Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP conflict

Options
  • 12-03-2013 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,
    I just saw an IP conflict message on my PC , it was set in sleep mode for
    a few hours and my wife was using her iPAd, but we have done this before and never got this message ..

Could someone have hacked into my WiFi ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Possibly, but the likelyhood is you are set to DHCP, and both devices were accidentally assigned the same IP. You should go into your router settings and assign static IP's, or otherwise reset the router and you'll be grand.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

jimb0 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I just saw an IP conflict message on my PC , it was set in sleep mode for
    a few hours and my wife was using her iPAd, but we have done this before and never got this message ..

Don't worry about it, its possibly some other device on the network (a phone, iPad etc.) used the same IP address as the PC had. It happens, nothing to do with being hacked or anything like that more than likely, if it's a common problem set a static IP address on the PC higher up, i.e: 192.168.1.56 etc. It's unlikely another device would be assigned anything that high

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

jimb0 wrote: »

No, it's the iPad that's to blame.
    I'd the same problem before.

The iPad goes into sleep mode but retains the IP address even after your router has expired its IP address lease.
    The router reassigns that IP address out to some other device, but when the iPad wakes up it tries reusing the old expired one.
    Result: two devices trying to use the same IP address.

The permanent way to avoid this is to assign a static IP address to the iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If your wife uses the ipad anywhere other than home, a static IP address might cause problems. Some routers allow pre-assignment of a particular IP to a device based on its MAC address. This would avoid any problem at home and still allow normal operation on another network which might use a different IP range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    If your wife uses the ipad anywhere other than home, a static IP address might cause problems.

Indeed. Better assign a static IP to the PC. Check the DHCP address pool of your router and use an IP address outside the pool.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If it happens again, instead of restarting your router, from the PC, open a command line and type
    ipconfig /release

press enter, then type:
    ipconfig /renew

press enter.

This will renew the IP address on your PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    If your wife uses the ipad anywhere other than home, a static IP address might cause problems. Some routers allow pre-assignment of a particular IP to a device based on its MAC address.

Yeah, that's what I meant, assign a static ip address to the iPad on the router, I can see how that's an ambiguous statement now.
    I've DD-WRT on my router, so I'm able to do it.

Actually, I manually assigned all my devices static IP addresses and disabled DHCP completely. But that's overkill here.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

the best way to avoid this its to log onto your router's control page and set ip reservations for both the pc and the ipad

then the dhcp server on the router will always reserve 1 ip address for the pc and 1 other ip address for the ipad

these days there is no real reason to use static ip addresses on a home broadband router

dhcp ip reservations will do the same job as static ip but still auto assign ip addresses to new devices such as iphones or other computers/printers.

my own setup is like this

bband router - 192.168.1.254 with DHCP on - IP Address Pool: 1 - 50 - WPKA2 encrytped
    |
    8 port giga switch
    |
    PC1 - Reserved on IP: 192.168.1.1
    PC2 - Reserved on IP: 192.168.1.2
    PC3 - Reserved on IP: 192.168.1.3
    PC4 - Reserved on IP: 192.168.1.4
    PC5 - Reserved on IP: 192.168.1.5
    Android Phone - Reserved on IP:192.168.1.6
    GF's Android Phone - Reserved on IP:192.168.1.7
    Wireless Printer/Scanner - Reserved on IP:192.168.1.8
    Neighbour 1's Laptop - Reserved on IP:192.168.1.9