Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grange Castle membership

• 12-03-2013 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm thinking of joining Grange Castle on a 5 day full membership job, so I can play golf in the upcoming lovely summer evenings!

Does anyone have an idea of the numbers of members at this club, or an idea of how busy it would be in the summer? i.e. OK for someone to play a few on his own, or jammers packed.

I'm new to Dublin - could anyone suggest an alternative course that would suit my needs? i.e. less than a grand to join and reasonably quiet for evening golf.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Where abouts are you living? I know ajcurry recently joined grange castle so he might be able to help you out more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,293 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Hi, ya, I joined a few weeks back on the 7 day membership.
    Only played it once so far but happy enough with the decision.
    You have to be on the ball to get your preferred times at weekends at present, but you'll def get out as comp is run over sat/sun.
    I was told its handy enough to get out in the evenings over the summer but cant be 100% as I'm just in the door.

You've also got the 7 hole course to fall back on as an alternative.

There's a few of us on here that are members, Spacecoyote has been a member for a few years. He might be able to fill you in better with regards getting out over the summer weekday evenings.

More than happy to get out with you for a few rounds if you join.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Anyone know why grange castle don't run opens?

Are they planning too?

Is it something to do with it being a corpo course and not privately run???

It would be a nice handy open on my doorstep if there was one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,602 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Hi OP.

You won't have any trouble getting out generally speaking Monday-Friday. As AJ was saying below the weekly competitions are predominantly run at the weekend only.

During the Summer months they have run a Wednesday competition over 10 weeks for the last couple of years, so I assume that they will be doing the same this year. That might be the only day that you find any competition for tee times mid week, but again, you should be able to get a spot without too much difficulty.

Think they also usually run a re-entry competition at some stage in the year too, and pretty sure they run an extra qualifying day for the captains prize on a midweek day too.

Hope that helps.

As to Open Days, to be honest, I'm not 100%, but if my memory serves me correct they make a lot of the midweek competitions open? You'd be better off giving them a call to confirm, but I think I can remember looking at results of competitions and seeing some of the results listed as "Away"

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

This is my 3rd year as a full member, there usually no problem getting out in the evenings during the summer, except for a Wednesday evening which can be pretty busy from about 3pm on till about 6.30pm as they run a mid week competition, I think it is usually a 9 hole re-entrant comp. But you can still get out on the 7 hole course no problem, it's a turn up and play on it, with no timesheet. On the weekends if you want to get out in the 7am -9am slots on a Saturday or Sunday for the week-end competition you have to have your name in quick, usually by the previous Sunday night, otherwise there are usually plenty of slots later on in the morning/day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 e02bf081

Cheers for the responses lads, I see there's also a free range there behind the 1st tee which I think will seal the deal!

didnt even know about the 7 hole course. what length holes are they?

one final question - do you need to book the timesheets in the evenings or can you just show up no bother? e.g. at 7pm.

e02bf081 wrote: »
    Cheers for the responses lads, I see there's also a free range there behind the 1st tee which I think will seal the deal!

didnt even know about the 7 hole course. what length holes are they?

one final question - do you need to book the timesheets in the evenings or can you just show up no bother? e.g. at 7pm.

Just a word of warning re the range, I didn't actually know there was one there before I joined up.
    To call it a range is not be completely accurate because my understanding is that it is just an "range like" field where you can go out and hit your own balls, not range balls.
    I don't think it's big enough to take out the driver or woods....maybe members that have used it may clarify this
    It looks like a handy practice facility but to call it a range wouldn't be fair, and I'm pretty sure the club doesn't advertise it as being one.
    It's free to use, so you can't knock that.

The 7 holes were all formerly part of the old 18 hole course so they're all decent holes.
    I haven't played it yet but a member said the greens can be better standard than the ones on the main course.
    Many members jump out onto it and play a couple of the holes to loosen up before they play competition.

1st Par 4 330yards
    2nd Par 4 383yards
    3rd Par 4 293yards
    4th Par 3 161yards
    5th Par 4 432yards
    6th Par 3 170yards
    7th Par 4 416yards

There's an online booking tool available (BRS) for members, so I suppose like anywhere, it'd be best to use that for the evenings.
    Don't think any course could guarantee a 7 pm slot if you just turned up, but at least there are plenty of options available.
    The putting green is very good out there as well.

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    Just a word of warning re the range, I didn't actually know there was one there before I joined up.
    To call it a range is not be completely accurate because my understanding is that it is just an "range like" field where you can go out and hit your own balls, not range balls.
    I don't think it's big enough to take out the driver or woods....maybe members that have used it may clarify this
    It looks like a handy practice facility but to call it a range wouldn't be fair, and I'm pretty sure the club doesn't advertise it as being one.
    It's free to use, so you can't knock that.

The 7 holes were all formerly part of the old 18 hole course so they're all decent holes.
    I haven't played it yet but a member said the greens can be better standard than the ones on the main course.
    Many members jump out onto it and play a couple of the holes to loosen up before they play competition.

1st Par 4 330yards
    2nd Par 4 383yards
    3rd Par 4 293yards
    4th Par 3 161yards
    5th Par 4 432yards
    6th Par 3 170yards
    7th Par 4 416yards

There's an online booking tool available (BRS) for members, so I suppose like anywhere, it'd be best to use that for the evenings.
    Don't think any course could guarantee a 7 pm slot if you just turned up, but at least there are plenty of options available.
    The putting green is very good out there as well.

Spot on there AJ, its an open field, no bays or mats in it and they don't supply balls, so I wouldn't call it a range. If you hit from the top corner (behind the practice net) and aim at the diagonal opposite corner it should be plenty long enough for driver, though it would be slightly risky if you're spraying balls, as there is no net along the edge of it, so you've only the trees to prevent balls landing on the driveway in to the course. It is handy to go out & hit a few wedges in to loosed up before a round though.

The putting green is pretty good alright with some pretty difficult slopes. Behind the putting green there is a second small chipping green which is handy too.

The second & fourth greens of the old 7 holes tie back in nicely towards the clubhouse if you're looking at a couple of warm up holes.

BRS is in place for online booking and the course is on HowDidIDo if you want to track your results in competitions, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

AJ and space should be on commission for grange castle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Are the old holes visible from the road? It must be 10 or 12 years since I played it. Must go out a give it a bash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

Yea, they're the ones you can see at the nangor road/outer ring road junction, you can sldo see some of the new 9 from further along the outer ring road up towards the naas road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Hey, sorry for bringing up an old thread. I'm signing up this week, has anyone got lessons here? What are the guys like and where do they do them?

Beau wrote: »
    Hey, sorry for bringing up an old thread. I'm signing up this week, has anyone got lessons here? What are the guys like and where do they do them?

Haven't got lessons up there, but let me know if you're looking for someone to
    sign a card etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭brick tamland

AJ/Space

Whats it like getting out on a Saturday/Sunday morning? Hard to get a good spot?

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

I joined earlier this year in Feb. Its a decent track but I would be honest in having a gripe about about the lack of practice facilities that you would find at other clubs for similar money. No practice bunker and the chipping green/area is quite limited in size. The putting green is very good as is the extra 7 holes that I have used for warming up. The bunkers lack sand and are quite compacted. No issues in getting out to play but the early tee-times for the competitions do fill up rapidly as soon as there live on the system. and all the folks I've met to date have been friendly enough.

How ya doin brick, Saturday tends to fill up very quickly as the ladies competition are run that morning too so there are limited slots. You'd really want to be online in the 1st 10 mins after timesheet opens. Slots are maybe 7.30-9.30

Sunday tends to be pretty much no problem, depending on the slots you're looking for. Tee box is generally from 7.30-11.30.

You can get plenty of other slots to play the comps later on both days, but those are the times where only members can be out on the course. Later in the day you'd be mingled in with the societies etc...

As to the lessons, not 100% on how they run them. There is an open area at the back of the first tee that they appear to have added some markings to, plus the putting & chipping green.

I know with the last pro that was there they used to do some on-course playing lessons, so maybe its the same, the old back 7 holes is a decent spot to get practice in.

Either that or maybe they do the lessons down the road on Newcastle driving range?

Lads in clubhouse would give you a definitive answer

AJ/Space

Whats it like getting out on a Saturday/Sunday morning? Hard to get a good spot?

cheers

You do need to be on the ball to guarantee an early-mid morning tee.

Saying that, I'm still not seasoned in being at the ready, and have had to leave it till midweek to confirm a few times recently.
    I've never missed out on a decent spot but I may be pushing my luck at this stage.
    Booked a 9am slot today for Sunday(this evening), jumped in with 2 others.

First experience of booking member comps, I'm sure they're all a bit hectic for the best spots but I'd say its safe to say it'd be on the busier side of normal.

That's an awful long way of saying. Yes, I think so ;)

Edit:
    Space is the senior salesman, go with what he says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Cheers lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Just seen on the website that the pay and play membership is down to 210 with a payment plan . That's sounds very reasonable . I might look in to it the weekend

Yep 210 through to march 2014 for pay & play. I'd imagine it prob jumps about 20 quid to throw in the golfsure insurance if you want it?

Not sure on payment plan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Do you get to use the 7 hole course free of charge with the P+P membership ?

Can't remember for sure Danny, I don't think it's free, I'm out there tonight and will ask.

The full is also down, it's at €560 now, I'm sure your doing the calculations like I did, if you're playing anything over 25 rounds a year it starts to make sense.

I wasn't sure about it myself but went for the Full, and I'm glad I did now, I should hit 25 rounds by the end of July and then whatever comes after that is a saving.
    I think you're relatively new enough to the game? It's my first year a member, I'd definitely recommend the Full as it does give you that push to get out more (which I needed anyway)

With the way they allow installments(fairly flexible), you shouldn't end up spending more than you would on the P&P per month + green fees.

I'll get back later on tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Can't remember for sure Danny, I don't think it's free, I'm out there tonight and will ask.

The full is also down, it's at €560 now, I'm sure your doing the calculations like I did, if you're playing anything over 25 rounds a year it starts to make sense.

I wasn't sure about it myself but went for the Full, and I'm glad I did now, I should hit 25 rounds by the end of July and then whatever comes after that is a saving.
    I think you're relatively new enough to the game? It's my first year a member, I'd definitely recommend the Full as it does give you that push to get out more (which I needed anyway)

With the way they allow installments(fairly flexible), you shouldn't end up spending more than you would on the P&P per month + green fees.

I'll get back later on tonight.

What way do their instalments work aj?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

No, it's a tenner, which is crazy...

Jimdagym wrote: »
    What way do their instalments work aj?

I pay a few bob when they remind me :)

You can set up a DD but I paid 150 on signing and I hand in about 70-100 a month.
    Thinking back, I don't think they told me how much deposit to pay, and they didn't specify a monthly amount... They're flexible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I pay a few bob when they remind me :)

You can set up a DD but I paid 150 on signing and I hand in about 70-100 a month.
    Thinking back, I don't think they told me how much deposit to pay, and they didn't specify a monthly amount... They're flexible.

Certainly are!
    Balcarrick had something similar before I think. You could keep throwing a few quid behind the bar every time you were in, once it was in by a certain date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Joined this course earlier this week on the pay and play. Have managed to get out for two rounds so far and had another member join me as he teed off just after me, was very nice and also marked my card which was appreciated. Nice course for the price you pay in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

A bump of an old thread, but just wondering what it is like these days? Anyone a member there?
    I'm basically looking for somewhere to play some Saturdays in the comp, I'd be the first name on the time sheet sort of thing. And some evenings during the summer.
    Anybody know what it is like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,048 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

A bump of an old thread, but just wondering what it is like these days? Anyone a member there?
    I'm basically looking for somewhere to play some Saturdays in the comp, I'd be the first name on the time sheet sort of thing. And some evenings during the summer.
    Anybody know what it is like?

I was a member back in 2017, nice club, nice course, greens are fantastic. Seems perfect for your needs. Well managed.

Only negatives imo would be no real clubhouse for food/drinks and it's extremely busy course, possibly the busiest in Ireland. Hard to get on the time sheet, plenty of society's also which makes it harder to get into the competitions.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

been a member the last 2 years and will more than likely renew this year. In general weekend time sheet fills up quickly for sat/sun comps have to been online on Monday morning when they open. They have a waiting list for comps too and generally get a slot near the end of the week.

would agree with what mantis says generally a very busy club with lots of societies out and clubhouse would be better if they had some sort of food service. All in all i find it a good club with friendly members and synergy golf are improving the place year on year

Advertisement