Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online gaming broadband

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

nuxxx has been playing since 1997 so I don't really think it was on his console.

The OP who originally made the thread plays on console.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

The OP who originally made the thread plays on console.

Yeah, you see the thing is, the posts from OP are over a year old, then this thread got necroposted, and then people started arguing for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Yes just to clarify I meant PC games like quake

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mindfulness

As Headshot and uncle_sam_ie mentioned, fixed wireless is the way to go. If all you want is online gaming, you can get a fairly cheap 2mbps symmetrical package from nearly anywhere, ping times will generally be better than eircom dsl. Also, because it's symmetrical, you can get 2mbps upload, meaning you can pull host more often in games.

Edit: didn't realise this was a 1 year old thread.
    What do you mean by fixed wireless? What is that? Apologies for the newb question.
    BeerWolf wrote: »
    Vodafone Mobile Broadband:

3467310007.png

96704281.png

Not best in the world, but still does online gaming nicely.
    Are you likely to get those speeds no matter where you are in the country or do you have to be beside a mast?

What do you mean by fixed wireless? What is that? Apologies for the newb question.

Fixed wireless is like wifi on a larger scale. Wifi antennas that you will find in your home router and your mobile phones are omni-directional, meaning they don't have to be pointing in a particular direction for them to connect, which is great for convenience, but not very good for distance.
    With fixed wireless, the antennas used are directional, so they have to be pointing in the general direction of one and other, but because of this, they can go longer distances(~20km as the crow flies, much better than dsl(~5km along the poles)).

Fixed wireless need line of sight though, so if you live in the middle of a forest, it is not going to work.

Think of it like this: The bandwidth, latency, and reliability are much like the wifi in your home, so not as good as a wired connection(ethernet, they actually tend to be better than adsl), but better than a 3g connection.

Providers usually offer between 2-20mbps and because they are not asynchronous like dsl, it means they can offer better upload speeds than dsl as well.

I am not an expert in the area by any means, but I do use this type of equipment to connect my grandmother's house to the internet, and it works really well.

Applications:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mindfulness

Fixed wireless need line of sight though, so if you live in the middle of a forest, it is not going to work.

Ah, okay. Probably won't work for me given the ridiculous geography where I'll be moving to :(

Ah, okay. Probably won't work for me given the ridiculous geography where I'll be moving to :(

Line of sight from the top of your house to the top of a really tall mast though, so you never know, check out Ireland Offline to see which providers are available, then you can get mast locations from those providers and look at elevation maps on google earth to see if you can get line of sight.

Also, even if you don't have direct line of sight, 1 line of trees isn't going to do that much damage, just as long as it's not a forest, haha.

This is all if you want to do research on your own, if not, just find out which providers are available and they will do the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Are you likely to get those speeds no matter where you are in the country or do you have to be beside a mast?

Connection's pretty consistent between 6MB to the 9MB shown above, ping's always around the 30-60ms mark.

I'm short of 4km from the mast.

Advertisement