Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Troublesome Neighbours (Advice Sought)

Options
  • 12-03-2013 11:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Myself and my partner live in rented accom in Galway. We live in an apartment complex, and our next door neighbours are awful. We have tried to put up with the noise etc, as I feel there is very little we can do about that. We have complained to our landlord (who is also theirs) several times, and nothing's been done. The big issue for us, however, is the constant smell of weed coming from the house, morning, noon and night. It actually gets into our apartment an awful lot, and makes our place stink. Spoke to security again tonight, who say that the landlord has been told so many times that these tenants are an issue, but is reluctant to do anything about it. Are we entitled to speak to our landlord and say if nothing is done, we wish to move out, and receive our deposit back? Sorry if that seems a silly question. Really appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Use of drugs is the domain of the Gardai. Personal experience is to call An Garda Siochaina and tell them there is illicit drugs being consumed in a local property. Don't be afraid to do this ! My GF did this recently and AGS were there pretty quick !

The PTRB (a blatant revenue earning device with no support for landlords) and the landlord are useless contacts in these circumstances. We have constant battles with landlords, management agents and AGS, over tenants in adjacent apartments. My GF owns her apartment and actually has substantially fewer rights than those in nearby rented apartments ! How can this be right ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dlart

Same thing happned to me when I moved into my apartment, neighbours turned out to be a nightmare after two weeks. Started second weekend with a party on a friday night went on until the monday. Spoke to the lads that were renting the place got nowhere, got onto the LL and got told he'd look into it. Following weekend same thing, party time again rang the LL saturday and sunday complaining, told me he'd get onto them about it. Following weekend it start's again so sent LL text message at 4 in the morning complaining, rings me back at 10 saying he's given them a warning, it starts again that night so i rang the LL at 2 in the morning ( he wasn't overly impressed told him if i could'nt sleep and he wasn't going to sort it i'd be leaving) he did arrive out at 4 and hear them in full swing.
    End result was they got the boot. And i'm still here 3 years later.
    If you have a look at http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tenants_rights_and_obligations.html
    •You are entitled to quiet and exclusive enjoyment of your home
    Is the first thing on the list of tennants rights.
    so you would be entitled to speak to you LL move out and get your deposit back espically as he is also the LL for you neighbours.
    You'd be best checking out the above website and following there guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Most apartment rental agreements backed up by the management company have a clause about music after 22:00 hours. Call them and complain or call ASG and tell them you suspect drug se at the premises. Things happen quickly after that ;) Probably not ethical but when nothing else works . . . Don't mock me . . .

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

ZENER wrote: »
    Probably not ethical but when nothing else works.
    What's not ethical?

Advertisement