Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting in the UK? licence wise?

Options
  • 12-03-2013 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hi,
    I you have an Irish fire arms licence (for a rifle) can you shoot in the uk- i.e. transport your firearm over and shoot at an authorised range?

I read about a european licence????

For instance I may need to travel to UK for work and would like to continue shooting (target shooting).

Will this european licence (Irish issued) thing cover me in the uk for target shooting as well as transporting the fire arm? (am I understanding this right?)

If not, can I apply for a UK firearms licence or do I need to be in the UK for a perriod of time before applying for a licence for a rifle?

To take this a step further, taking into consideration that some EU countries ban certian types of firearm, does another european country fire arm licence allow you to transport and shoot in another EU country IF it is a licencable firearm in the 'target' country? if you follow???? (a pistol is not allowed in the uk so you can't bring one in, but a rifle maybe?).

Has this been discussed previously and I've missed it?

Regards,
    Liam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

To shot in the UK you need to have a temporary UK Firearms Certificate, and to get this you will need a EU Firearms Permit.

UK Does have some rifle restrictions, for example you cannot have a Semi Auto Centrefire Rifle, but normal bolt actions etc are ok.

With regard to getting as UK temporary permit, you will either need a sponsor or be a member of a club in the UK.

I normally shoot in the Phoenix in Bisley every year, and apply for permits through the NRA, and its a good process, (fill in form send off Europass and 25.00) so I cant really talk about the process for other ranges or clubs, but I am sure it would be similar.

I am also a member of the NRA in the UK, which gives the ability to rent firearms in Bisley for practice etc if you are in that area, which can be useful.

First thing to do is get your EU PASS, available free from the Gardaí, no specific form for this in (in most areas) but if you drop in a copy of your existing licenses, a photo and a covering letter stating you want one, it should only take a few days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You would need a European Firearm's Pass, and a UK visitor permit/license.

The Euro pass can be gotten from your local station (free), and the UK visitor's pass is applied for online here for £12. Transporting the firearm is another issue, and is covered under this post.

If the firearm is not permitted in the UK they will inform you when you apply.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jimy1971

Cass wrote: »
    You would need a European Firearm's Pass, and a UK visitor permit/license.

The Euro pass can be gotten from your local station (free), and the UK visitor's pass is applied for online here for £12. Transporting the firearm is another issue, and is covered under this post.

If the firearm is not permitted in the UK they will inform you when you apply.

Cass,

Would it be the same if I wanted to bring my shotgun up to the north to shoot geese next season?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Yup. Only difference being you need a PSNI visitor's permit for Nord iron instead of the UK one. It can be downloaded here.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement