Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Most Boring Personality in Football

• 12-03-2013 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

Saw an interview with former Man United midfielder Bryan Robson on SSN last night and the more he rambled on in that monotone voice of his, the more I felt myself losing the will to live.

Painfully boring.

Can anyone top that? Who's a more dull interview? Opinions please!

:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

if you'd class him as having a personality, then Ronnie Whelan has to be up there, along with Packie Bonner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Alan Shearer. Absolutely no personality at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Steve Staunton.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Frank Stapleton?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Andy Andrew Cole.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Steven Gerrard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Kenny Dalglish. Always miserable and can never understand a word he says. Gordon McQueen also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Andy Andrew Cole.

That's a good shout actually, as is Packie Bonner.
    Tinie wrote: »
    Steven Gerrard.

I think he falls in to the category of post match cliche interview. He seems to be a laugh away from football I would say.

People probably mixing up personality with Tv personna.

Dalglish for one was supposed to be great crack in the dressing room, serious messer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Paul McShane.

Just stands there looking dumbfounded, regardless of the situation..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Giggs. Had the misfortune to hear an interview of his with Tom Dunne to promote his yoga DVD. Worst interview ever. Every time i've heard him over the past 20 odd years he bores me (Giggs, not Dunne).

That guy Graham Kelly (?) from the FA years ago was so boring i quite liked him in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Michael Owen for the win. God he is painful, him branching out to punditry now is very very worrying. His twitter as well...awful. I follow him just to marvel at how boring one man can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Giggs really is devoid of any personality, have heard countless interviews with him in informal settings and he is certainly a "craic free zone"

Michael Owen although more intelligent is equally as bland. Does his best to offend nobody.

Ian Rush deserves an honourable mention, not the sharpest tool in the box thats for sure.

More good shouts, Michael Owen's commentary was so so bad and dull during a match recently I nearly switched over.

Also Giggs, another monotone voice that goes nowhere and says nothing interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Don't think Giggs is a craic free zone going by his off field antics and former teammates stories, just a very well coached and trained person when dealing with the media.

Be boring, give them nothing to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I find almost all are boring when it comes to interviews. They're not TV personalities, they play football and get stuck in front of a camera now and again. It's no reflection on their actual personality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Most footballers are so boring. That's why I love Barton. He's not your typical goes out to play golf to wind down academy 'educated' footballer. Those academys I reckon take all the personality out of people. Football becomes their one and only focus in life. Terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Most footballers are so boring. That's why I love Barton. He's not your typical goes out to play golf to wind down academy 'educated' footballer. Those academys I reckon take all the personality out of people. Football becomes their one and only focus in life. Terrible.

His so called personality has resulted in him being effectively booted out of English football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Look at MOTD and GSS. I may not agree with everything Paul Merson, Phil Thompson, Le Tissier or Charlie Nicholas say but they are entertaining at least. Compare that to Shearer, Lawerson, Hansen, Dixon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

There's a difference between having a personality and a personality disorder though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

He's funny tho, did you see his tweets about Bieber? Could you imagine Steven 'did it for the fans' Gerrard going head to head with Beliebers on Twitter.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

He's funny tho, did you see his tweets about Bieber? Could you imagine Steven 'did it for the fans' Gerrard going head to head with Beliebers on Twitter.

I imagine he has far, far better things to be doing

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

John Giles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Jay Spearing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ray-Wilkins-007.jpg

=
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZPnYl0TNumHCknveSjWPK5DEYq1x7uuTgijzk_J75Hka_fMSm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I think Barton is hilarious. What did he say about Bieber?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Roy Hogdson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Paul McShane.

Just stands there looking dumbfounded, regardless of the situation..
    He still hasn't gotten over the fact that someone was stupid enough to actually pay him to play football :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Lou Macari, not only has he a dull monotonous voice, he is so negative with his comments. But even when he does manage to praise someone it sounds as if he is being critical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jamie Redknapp has to be worth a shout.

So may words and so little said.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

Paul Scholes

Niall Quinn?

I know what people are saying, about differentiating a persons personality at home to their character on the pitch, but I love to see someone's real personality come out while on the pitch and smile when they're playing, doesn't happen too often these days.

The other day when Tony Gubba died I saw an interview he did with Vinnie Jones, Dennis Wise, Lawrie Sanchez and the keeper (Dave Beasant?) after Wimbledon beat Liverpool in the FA Cup final and it was hilarious! Real personality! No scripted bullshít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Jamie Redknapp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Gary Linekar anyone? Him and his fcuking puns...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ray-Wilkins-007.jpg
    Ah he was brilliant in The Addams Family.

$(KGrHqFHJEoE913Dt66fBPiWfYpK0g~~60_35.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Howard Wilkinson and David Pleat deserve honorary mentions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

It's got to be Andy Townsend he makes a game of football feel like a documentary .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Robbie Fowler has lost his mojo.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Alex MCleish or Steve Staunton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

God, thers a long list of bores, let us be grateful for personalities like Eamon D and Paolo di Canio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

McLeish is up there. Dour, Scottish and unemployable in any other industry.

Honorary mention to Robbie Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Too many to mention .....

It would be handier to list the ones that are interesting and easy to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Niall Quinn?.

When Sunderland played an exhibition match in Athlone about 4 or 5 years ago Niall Quinn did an after dinner speech and had the room in stitches for about 90 minutes.

Then post match he stood at the bar of the Sheraton and entertained anyone that wanted to have a pint and a chat into the wee hours.

Roy Keane was at the same yoke.Even the elevator wouldn't go near that boring c*nt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Rooney?

I have only really ever seen him in his TV show but he sounded so monotone and devoid of a personality, I had to stop watching it after a few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Kenny Cunningham too springs to mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

farna_boy wrote: »
    Rooney?

I have only really ever seen him in his TV show but he sounded so monotone and devoid of a personality, I had to stop watching it after a few minutes.

He's just extremely shy under a camera. By all accounts he's one of the biggest messers in the Utd dressing room. Also he's wound quite a few people up on twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ray-Wilkins-007.jpg

=
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZPnYl0TNumHCknveSjWPK5DEYq1x7uuTgijzk_J75Hka_fMSm
    My word!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

farna_boy wrote: »
    Rooney?

He has a very itchy face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

markesmith wrote: »
    McLeish is up there. Dour, Scottish and unemployable in any other industry.

Honorary mention to Robbie Keane.

Anyone remember the 3 completion around Xmas, where you could win a skyp chat with Robbie Keane? It was on off the ball. Robbin was charismatic as always :pac:

Surprised to see people mention giggs, Rooney and Gerrard. Any man banging his brothers wife is a lot of things, but boring he isn't

As for Rooney and Gerrard, both seemed like a bit of craic when I've seen them relax a bit in interviews. Gerrard on goals on Sunday was a bit of a laugh, while Rooney on the utd's Xmas charades thing was gas, ripping it out of beckham and fergie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Frank Lampard, did any f ye see him on A League of Their Own? Boring as paint

• Advertisement
Advertisement