sarumite wrote: »
    If this is the kind of nonsense we get in the Seaned, abolish it. I have sat through plenty of movies that lasted longer than 2 hours. Honestly, I really wish idiotic politicians would educate themselves on games before making their idiotic remarks.

http://entertainment.ie/wtf/Danger-Will-Robinson-Fidelma-Healy-Eames-is-coming-for-your-video-games-too/171638.htm
    "
    I'd listen to her a bit more if she actually obeyed the laws of the state for which she claims to serve.
    Planning, Travel and Motortax for start...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What research is she talking about? She can spout all she wants about research but if she can't back these up by giving examples of this research in high impact factor journals she is just pulling this out of her ass.

Unfortunately the uninformed will think she is talking sense because she sounds like she knows what she is talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

She has some sort of "godawfully stupid idea nobody with an ounce of know-how would endorse" quota to fill as part of her employment contract. That's the only explanation. Shame, really. I'd like to see the Seanad reformed properly, but the way clueless berks like her go on, I can't imagine it'll survive the coming referendum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    What research is she talking about? She can spout all she wants about research but if she can't back these up by giving examples of this research in high impact factor journals she is just pulling this out of her ass.

Unfortunately the uninformed will think she is talking sense because she sounds like she knows what she is talking about.

Probably the same research papers that politicians in America always cite when an anti-game bill is going through, the one that says:

"All games are evil and made by Satan and children are selling their younger siblings into slavery to afford the Pokéymans and...what, you want me to show it to you...oh I cant...but it exists, my neighbours-friends-hairdressers-neighbours-drug dealers-sisters-accountant said it exists...and weel if thats not a credible source, I dont know what is..."

Not that it matters, she is just playing to the technical illiterate part of Irish society thats terrified of this big new scare...even a bigger menace than tha Rap music, D&D, comic books, Rock &/or Roll music, Elvis and his lecherous hips :eek:

I would put it up as her trying to score more votes for an election (which is 95% of an Irish politicans workload) but do Senators get re-elected? Thought they just walked into the Senate, go "Im a Senator now...money plz" and stay there till they die or bugger off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

In fairness though the last edition of D&D was f*cking awful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

For sale:
    New & improved anti-DVT flight socks. Now fully compatible with all electronic game consoles, only €9.99!

(Seaned approval pending)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

"some class of a microchip"

Clearly knows what she's talking about. :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sarky wrote: »
    In fairness though the last edition of D&D was f*cking awful.

It forced me to sell my soul to the new Devil, Pathfinder.

Julez wrote: »
    "some class of a microchip"

Clearly knows what she's talking about. :P

Shows how much you know. The telly told me microchips can do anything. Sure McCain have even used them to create food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I just don't get how sticking a chip onto a game DVD is going to work - sure the damn thing won't fit in the slot - problem solved...

Being serious now - what is she smoking? Let's tackle the gamers cause the drug dealers and pimps and human traffickers are just not serious enough for us here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

a **** stirring idiot is all she is, did ye see her speech on facebook rape.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

She has to make it look like they actually do something in the Seanad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Its kind of funny, she said this 2 years ago nobody cared. Now all of a sudden its been dug up and people are manning the pitchforks and torches. Why are we giving her any attention?!

I think this started on r/ireland this morning or yesterday on Reddit and was picked up by news sites.

Link to post (not making it a link as I dont want to give her traffic)

fidelmahealyeames. ie/2011/08/03/cap-required-on-time-spent-computer-gaming-%E2%80%93-healy-eames/

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

**** her, her opinions are irrelevent, she'll be out of a job by the end of the year if the Govt. actually deliver on the Seanad referendum: I'd say the results of that will make the Falklands one today look like a fight to the finish.
    Fidelma must know it herself, maybe she was fare-dodging and not paying motor tax to save up for the lean days ahead, this recessions tough for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

[sarcasm]THINK OF THE CHILDREN.[/sarcasm]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Somebody should put a muzzle on her or put her somewhere where she doesn't have to open her mouth. She is inexcusably thick and completely ill informed to be commenting on anything like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    [sarcasm]THINK OF THE CHILDREN.[/sarcasm]

You know, you joke about that, but she was on the radio the other day, this time complaining about 'dem social medias bullying our children - and whilst she didn't say the exact above words her entire tirade amounted to "won't someone think of the children?" Hell, she didn't want to be called a senator, but an 'educator'.

More fool us for starting a thread about her tbh; as with all these things, reporting her nonsense logic simply legitimises it and gives it traction that it certainly doesn't deserve. Whatever good intentions she might have, her bleeding-heart rhetoric is so divorced from facts and rational thinking, it only hurts the discussion.

Much like the rest of the Senate though, she's an unelected spoofer & windbag, answering questions nobody asked and wasting the taxpayers money with a sense of entitlement that's typically only equalled by their ignorance on the subjects they waffle about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

First Fraping, now gaming.. she's sucking the very marrow from my bones!

The question is, does or will anyone take her seriously after the hilarious fraping question.."children are being raped...on facebook!"?

To me, she's a gossiping fishwife with no real information and no real threat to what she's opposing. that's two for two now, the next one if she gets that far is bound to be a f**king corker!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

These "microchip" things sound interesting. I wonder could we put them on trains so that people can't use them without a ticket, or maybe we could put them in cars so people can't drive them without tax. Maybe we could even put one in senators to stop them talking crap about things they don't understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Its kind of funny, she said this 2 years ago nobody cared. Now all of a sudden its been dug up and people are manning the pitchforks and torches./

If I remember correctly, people were as up in arms when she said it the first time. I can remember reading it and thinking what a giant numpty she was.

Thought she was after saying it again when it resurfaced. I'm amazed she's still in office. Wish I could get paid that kind of salary for spouting nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

First Fraping, now gaming.. she's sucking the very marrow from my bones!

The question is, does or will anyone take her seriously after the hilarious fraping question.."children are being raped...on facebook!"?

To me, she's a gossiping fishwife with no real information and no real threat to what she's opposing. that's two for two now, the next one if she gets that far is bound to be a f**king corker!

While I wish there was nobody who'd take her serious after that, I don't have that much faith in humanity :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Everything she's blabbling on about can actually be fixed or even avoided by parents taking an active interest in their child's lives, allowing a child to use facebook is dangerous in itself, and not because of bloody fraping, That kind of access to social media needs to be regulated by the parent/s, the exact same goes for gaming.

If you allow your child to sit and play world of warcraft for 12 hours every day you need help, not a microchip, not a nannystate, you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There are times I wonder what politicians would be able to achieve if even a small majority actually focused on either promoting or criticising genuinely worthy societal concerns. Then I mentally chide myself for being so naively idealistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

As has been proven by numerous examples of her sterling behaviour as a representative of the people she is a twit of the highest order and deserves to be ignored completely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If senators spoke on pragmatic and pressing issues, that might involve debating their very worth & why the Senate is allowed to continue its existence. Turkeys voting for Christmas and all that. Much easier to waffle about perceived social pariahs such as videogames and peddle some mistruths.

What she's doing in many ways is genius because it's all pitched so over-emotively, and because she puts children at the very forefront of her tirade, that it instantly puts those trying to use such heady concepts as logic, facts & common sense on the defensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

This is what happens when you let the unions pick who gets to be a senator (she's elected through the Labour panel). :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

sarumite wrote: »

"Quoth the Senator, 'It is only now that research on the addictive nature of these gaming consoles is beginning to emerge. What we need is quick action; and I believe it is not unreasonable to demand some class of a microchip to be installed that shuts the game down after two hours, and that it cannot be restarted for another period of time. We are soon to be putting images on cigarette boxes to prevent smoking because of the impact on health and its addictive quality. This is not far behind in respect of lasting damage. Apart from the health point of view, thousands of our children, teens and even young married men are spending endless hours on these machines. Just ask parents how difficult it is. Prolonged periods of usage is negatively impacting on education outcomes as well as emotional and mental health.'"

I remember my old, grey gameboy had technology like that years ago. It was called Parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

stevenmu wrote: »
    Maybe we could even put one in senators to stop them talking crap about things they don't understand.

Bit of a money pit, the rate our beloved Senators spew out BS they would blow the chip out in minutes....and thats only if someone asks if they want butter or mayo on their lunchtime roll down the Spar or whatever :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

pixelburp wrote: »
    Much like the rest of the Senate though, she's an unelected spoofer & windbag, answering questions nobody asked and wasting the taxpayers money with a sense of entitlement that's typically only equalled by their ignorance on the subjects they waffle about.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I remember my old, grey gameboy had technology like that years ago. It was called Parents.

The Atari Lynx had that as well, it was called batteries

Advertisement