Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how should i plan this

Options
  • 12-03-2013 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

going on hols in june, spending a week in thailand then 2 in aus, i want to fly from bangkok and spend the first week in aus whitewater rafting, snokling in the great barrier reef and i also want to fit in the ayers rock before a chill out week in melbourne, is this possible, would appreciate a flight schedule and itenery from thailand on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Two points, do you know it'll be winter in Oz. rafting, diving the reef etc will be cold.

The reef, Uluru (Ayer's rock) and Melbourne are all pretty spread out. With only 2 weeks here, trying to fit them all in in 2 weeks will waste a lot if time.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 eoindoyle_syd

going on hols in june, spending a week in thailand then 2 in aus, i want to fly from bangkok and spend the first week in aus whitewater rafting, snokling in the great barrier reef and i also want to fit in the ayers rock before a chill out week in melbourne, is this possible, would appreciate a flight schedule and itenery from thailand on

Fly to cairns - 4 days
    http://www.adrenalin.com.au/snorkel-full-day-reef/qld-north-queensland/water/12859
    http://www.adrenalin.com.au/white-water-rafting-barron/qld-north-queensland/water/15088

Fly to Alice Springs - 3 days
    2/3 day tour or self drive

Fly to Melbourne - 7 days
    - chill out, hire a car, go to Great Ocean Road

Seems pretty manageable albeit a bit rushed and expensive with flights! Some cheap(ish) flights with Jetstar.

Uluru will make trip a lot more expensive but if thats not an issue go ahead. Might suggest going to Port Douglas as an alternative! (70km north of Cairns).

Damn...I wish I was doing this trip now! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

That's a bit of a whistle stop tour, but possible if you plan well.
    Bear in mind that you may get jetlag and BKK will be very humid with the start of the wet season. I'm not looking up a flight schedule for you because to be honest that's your job, it's your trip.

It should be start of the dry in Top End, so the WWR may not be as extreme. The Barron river (listed above) is less intense than the Tully at best of times. It's a longer hike from Cairns to get to the Tully though, it's easier accessed out of Mission Beach.
    There's plenty to choose from for a days snorkeling out of Cairns.
    You should see some of the rainforest either locally via skyrail to Kuranda or get up to Cape Tribulation if time allows.

Timewise, best to fly to Ayers Rock airport and take some trips out to Olgas, Kings Canyon from there. Even getting there from Alice is a long hike otherwise. This is all $$$, can be done in 3 days.
    A week in Melbourne should get you acquainted with the place, there will be AFL and the Lions Tour may still be here depending on your timing. It'll be colder in Melb and NT especially in the morning and evening. Days should be pleasant, coming from Ireland. Could drive out to Great Ocean Road but bear in mind that days are shorter, it'll be dark before 6pm and sunrise is about 7.30am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Change of plan folks , Ive decided to leave thailand for another time, so I will be spending the entire 3 weeks in Aus, my brother who is living in melbourne has said he will take some time off work so we can explore Aus together, so what are must see's/do's in Aus, how could I plan the 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

don't underestimate the weather in Melbourne, it will be crap that time of year. get your bro and head north.

• Advertisement

Alright, I'm finding it hard to plan this,Thailand is back on, I've 3 weeks in total with one of those in Thailand so that's only 2 weeks in Australia which doesn't really give me much time,my bro can only take a week off work as well, in reality i really only want to chill out but its nice to say you've been to a few places when you go back home, I've ruled out Ayers rock because it will take up too much time, my plan is to fly into Cairns then to Brisbane and then onto Sydney spending 2 or 3 days lazying on the beach or doing as much things in each place which don't take up much time, before a final 5-7 days in Melbourne after which ill go to Thailand for a week, is this a feasible plan

Alright, I'm finding it hard to plan this,Thailand is back on, I've 3 weeks in total with one of those in Thailand so that's only 2 weeks in Australia which doesn't really give me much time,my bro can only take a week off work as well, in reality i really only want to chill out but its nice to say you've been to a few places when you go back home, I've ruled out Ayers rock because it will take up too much time, my plan is to fly into Cairns then to Brisbane and then onto Sydney spending 2 or 3 days lazying on the beach or doing as much things in each place which don't take up much time, before a final 5-7 days in Melbourne after which ill go to Thailand for a week, is this a feasible plan

Just wondering should I do the goldcoast instead of cairns, brisbane or melbourne

• Registered Users Posts: 39 martyfurey

Do the goldcoast instead of brisbane. do cairns for a few days and organise white water rafting from there. or else skip cairns and go out to the whitsundays on boat for two days. it amazing and you get to do the diving/snorkling aspart of the package. also fraser island is very good trip for 3 days instead of goldcoast or brisbane. i did australia last summer and the two highlights were fraser island and the whitsundays. but be prepared. its winter out there and the weather is very much like ireland with rain and damp down in the melbourne region so try stay away from there as long as possible. sydney great aswell. sorry for giving you more options. would you possibly travel some of australia on your own for a few weeks aswell. its a shame to go that far and not do it right. and it a big shame to miss the ulura and kings canyon tour. that was truly amazing

and if you are planning in just going to bangkok 3 days is enough there.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Just wondering should I do the goldcoast instead of cairns, brisbane or melbourne

No. Go to Melbourne, unless your idea of a holiday is tacky bars and meter maids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Rubadubchub

No. Not really much on the Gold Coast. Currumbin nature park, theme parks and a few nice beaches like burleigh heads.

Surfers Paradise is massively over rated. Pretty much a sign, a very crowded beach and a load of strip clubs.

Pretty much a sign, a very crowded beach and a load of strip clubs.
    Eactly. !!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

There's not much to see in Melbourne. Do the Great Ocean Road though.

you got great ocean road, philip island with all the penguins, all the vineyards which are worth a visit, melbourne jail the death place of ned kelly. there are loads of things to see in melbourne. and make sure to get a game in the mcg. it is amazing. Gold coast is really nice. some amazing beaches and a great buzz in surfers paradise if ya wana go on the town for a few nights. lots to see in sydney aswell. do the bridge climb. well worth the money. And if you are out there during the lions tour try and get a few of the matches. there will be a massive atmosphere around them.

Advertisement