Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VRT shocker

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Not quite that bad.

It IS that bad.

I had to produce bills, payslips and tax info to them here, when I brought my 'yoke' in years ago.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

galwaytt wrote: »
    It IS that bad.

I had to produce bills, payslips and tax info to them here, when I brought my 'yoke' in years ago.

You say "years ago". As I said in an earlier post, I brought my car over in 1996. That's the time I'm talking about. Things might be different now.
    But why would they want to see pay slips? and why would any clear thinking person see the need for these and produce them?. As I said, I certainly would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭plonker

Mhen66,how can they ask you a crazy price like that when these guys are advertising a 2003 and 2008 for way less-what the hell are they playing at,surely any vrt they get is extra revenue for the state instead of putting people of the idea???
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/campers/4731071

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/campers/4490662

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mhen66

I know plonker, it makes no sense what so ever. Appeal s ready for post now. Talk about hassle, can't get registration docs until I have doe because tax office won't tax it without doe cert. I'm not sure yet if I can get a doe test without a log book. I don't think I would buy abroad again !

Mhen66 wrote: »
    I know plonker, it makes no sense what so ever. Appeal s ready for post now. Talk about hassle, can't get registration docs until I have doe because tax office won't tax it without doe cert. I'm not sure yet if I can get a doe test without a log book. I don't think I would buy abroad again !

I don't agree with it but it makes sense in so far as putting people off buying abroad and protecting vehicle sales here at home.

No, you can't get a test done without producing the reg. doc. That will come through to you regardless of any appeal that you make.

Best of luck with the appeal. Lots of evidence to support your appeal I hope? keep them bogged down with plenty of paperwork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

plonker wrote: »
    ...,surely any vrt they get is extra revenue for the state instead of putting people of the idea???

....you are too kind, really.

No, Revenue have adopted the Irish model of screwing the one guy that does offer to do business with them, rather than encouraging any kind of wider activity that would increase volume at a fair rate.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mhen66

Just by way of updating everyone and thank you for all the replies. I'm a happy camper again. Just got word back from Revenue on my VRT appeal. Believe it or not, they went 100% with my appeal and agreed that the OMSP (Open Market Selling Price) was nine thousand less that they initially stated which I had argued in my comprehensive appeal. The refund will be approx 43% of the VRT charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Fair play - glad it worked out from you.
    It paid (43%!) to make a comprehensive appeal.

As I posted on the other thread, well done.

Also as I said, I think that everyone should appeal on principal. It will be the only way to get Customs and Excise to re-think how they arrive at their valuations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I don't agree with it but it makes sense in so far as putting people off buying abroad and protecting vehicle sales here at home.

No, you can't get a test done without producing the reg. doc. That will come through to you regardless of any appeal that you make.

Best of luck with the appeal. Lots of evidence to support your appeal I hope? keep them bogged down with plenty of paperwork.
    But all motorhomes are imported!!

• Advertisement

Very true odds on, and isn't VRT incorporated in the price you pay for a new (imported) car?.

I think I'm right in saying that all vehicles brought into this country, whether privately or by dealers have VRT added. Ours is just a bit higher than some other countries, just compare UK new car prices with ours.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

been reading thru this and well done on taking them on and winning.if only they worked out a fair system in the first place they'd save themselves a lot of hassle,time and paperwork and including the fact that they have to give back money too.i've recently bought a transit motorhome and lukily it's a '79 so not so much hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

bugsntinas wrote: »
    been reading thru this and well done on taking them on and winning.if only they worked out a fair system in the first place they'd save themselves a lot of hassle,time and paperwork and including the fact that they have to give back money too.......
    But it's keeping them in a well paid job with a good pension.

Come on everybody!. If we didn't pay the T.D's. and the top civil servants so much money, we wouldn't get the right people for the job, would we?.

Advertisement