Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Most Boring Personality in Football

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Alan Shearer, the king of the missing personality.

I was reminded of this line by Nick Hancock on "They think it's all over" years back...

"Alan Shearer was so excited when he won the PFA Player of the year award that he immediately went home, ran into the bedroom, picked up his wife, threw her on the bed and hoovered where she was standing."

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭zztop

David Squeaky beckham wins by a mile
    Turd:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jason Todd wrote: »

I think he (Gerard) falls in to the category of post match cliche interview. He seems to be a laugh away from football I would say.

Unless you're a dj who won't play 'his' music.:pac:

Ray Wilkins gets my vote,sounds like he should be commentating on snooker & spouts out a constant stream of cliches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Gary Neville, try to avoid sky sports matches when he is commentating.
    My idea of torture listening to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Sven Goran Erikson was a pundit on La Liga games a few times before and my god he was atrocious.

Hoddle offers nothing in my book either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Gary Neville, try to avoid sky sports matches when he is commentating.
    My idea of torture listening to him.

Not brilliant as a co-commentator but superb as a pundit,his knowledge of the game is amazing & puts the other Sky pundits in the ha'penny place.
    Even die hard Liverpool fans have taken to him as an analyst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Gareth Crooks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Tony adams, Lee dixon, martin Keown. Christ they're painful,

you'd think adams with all his drinking would have an even remotely interesting anecdote from time to time but no.

Lee Dixon put your hands down while you're talking, and as for Keown he just looks miserable

oh and Niall quinn, andy townsend, jamie redknapp (till recently), Ray wilkins and lawrenson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Dennis Irwin. Decent pundit by all accounts but his delivery is dour. I wouldn't be the biggest fan of Barry Glendenning either. I listen to Football Weekly quite regularly but he'd nearly put me to sleep half the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

Messi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Not sure if he is the most boring but Matt Holland appears painfully dull from his numerous tv appearances & Twitter postings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

elgriff wrote: »
    Messi?

Messi-Dolphins-lionel-andres-messi-14447030-452-610.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Alan Smith, the former Arsenal striker and a current BBC co-commentator, always strikes me as incredibly dull. His voice puts me to sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

oldyouth wrote: »
    Kenny Dalglish. Always miserable and can never understand a word he says. Gordon McQueen also
    Kenny Dalglish:confused:
    his trolling of the media last season was brillant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

MD1990 wrote: »
    My word. Is that what yous are calling it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I can't see past Mark Lawrenson.

All that money just to say pish like "they'll be disappointed with that".

Oh, and horrendous hair. You're losing it, Lawro. Get over it.

I'd love to know what Dunphy thinks of these absolute dullards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Poor Vinny from sky sports every time a presser was on he got destroyed by him it used to make me laugh so hard .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

cambo2008 wrote: »
    My word. Is that what yous are calling it :pac:
    listening to too much Ray Wilkins i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

George Graham
    Paul Lambert
    Alec McCleish
    Kenny Cunningham
    Tony Cottee
    Danny Mills
    Neil Lennon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

I can't see past Mark Lawrenson.

All that money just to say pish like "they'll be disappointed with that".

Oh, and horrendous hair. You're losing it, Lawro. Get over it.
    I'd have to agree with you there. He seems more interested in slagging off players haircuts/boots while commentating than actually providing anything insightful. It'd be the definition of boring if it wasn't so annoying. I remember during an Arsenal CL game earlier in the season, his co-commentator made some comment about Mertesacker being one of the tallest players in the Champions League, to which Lawrenson replied; "Well, he's certainly not the fastest".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Wolf Club wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with you there. He seems more interested in slagging off players haircuts/boots while commentating than actually providing anything insightful. It'd be the definition of boring if it wasn't so annoying. I remember during an Arsenal CL game earlier in the season, his co-commentator made some comment about Mertesacker being one of the tallest players in the Champions League, to which Lawrenson replied; "Well, he's certainly not the fastest".
    Was it him who kept making stupid remarks about Lopez looking like a bee or something during the United Real game?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

has to be avram grant..when he took over chelsea the players must have taken a while to adjust to him to his way compared to mourinho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I can't recall a single instance of a footballer saying something genuinely interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Crooks is the worst, followed by Macari. How did I forget Keown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

niallo24 wrote: »
    Michael Owen for the win. God he is painful, him branching out to punditry now is very very worrying. His twitter as well...awful. I follow him just to marvel at how boring one man can be.

Painfully smug as well, took Newcastle for a ride trousering millions, sat on his hole at OT for three years with convenient little recurring injury problems, gives an overall vibe of not giving a toss as well.

If someone like Gazza had 70% of his boring stability and Owen had 30% of Gazza's issues the world would be a fairer place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would say Shearer. Outstanding footballer but offers absolutely nothing as a pundit. Alan Hansen could just do MOTD with a tape recorder sat beside him and push that when he finishes garbling on and you'd get exactly what Shearer brings to the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

I think your confusing trolling with racist !!!

The way he acted, protecting a convicted racist was not cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

s8n wrote: »
    I think your confusing trolling with racist !!!

The way he acted, protecting a convicted racist was not cool
    You saying Dalglish was racist?

Every manager protects his players.

How can you protect someone who has been proven to be what he was accused of ?

The T-shirt stunt was embarrassing, the subsequent interviews and media activity was even worse. You can't argue that it wasn't a big factor in his sacking either ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

The T-shirt stunt was embarrassing, the subsequent interviews and media activity was even worse. You can't argue that it wasn't a big factor in his sacking either ??

848906666_NotAgain_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Its very simple and every manager does it , HE WAS PROTECTING HIS PLAYER !

Protecting against diving / stupid sending off / handball is one thing.

Racially abusing an opponent for the colour of their skin is something entirely different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No. We are not having the racist conversation again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

When Sunderland played an exhibition match in Athlone about 4 or 5 years ago Niall Quinn did an after dinner speech and had the room in stitches for about 90 minutes.

Then post match he stood at the bar of the Sheraton and entertained anyone that wanted to have a pint and a chat into the wee hours.

Roy Keane was at the same yoke.Even the elevator wouldn't go near that boring c*nt.
    Remember it well , Adams pissing in his Bed , Haughey at Italia 90 and the Teashop, The 2 Sunderland Lads who lost their false teeth , Story about meeting Keane for the 1st time since Saipan (Keanes Sunderland Job Interview), etc etc etc ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

galait wrote: »
    Remember it well , Adams pissing in his Bed , Haughey at Italia 90 and the Teashop, The 2 Sunderland Lads who lost their false teeth , Story about meeting Keane for the 1st time since Saipan (Keanes Sunderland Job Interview), etc etc etc ,

These stories sound hilarious! :D

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Esse85 wrote: »
    George Graham
    Paul Lambert
    Alec McCleish
    Kenny Cunningham
    Tony Cottee
    Danny Mills
    Neil Lennon

You obviously dont know much about footballers if you think Lennon is the most boring

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

I seen Scott Brown on sky last week doing the Celtic game... Found him very shy/boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Dempsey wrote: »
    You obviously dont know much about footballers if you think Lennon is the most boring

Ye boring accent, boring person, jsut coz he got bashed a few times and got a few death threats doesn't make him as a person interesting #monotonoustone
    Damien Duff seems real boring, and Robbie Keane. TBH most footballers/football people are very boring.
    interesting is someone like zlatan. came from nothing and now is arrogant that he's wealthy/got fame etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I seen Scott Brown on sky last week doing the Celtic game... Found him very shy/boring

Usually quiet given that he ran out on the crossbar challenge in a borat swimsuit
    EdenHazard wrote: »
    Ye boring accent, boring person, jsut coz he got bashed a few times and got a few death threats doesn't make him as a person interesting #monotonoustone
    Damien Duff seems real boring, and Robbie Keane. TBH most footballers/football people are very boring.
    interesting is someone like zlatan. came from nothing and now is arrogant that he's wealthy/got fame etc.

Idiotic, ignorant response

Lennon having a joke at a press conference, if you think he's boring then you dont know much about him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

These stories sound hilarious! :D

Care to elaborate?

It was one of the those you needed to be there things , In any case he had the place in stiches for well over an hour , He even kept saying sorry to his son who was about 10-12 and he was not to tell his mam etc etc,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Alan Smith surely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I had said Bryan Robson was the most boring, but after hearing Brian Kidd the last few days, he's definitely up there.

Advertisement