Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hear about BT Infinity coming to Donegal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

chris_ie wrote: »
    For those in rural areas, have you looked into wireless broadband? I was on Smart BB when I lived in the town. Bought a house out of the town then and was dreading getting Eircom, think the neighbour was getting a max of 2mb or something. Luckily though we could see the wireless mast so we got that. On (up to) 50MB package. Get around 15-25MB (sometimes more). Pings were poor at the start but they upgraded some hardware recently and pings are good now, issues the odd time on XBox but not alot. Actually better overall at times than Smart if I'm honest.

whats your cap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

danniemcq wrote: »
    whats your cap?

There isn't a cap that I know of. Although if you are flat out downloading files I'd say they would get in contact. I'm always watching Netflix and do some downloading and no issues.....so far...

It is contended though, whereas Smart wasnt, but havent had an issue with that either really.

who are you with?

who are you with?

BlueBox/North West Electronics.

http://www.nwewn.com

All depends on whether you have line of sight to their masts and are not too far from it. Think there is a bit of a wait for installations too.

BlueBox/North West Electronics.

http://www.nwewn.com

All depends on whether you have line of sight to their masts and are not too far from it. Think there is a bit of a wait for installations too.

ah yes i have dealt with them in the past and swore never to use them again!

glad you having a better time of it!

• Advertisement

ah yes i have dealt with them in the past and swore never to use them again!

glad you having a better time of it!

Ha, ah right. What was the issue? I did have issues at the start, with the speed dropping alot and pings being poor, but now thats been sorted thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I used that crowd before too. Had good and bad experiences of them.

Also, I checked out their Derry and Donegal coverage and it says they only offer speeds of 1,2,3 meg for residential customers. Not much better than I get now.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I used that crowd before too. Had good and bad experiences of them.

Also, I checked out their Derry and Donegal coverage and it says they only offer speeds of 1,2,3 meg for residential customers. Not much better than I get now.

Where did you see they only offered 1,2,3 meg for residential? I'm residential! :D

I think they upgraded quite a bit recently so maybe I missed the bad times! :p

Edit : Ah you talking about the part on the site that shows 3,4 and 8 under BlueBox Broadband - Residential Prices? You might be able to get the next gen one, same as I'm on.

Ha, ah right. What was the issue? I did have issues at the start, with the speed dropping alot and pings being poor, but now thats been sorted thankfully.

pretty much this all the time.

Everytime i'd ring them up and complain about it they would claim it must be on my end that the issue was (it wasn't) and then a few minutes later it would start improving.

It was the same with a few others i knew in town it was always on our end but if one of us complained the other signals improved too

Everytime i'd ring them up and complain about it they would claim it must be on my end that the issue was (it wasn't) and then a few minutes later it would start improving.

It was the same with a few others i knew in town it was always on our end but if one of us complained the other signals improved too

Ah ok I get ya. Yeah I had something similar for a short while at the start. Hasnt happened in quite a while now though so hopefully its all sorted.

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'm about 100m from a cabinet. Currently on Smart's 16mb plan, getting about 14mb, if I remember correctly. Any idea if it will be an instant jump in speed for all sub-vendors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

Where are the masts situated around Letterkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Everyone get the leaflet in the door about efibre coming to our area?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

I was on the fone to smart last week asking about the fibre packages, the sales lady said that smart will be getting almost the same time as eircom. Her words not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

GIMickey wrote: »
    I was on the fone to smart last week asking about the fibre packages, the sales lady said that smart will be getting almost the same time as eircom. Her words not mine.

eircom have to make the fibre network available to all of the phone companies as soon as they launch.

When fibre launches in Letterkenny, you'll have a choice of which operator to go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

My favourite errors were when webpages such as google would randomly stop working. Everything was fine this end, ring them up to be told everything was fine on their end but magically the problem would resolve itself moments later. It was really, you could ping the sites but there was no return traffic.

My favourite errors were when webpages such as google would randomly stop working. Everything was fine this end, ring them up to be told everything was fine on their end but magically the problem would resolve itself moments later. It was really, you could ping the sites but there was no return traffic.

Are you you just didnt stand on the cable and block the data coming through? :P

I would love if they would update the lines out our way, but cant see it happening for a llllooooong time. I thought I had read a year or so back that some crowd had figured out how to get alot more out of existing old wiring, must not have come to much!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tonybhoy72

Spoke to rep of Smart online Re: Fibre Broadband
    Here is transcript
    [15:20:09] Mark: Hello, how may I help you?
    [15:20:39] 84.203.36.12: I live in Letterkenny, will you be upgrading to fibre at the same time as eircom?
    [15:21:33] Mark: yes we will indeed
    [15:22:27] 84.203.36.12: will I get it automatically or will it be different packages, as I live 40 mtre from new cabinets?
    [15:23:58] Mark: Yes we use the same lines so customers will be able to upgrade
    [15:24:30] Mark: It should be in by May
    [15:24:56] 84.203.36.12: when will we be informed of pricing?
    [15:25:31] 84.203.36.12: and will you be carrying tv in the future?
    [15:25:33] Mark: As soon as packages are released so before May
    [15:25:44] Mark: No immediate plans for it
    [15:25:52] Mark: tv that isSo looks like May :P

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

nice one lol. not long now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

No idea about Infinity, but I've just discovered the locations of a few of the new cabinets being put in. One is 450m away from me, and another is about 600m away. I'll be laughing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Flibbles wrote: »
    No idea about Infinity, but I've just discovered the locations of a few of the new cabinets being put in. One is 450m away from me, and another is about 600m away. I'll be laughing!

It's similar technology to infinity, phone companies all over the world are rolling it out.

Eircom call it "eFibre".

Solair wrote: »
    It's similar technology to infinity, phone companies all over the world are rolling it out.

Eircom call it "eFibre".

I meant about it coming to Donegal, I'm well aware of fibre technologies. :)

I meant about it coming to Donegal, I'm well aware of fibre technologies. :)

It's nout to do with BT Infinity though.

BT Ireland will be probably operating services over it though for Sky and Vodafone etc. So, it should mean that customers of other ISPs will be able to get fibre-to-cabinet speeds pretty much straight away when it launches in May.

ComReg sets May 20th as the earliest date they'll allow.

It's nout to do with BT Infinity though.

BT Ireland will be probably operating services over it though for Sky and Vodafone etc. So, it should mean that customers of other ISPs will be able to get fibre-to-cabinet speeds pretty much straight away when it launches in May.

ComReg sets May 20th as the earliest date they'll allow.

I didn't say it was related, I was just adding that I didn't know if Infinity was coming to Donegal or not so I was on topic, but could add extra (related) information about Eircom's new service (and how close they are to my house, bye bye 3mb max!).

I didn't say it was related, I was just adding that I didn't know if Infinity was coming to Donegal or not so I was on topic, but could add extra (related) information about Eircom's new service (and how close they are to my house, bye bye 3mb max!).

It's got huge potential for smaller towns/villages too if/when it reaches them as a couple of cabinets could cover a whole village with decent speeds.

Just got reply from Smart regarding Fiber.
    I am emailing you in relation to your online query with regards to the new fibre service been installed by Eircom. Customers that are on the Smart Telecom service will not be affected. Smart Telecom sister company Digiweb will be offering the new service once it has been launched.

Gonna give them a call after work and see can people move from Smart or have to wait on contract to expire

Just got reply from Smart regarding Fiber.

Gonna give them a call after work and see can people move from Smart or have to wait on contract to expire

Smart / Digiweb will probably offer it too. Any company currently doing DSL - Vodafone, Sky, UTV, Digiweb/Smart, etc can all use eircom's fibre access network to sell products.

You don't have to switch to eircom.

Digiweb have a register your interest page up now too. They are smart telecom. Smart is now only a trading name.

Smart / Digiweb will probably offer it too. Any company currently doing DSL - Vodafone, Sky, UTV, Digiweb/Smart, etc can all use eircom's fibre access network to sell products.

You don't have to switch to eircom.

Digiweb have a register your interest page up now too. They are smart telecom. Smart is now only a trading name.

Smart use their own infrastructure whereas digiweb piggyback on Eircom.

So Smart at some stage will have it but till then its their sister company Digiweb running it.

http://digiweb.ie/home/nga-fibre-broadband-register-your-interest

is where you can register

• Advertisement

Smart use their own infrastructure whereas digiweb piggyback on Eircom.

So Smart at some stage will have it but till then its their sister company Digiweb running it.

http://digiweb.ie/home/nga-fibre-broadband-register-your-interest

is where you can register

They'll have to port their customers over to eircom's cabinets.

Eircom will be using a technology known as 'vectoring'. This basically works by actively managing the crosstalk between wires in a given bundle coming from the cabinet.

It allows speeds of up to 100mbits instead of just 70mbits.

However, all customers have to be migrated to vectored DSL from the same DSLAM (the device in the cabinet or exchange).

So over the coming months everyone will be migrated from ADSL2 to VDSL regardless of who they're with.

Smart have local infrastructure in certain exchanges. This could be used for backhaul instead.

But, basically with vectoring LLU will be fairly dramatically changed.

Companies could install their own cabinets but they'd need to sync their equipment with eircom's to maintain vectoring.

Also it is likely that you will have to use the modem supplied as third party modems may "contaminate" the bundle if they're not compatible with vectoring. This would cause a speed drop for your neighbours!

In systems using this, the DSLAMs usually disconnect any modems that aren't compatible.

So basically there are two phases to the launch. The first will not be vectored and then when everyone is transferred to VDSL they can switch it on improving speeds and stability for everyone connected.

Advertisement