Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grade 6 Theory Exam ABRSM

Options
  • 12-03-2013 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Right so I was wondering if it's a bit ambitious hoping to get my Grade 6 Theory exam on June 15th having never done a theory exam before. I've got my Senior Cert done in practical piano and honours Leaving Certificate in Music about 10 years ago but I know I have a lot to do before June .... 90 days until the exam ... am I mad? Is there too much to do?? I have the books and am starting lessons on Thursday but wanted an impartial input!!

Oh and I need it to get into a course in September ... hence the urgency in doing it in June! :/

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

No harm in giving it a go. Might be a bit ambitious if your theory is rusty but spending a solid 30-40 minutes a day should get you there. Many theory classes cover the grade 6 course in a single school year with a single class a week, so theoretically it's plausible to cover the same material in a shorter, more concentrated period of time. And if you don't pass it in June, you'll have all the hard work done to tackle it in the winter session.

EDIT: If it's for a course are you sure you don't just need grade 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ruth_wex

If it's for a course are you sure you don't just need grade 5?

Yeah I need minimum of either grade 8 practical and grade 6 theory OR a degree in music .. since my degree ain't in music and I already have the senior cert I figured the grade 6 theory is the only (but pretty big) obstacle!

Ah I see. Well I say go for it anyway. Get a private tutor if you can. Buy lots of the past papers (they're pretty cheap, maybe €3-4, and each year has 4 papers inside) and just blast through them. I'm sure you'll do well :)

Feck it you're right sure, might as well! Thanks for the vote of confidence! :)

Here's a few books that should help (I used all of them):

- The AB Guide To Music Theory, Parts I and II. Quite a useful resource.
    - ABRSM Theory Workbook (Grade 6) - walks you through how to do each section of the paper
    - Lots of past papers. They're sold individually by year. You can also get model answers for these, which might be helpful if you can't get a teacher to correct your papers for you.

Have fun :)

• Advertisement

Thanks a million! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Here's a few books that should help (I used all of them):

- The AB Guide To Music Theory, Parts I and II. Quite a useful resource.
    - ABRSM Theory Workbook (Grade 6) - walks you through how to do each section of the paper
    - Lots of past papers. They're sold individually by year. You can also get model answers for these, which might be helpful if you can't get a teacher to correct your papers for you.

Have fun :)

Second those 3 , AB guide (both books) pretty much helped me through music degree,

Also get yourself over to the ABRSM website, if I remember correctly theres a theory forum in there somewhere, (although support your local boardsies and ask here first!)

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

I find this website really good, it breaks things down much more than the AB books do.

mymusictheory.com

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

I'm also doing my exam tomorrow D: I've had classes all year and I passed all the grades before grade 6 but I'm kinda worried since you need 66% to pass..How do I pass?!?!?!?

I'm starting to get worried.. I did my exam on June 16th and still haven't got a certificate in the post. If you don't get one does that mean you failed? Has anyone else got their results yet? Someone please answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

MomijiHime wrote: »
    I'm starting to get worried.. I did my exam on June 16th and still haven't got a certificate in the post. If you don't get one does that mean you failed? Has anyone else got their results yet? Someone please answer

Did you enter yourself? No matter what your result you will get your mark sheet in the post so I wouldn't worry about the length of time. They are normally out sooner though....If you entered yourself you should be able to login and check it online, that's what I do when i enter students!

If a teacher entered you, chances are the results are gone to their house and they just aren't contacting people during the summer. If I remember correctly I got exam results for my students about 2 weeks ago from AB summer exams so I would expect the results to be out by now.

MomijiHime wrote: »

You'll get a result regardless of whether you passed or failed, with a sheet explaining what marks you got and where. However with my old teacher, they were all sent to him and he insisted on keeping them til September and giving them to us personally to discuss them. My current school sends them straight on.

If you need the result for something, just call up whoever put you in for examination and ask after it.

Did you enter yourself? No matter what your result you will get your mark sheet in the post so I wouldn't worry about the length of time. They are normally out sooner though....If you entered yourself you should be able to login and check it online, that's what I do when i enter students!

If a teacher entered you, chances are the results are gone to their house and they just aren't contacting people during the summer. If I remember correctly I got exam results for my students about 2 weeks ago from AB summer exams so I would expect the results to be out by now.
    You'll get a result regardless of whether you passed or failed, with a sheet explaining what marks you got and where. However with my old teacher, they were all sent to him and he insisted on keeping them til September and giving them to us personally to discuss them. My current school sends them straight on.

If you need the result for something, just call up whoever put you in for examination and ask after it.

Thanks! It's reassuring to hear that. I go to a music school and had a different theory teacher this year so maybe that's why I haven't got it yet..

Advertisement