Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online gaming broadband

Options
  • 12-03-2013 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey I'm recently moving house and therefore out of eircoms exchange, the only reason I have broadband in is for online gaming and as you can imagine I'm pretty upset that I won't have good wired broadband for downloading movies and Xbox etc etc , I'm not keen on the idea of these 3 mobile broadband and Vodafone mobile broad bands and def not the qsat as I hear its terrible !! So can anyone let me know if the 3 mobile or Vodafone broadband is any good for online gaming (black ops 2) thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,158 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I suppose it depends on the area you are in but generally its not good enough for gaming

It shouldnt even be called broadband anyway

Where are you located now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

When I visit my folks place I bring my gaming laptop, they're on vodafone broadband and to be honest it's not too bad*, download and upload speeds aren't the greatest, but it does the job. Downloading game updates would be annoying as hell though on that connection.

*Can ping most UK servers 30-45ms (CS and CS:GO servers) BF3 Servers UK/FR/DE/NL between 40-65ms

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Padz13

Headshot wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on the area you are in but generally its not good enough for gaming

It shouldnt even be called broadband anyway

Where are you located now?

Thanks for getting back to me , I'm up in Donegal living outside carrigart which is well outside letterkenny, I know the people across the road from me have 3mobile broadband and they seem happy enough ... But I can't imagine them playing black ops and the such lol

ElChe32 wrote: »
    When I visit my folks place I bring my gaming laptop, they're on vodafone broadband and to be honest it's not too bad*, download and upload speeds aren't the greatest, but it does the job. Downloading game updates would be annoying as hell though on that connection.

*Can ping most UK servers 30-45ms (CS and CS:GO servers) BF3 Servers UK/FR/DE/NL between 40-65ms

Well that sounds a little positive , if I'm going to get it I'm gonna go for the best package that I can get ... And yea I can only imagine how **** it would be trying to download games and DLC to my Xbox !! So you reckon that playing games online ain't to bad then? Your on pc wonder if console would make a difference , and what Games have u played ? Thanks for getting back to me

• Registered Users Posts: 54,158 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Have you looked into wireless broadband in the area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Padz13 wrote: »
    Well that sounds a little positive , if I'm going to get it I'm gonna go for the best package that I can get ... And yea I can only imagine how **** it would be trying to download games and DLC to my Xbox !! So you reckon that playing games online ain't to bad then? Your on pc wonder if console would make a difference , and what Games have u played ? Thanks for getting back to me

You will have a horrible connection for gaming on mobile Broadband, If your playing Black ops you will be on a red, yellow (1-2bar) most of the time which is unplayable if you usually play on a green bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I have a 3 dongle and its basically a step up from land line - speeds are normally about 1 mbps rarely they go up to about 3 mbps when everyone else is in work! (Dublin 15).

iMuse wrote: »
    You will have a horrible connection for gaming on mobile Broadband, If your playing Black ops you will be on a red, yellow (1-2bar) most of the time which is unplayable if you usually play on a green bar.

Thanks mate , that's what I was afraid off !! Well I'm now refusing to move to that area which is causing problems at home now !! Broadband is as important to me as running water ... In a few years TVs and everything will prob depend on broadband !

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Does anyone on here have an xbox working on vodafone mobile broadband ?
    trying to get it to work but without any joy keeps telling me something about MTU ?

That's what in trying to find out and if you read some of the posts it's supposed to be terrible connection !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 _Rois_

Does anyone on here have totally reliable, good high speed broadband (outside the Pale!)? Who's the best to go with for gaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Headshot wrote: »
    Have you looked into wireless broadband in the area?

+1 This is what I have. 20Mb and pings stay below 30ms. Fixed wireless is what you'll want if you game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Just so you know speed wont affect gaming at all, the ping is all that matters. No game uses more than 1mb so just make sure you get the best ping you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

As Headshot and uncle_sam_ie mentioned, fixed wireless is the way to go. If all you want is online gaming, you can get a fairly cheap 2mbps symmetrical package from nearly anywhere, ping times will generally be better than eircom dsl. Also, because it's symmetrical, you can get 2mbps upload, meaning you can pull host more often in games.

Edit: didn't realise this was a 1 year old thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 _Rois_

Thanks guys, I'm looking at Eircom fibre broadband. Is anyone else with them? Any good? (as you've probably noticed this sort of thing is not my strong suit!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Vodafone Mobile Broadband:

3467310007.png

96704281.png

Not best in the world, but still does online gaming nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

GarIT wrote: »
    Just so you know speed wont affect gaming at all, the ping is all that matters. No game uses more than 1mb so just make sure you get the best ping you can.

I wouldn't say that packets travel faster from your home with better internet speeds. If you had a head on shooting fight on a mutiplayer game with someone else, and you both pressed the trigger at the exact same time. I would bet the guy with the faster internet speeds would win.

KIERAN1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that packets travel faster from your home with better internet speeds. If you had a head on shooting fight on a mutiplayer game with someone else, and you both pressed the trigger at the exact same time. I would bet the guy with the faster internet speeds would win.

A shot being fired in an online multiplayer game uses 1kb of data or less, having a higher bandwidth will make no difference, latency (ping) is all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

_Rois_ wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I'm looking at Eircom fibre broadband. Is anyone else with them? Any good? (as you've probably noticed this sort of thing is not my strong suit!)

It's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

A shot being fired in an online multiplayer game uses 1kb of data or less, having a higher bandwidth will make no difference, latency (ping) is all that matters.

It matters when he needs to download new content or a new game. So you would want a 10meg line or higher, so you aren't waiting around too long.

• Advertisement

red_bairn wrote: »
    It matters when he needs to download new content or a new game. So you would want a 10meg line or higher, so you aren't waiting around too long.

That is true but when looking for broadband specifically for gaming the bandwidth would be an afterthought for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

That is true but when looking for broadband specifically for gaming the bandwidth would be an afterthought for me.

I'd go along with this too

I have pretty poor bandwidth but the exchange is literally outside my window so my ping is usually in the 10-30ms range which does me fine

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

Again i disagree. Saying internet speeds don't matter is nonsense.

Some factors that might affect ping include: network protocol engineering, Internet connection speed, the quality of a user's Internet service provider and the configuration of firewalls. Ping is also affected by geographical location.

Internet connection speeds do matter.

1kb of data is too low. How long you play for? I play Battlefield 4 on the x box 1 64 player multiplayer (game mode conquest) For me know way is the game only using 1kb of data, when i am online.

Shot fired using 1kb of data only can you back that statement up with a source?

Some factors that might affect ping include: network protocol engineering, Internet connection speed, the quality of a user's Internet service provider and the configuration of firewalls. Ping is also affected by geographical location.

1kb of data is too low. How long you play for? I play Battlefield 4 on the x box 1 64 player multiplayer (game mode conquest) For me know way is the game only using 1kb of data, when i am online.

Shot fired using 1kb of data only can you back that statement up with a source?

Just imagine if a game even used 1mb per second any average gamer would break their usage allowance. There is no way you need more than 1mb for online gaming. Ping is not affected by internet speed or by geographical location, the only affect location has on it is the relative location between both ends of the communication, internet speed has no affect on ping.

Do you have any idea what you are talking about? How on earth would the length of time you play for affect the bandwidth needed?

A shot being fired in an online game would only need a minimal amount of data, you could 50 lines of information into a kb easily, there is no way you need that for a shot.

Source? I'm a Software developer.

network protocol engineering

What exactly do you mean by that? a ping is an icmp request, I don't follow what you mean when you say 'network protocol engineering'

Hopped into a game of Arma 3 with around 50 people in the server.

8wjQD.png

My computer uses about 100kbps on it's own, so Arma was using around 80kbps up and down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

This post makes no sense. Latency is what determines how accurate you are in game, having 1 or 100Mb downstream makes no difference.

Here's a source, I've been gaming online mainly FPS with different connection speeds/ISP's since 1997.

The end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

nuxxx wrote: »
    This post makes no sense. Latency is what determines how accurate you are in game, having 1 or 100Mb downstream makes no difference.

Here's a source, I've been gaming online mainly FPS with different connection speeds/ISP's since 1997.

The end.

If you've played so much online (especially FPS's) you'd know that while DL is irrelevant, UL is not.

If you want to have the best chance possible online, you need both good pings, and a good upload.

If you've played so much online (especially FPS's) you'd know that while DL is irrelevant, UL is not.

If you want to have the best chance possible online, you need both good pings, and a good upload.

only if the game is p2p based, if it uses dedicated servers, upload speed doesn't really matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

only if the game is p2p based, if it uses dedicated servers, upload speed doesn't really matter.

Competitive Console FPS is P2P.

• Advertisement

Competitive Console FPS is P2P.

nuxxx has been playing since 1997 so I don't really think it was on his console.

Advertisement